Author Topic: 2016 WeatherBug "NWS Chat"  (Read 22479 times)

Offline xcom

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
Re: Need Feedback for 2015 Roadmap
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2015, 09:35:20 PM »
When we revamp our Support Contact Form system for Backyard coming up, we're looking at ZenDesk or UserVoice as an option.

With UserVoice, we'd have the option to setup something like this:

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-6

It's basically a site where our user base can login, post suggestions and feedback for us, and vote on your favorite ones. Our teams would have direct access to this page and be able to see everything posted. We can also transparently keep you updated on the progress of your feedback by marking stuff we start and complete. I've seen it in action with the company above, and it's been successful.

If we decided to roll out something like this, would you like it and use it? Do you feel if we implemented this and had our teams read it and keep in better contact with our users on it with the progress on implementing your feedback, do you think it would improve the way we're communicating with our user base?
Its a start. For sure is going to be better than what you guys have now. ;)
I am in.

----
Davis Vantage Vue|Meteohub 5.0l (Build 7293) Running on Debian 7.9 x86 (oVirt)|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2015, 01:23:04 AM »
Some updates:

1. We're going to be launching our own branded store front for SmartThings coming up, as well as have a WeatherBug Home beta site launching this spring. That'll be the place where you can start having fun with the home automation stuff.

2. Our fix to get Backyard on desktop and mobile is ready to go. We're waiting to hear back from a couple publishing apps guys first to ensure they "approve" of the changes before we push it. I haven't heard anything from them yet. If I don't hear something this week, I'll start hunting down phone numbers and call them (some of them are overseas, so I'll have to hunt down a time to call them when they're not in bed. I do have a good internationally calling plan though).

3. We've decided to use Salesforce for our new support contact system. This is the same system we use for our support system across the board. This'll allow us to better streamline and approve how people contact us for support, lessen the chance of all the junk mail we're getting, as well as if support requests cross departments, it should be easier for us to send your support request to another department if need be (such as sending you into desktop support). We're still looking at UserVoice for a feedback system so we can better track feedback from users and keep in better contact with our user base.

4. We'll be deciding whether to transition our Backyard Community to "NING 3.0" or to BuddyPress soon. We have to transition to one or the other since our current engine is being phased out. As soon as we make the decision, we'll immediately begin work on designing the new community and launch it shortly afterwards. A new WeatherBug.com will also be coming this spring with a consistent design to the new Backyard Community (which the new Backyard Community will probably be rebranded under WeatherBug Home).
Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://weathertogether.net

Offline xcom

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2015, 11:29:26 AM »
You guys are moving fast.
Awesome!

----
Davis Vantage Vue|Meteohub 5.0l (Build 7293) Running on Debian 7.9 x86 (oVirt)|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2015, 07:42:26 PM »
You guys are moving fast.
Awesome!

About time we did. :-)
Nathan Parker

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2015, 07:43:49 PM »
Please read this. Temporary change in the way people need to contact me until the new support forms are in place. My WeatherBug inbox is being attacked heavily with spam. Even sent a virus to my inbox (although since I'm on a Mac, it didn't do any damage). So I've abandoned the inbox until the new support system is in place. I'll be getting a new inbox over there:

http://backyard.weatherbug.com/notes/Temporary_Support_Contact_Change?show=true
Nathan Parker

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2015, 06:13:11 PM »
Updates:

1. The new Support Contact Forms have been rolled out on our Backyard Community. I've placed them in the same places the old links were to contact me. They are working, but there's a few visual kinks we need to iron out (right now when one submits the form, it takes you to a "cannot load page"). I'm having my colleague with more HTML experience clean them up for me to make them better before I make the official announcement on the Backyard Community. The contact forms use the exact same support ticket system that the rest of our tech support teams use, so it's much easier for us to track support issues and send requests across departments if need be. Sending emails from the Backyard Station's test page also get ingested into the system. They do integrate with mobile apps, so I am able to use them on-the-go as well.

2. We've heard back from our publishing apps guys about the new Backyard Stations backend that'll fix Backyard Stations from displaying in desktop and mobile. There are a few last minute kinks found our engineering teams need to troubleshoot. So as soon as everything checks out, we'll be able to green light and deploy this so Backyard Stations can pop up in desktop and mobile, as well as there'll be a new login place where you can edit station data yourself. It's a good thing we've done the test and spent the extra time before deploying. We definitely found a few last minute kinks we want to iron out before we go live with it.

3. I'll be meeting with my teams next Wednesday to evaluate a couple CMS options for our Backyard Community revamp. We'll either make a decision next Wednesday or at least be very close to making a decision. As soon as we make a decision, we'll get to work on getting the new CMS designed and ready to launch for the Backyard Community 2015 revamp. I've seen a test migration with BuddyPress, and I like what I see. Our data migrated over into it OK, as well as it looks very powerful and customizable (plus anyone familiar with WordPress will feel right at home). It would take some cleaning up and design work before we could launch it, but wouldn't be that hard. We'll see how we want to go.
Nathan Parker

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2015, 08:45:14 PM »
Got another round of updates to announce:

1. Update on the new Backyard Stations system: We've got the server side stuff resolved. However, in order for data to flow into the new system (so Backyard Stations can appear on desktop and mobile), it is going to require an update to our API that we're going to have to send out to publishing app developers. We've got a product manager working on this, and as soon as the documentation is finished, we'll get the API out to publishing app developers ASAP. As soon as they each implement in the updates and release updates to their publishing apps, people's stations will be migrating into the new system, and the data will appear in desktop and mobile, you'll be able to login and edit station data, etc. It's a little more complicated to get this going than we had hoped, but the good news is, we're doing it correctly from the start, we have a product manager overseeing this (no absolutely no way our teams can drop the ball on it), and we're working to get the API's out and get people onto the new system as soon as we can.

2. We've made a decision on the CMS for the Backyard Community. We're going to have to stick with NING. The BuddyPress migration wasn't as smooth as we had hoped. The more we dug around in it, the messier it became. Trying to migrate the data from NING to BuddyPress would be extremely messy, time consuming, and still probably flop in some sort. So we're going to stick with NING. However, we will be forced to upgrade to "NING 3.0" coming up. It's supposed to be lightyears ahead better than the current version of NING we're on, and we'll be able to more easily migrate content over while still re-designing the site and making it cleaner and fresher. We're also going to communicate better with NING so as our end users have pain points that they want addressed, if it's something we can't directly address, we're going to communicate with NING and push to get those pain points addressed.

3. Our signup page for WeatherBug Home has "officially" dropped tonight. We've had it up for a while, but we officially announced that we're taking registrations for those who haven't signed up for it yet. The WeatherBug Home interface is going to launch sometime this Spring. We'll have more details closer to launch time. When we re-design the Backyard Community coming up, we're also going to work to integrate it into and under the WeatherBug Home brand.

Here's our WBH announcement just in case you missed it:
Weather is the #1 driver of home energy use. When itís hot, youíre likely to blast your air conditioning and vice versa. Weather is a key factor in determining your monthly energy costs, putting WeatherBug in a unique position to help people save energy and stay comfortable.

WeatherBug Home is our latest offering. Itís an innovative application of our big weather data combined with smart meter data and the power of two-way connected thermostats to automatically deliver energy efficiency given the weather. Check out our products here!

Itís a simple and revolutionary, patent-pending idea that is enabled by our unique weather data and a lot of engineering. Sign up for WeatherBug Home. Stay comfortable. Save money. Be happy.

For more information, visit our website.

Want to sign up now? Go here.

The link you'll need to go to is http://weatherbughome.com.
Nathan Parker

Offline xcom

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2015, 08:58:12 PM »
Good job! You guys are going 100mph! Go Go Go!!! :D
I signed up some time ago so now waiting for that special email :D

----

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2015, 09:23:28 PM »
We're sure trying. I'm also taking two languages this year, two other college courses, and consulting with another college to help them launch an online college program, so I'm personally going 100 mph and overloaded. :-)

You'll probably get the special email come spring. That's when we plan to have the WBH site launched. In the meantime, our next mobile apps update are going to have a hint about what's to come in WBH, so be sure to look for that. :-)

By the way, WBH is my abbreviation for "WeatherBug Home". You'll see me using it a lot as the year goes on.
Nathan Parker

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2015, 09:24:11 PM »
I should nickname this forum the "WeatherBug Grapevine", as it's the first place I post WeatherBug news/updates to before anyone else gets a chance to hear it. :-)
Nathan Parker

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2015, 12:12:06 AM »
I'll be on a live show called POLYGON Friday night at 7PM CST to answer questions related to WeatherBug. I'll also be monitoring my personal Twitter feed @mallardnathan during the live show, so feel free to tweet me your questions. Here's the link to the live stream. http://iawx.net/polygon
Nathan Parker

Offline xcom

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2015, 10:49:08 AM »
I'll be on a live show called POLYGON Friday night at 7PM CST to answer questions related to WeatherBug. I'll also be monitoring my personal Twitter feed @mallardnathan during the live show, so feel free to tweet me your questions. Here's the link to the live stream. http://iawx.net/polygon

Awesome.
Thanks, Will do!

----

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2015, 12:16:23 AM »
For those of you who missed seeing my interview on POLYGON, I'm trying to get a copy of the video footage, and I'll post a link here once I have it.

Had another meeting today with my teams. Here's the latest updates:

1. We're going to shoot for meeting every two weeks so I can track the progress of what's going on. This way no more long lapses of "no information".
2. We are sticking with NING for our community CMS but moving to NING 3.0 ASAP. We're going to begin putting in our migration request to see what it's going to take to get it migrated over. We plan to launch the new community when we launch either the new WeatherBug.com or when we launch the WeatherBug Home portal login site, whichever one our teams decide on. We'll either theme the new community off of the new WeatherBug.com or the WeatherBug Home portal, again depending on what our teams decide.
3. Got a sneak preview of the new WeatherBug.com today. I can't release the hardcore details on it to spoil any major surprises, but I will say it's faster, simpler to navigate, and the maps on it are going to be beautiful. Silverlight as a requirement is officially dead, and it uses standard HTML. How we'll implement Backyard Stations into the new maps are going to be seamless and on par with WU.
4. SSO is coming that we can use between the new community, WeatherBug Home portal, Backyard Stations system, and WeatherBug.com (as well as desktop and mobile apps). Ad free experience for Backyard Station owners is coming across the board. But we're not stopping there. We're going to have some other goodies we'll be giving away to active users on the community, some REALLY high end stuff as well. So we are not only FINALLY giving you something for your Backyard Station data and for contributing to the community, we're going to give you some VERY good incentives to be active. I can't breathe out all the details yet, but we're going to give you a LOT more incentive goodies than WU has even dreamed of.
5. WeatherBug Home portal still on track for spring launch. Probably late spring. I got to see an update to our mobile apps today that's going to give some hints to come with WBH. Again, I can't give you specific details (can't spoil it), but it's going to look REALLY neat. And we'll be releasing another update to mobile this year where just when you think it can't get any better, it will.
6. We've got some other thermostats we'll be supporting with WBH that I can't specifically mention yet, but I got to see one of them today, and I'll be testing it coming up as another "top secret gift". I can't tell you what it is, but it's even going to blow the Nest out of the water. For those with Nest and other smart thermostats though, don't worry. We still have plans to offer support for them.
7. Backyard Webcams are still coming. We're holding off supporting them until the new Backyard Stations system drops so we can link your station to your webcam. We still have full plans to include it in our lineup though.
8. We still need to figure out how to include a Mac version of WeatherBug. We're trying to see if we can at least update our Chrome desktop app so it puts a temperature in the Mac's menu bar so Mac users have "something" in the meantime.
9. UV/Solar data from Backyard Stations will be used in WBH coming up, so that's one area we will heavily be doing more with UV/Solar data. Any other feedback you want to give us on implementing it, feel free to.
10. We're going to open up some of our API's to everyone to make it easier to download historical data from their Backyard Stations coming up. We're also wondering how we should disply historical data on the new WeatherBug.com (tables, charts, graphs, etc.). So any feedback you want to give us, please do.

We're working overtime to deliver a breakthrough experience in 2015. We're ready to knock out your "pain points" and knock the weather industry off its feet.
Nathan Parker

Offline jgentry

• Gentry Field Station
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2015, 09:16:22 PM »
Hey Nathan,

I think it would be cool if WeatherBug not only receive UV and Solar Radiation data from the PWS, but also from other sensors like soil temp, leaf wetness, soil moisture, and extra temp stations. And also include historical summaries and graphs with those extra sensors.

About what time do you expect the Backyard stations to be viewable on WB10 and mobile apps?
Davis Vantage Pro2. SHT 31. WU: KXALJEMI2 & KALTHORS2 CWOP: C6353 & C6358

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2015, 09:54:17 PM »
Hey Nathan,

I think it would be cool if WeatherBug not only receive UV and Solar Radiation data from the PWS, but also from other sensors like soil temp, leaf wetness, soil moisture, and extra temp stations. And also include historical summaries and graphs with those extra sensors.

About what time do you expect the Backyard stations to be viewable on WB10 and mobile apps?

I can definitely pass that along. I was hoping we'd have everything in place ready to launch on desktop and mobile, but it's taking extra effort to do it. I don't have a solid ETA yet. I do know we have a product manager working on it as we speak. All the various publishing apps will need to be updated as well, so that's a little more effort than I thought it would take, but at least once they're done, everyone will be on the new system and finally have an overall better experience. In my next meeting, I'll see if I can get a more definite ETA.
Nathan Parker

Offline Stetson1

• Stetson Hills Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Stetson Hills Weather
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2015, 12:33:42 AM »
Your website is a cluster, ads everywhere disrupting everything I try and do. Seriously why would I upload data to you if you make it so difficult to view. You really need to kill off all the ads. The website is like a seizure machine with all the background changes, pop downs and such. That is one of the worst websites I have ever seen.

Weather Underground PWS KCOCOLOR131
MADIS ID: D4524

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2015, 03:45:30 PM »
Your website is a cluster, ads everywhere disrupting everything I try and do. Seriously why would I upload data to you if you make it so difficult to view. You really need to kill off all the ads. The website is like a seizure machine with all the background changes, pop downs and such. That is one of the worst websites I have ever seen.

When we launch the new WeatherBug.com coming up, and once we get the new Single Sign On solution in place in it, we're definitely going to provide an ad-free experience for Backyard Stations owners. It'll work exactly the same as WU. Additionally, I have told our teams for "totally free" users (those without Backyard Stations or without a ad-free subscription), lessen up on the ads and make them way less intrusive. I told our CEO directly "Ads should never get in the way of weather content. Period."
Nathan Parker

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2015, 01:56:40 AM »
Updates:

Not April Fool's Joke: Today we launched a new WeatherBug iOS app that has a sneak preview of some of our home energy stuff. When you see it, you're going to think it's pretty dang neat looking. Well, it's even going to get better this spring.

The cross-platform, open-source weather publishing app is coming along. It'll support all the major weather networks (us, WU, CWOP, PWS, etc) out of the box, as well as support Davis stations out of the box. We need to add support for a range of weather station brands. What other brands do we need to add support for?
Nathan Parker

Online ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2015, 09:14:17 AM »
:lol: :lol: Just saw this, so funny. I feel your sentiments, if a site has even 1 popup it goes on my not visit list. Ads have become so bad I've stopped going to many sites I once visited. ESPN, many news sites etc. etc. I have zero patience for popups, flash players especially with volume auto starting etc. So my web surfing is getting smaller and smaller. Same thing has happened with television its become such a commercial fest I can't stand watching anymore. I suffer through sports by channel surfing and forget about the game... #-o
Flash control and ad blocker plus is a must nowadays.
Randy, the Aviator is my father in 1963 with his Indian bike

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2015, 04:52:03 PM »
I personally feel for people's pain that's experienced the ads. The other night, I needed to quickly get to my station data. Upon visiting WeatherBug.com, the ads on our site covered up the Zip Code box to the point where I couldn't even enter my Zip Code.

I've let our teams know this is totally unacceptable.

I've seen some images of our new WeatherBug.com coming up, and I believe it'll finally be a breath of fresh air.
Nathan Parker

Offline Stetson1

• Stetson Hills Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Stetson Hills Weather
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2015, 01:47:48 PM »
Just tell them to stop with all ads. If nothing else look at weather underground, nice and clean. Your site will continue to seem amateurish as long as you keep dropping ads everywhere.

Weather Underground PWS KCOCOLOR131
MADIS ID: D4524

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2015, 03:05:23 PM »
Just tell them to stop with all ads. If nothing else look at weather underground, nice and clean. Your site will continue to seem amateurish as long as you keep dropping ads everywhere.

That's exactly what I told them. I told them to take a look at WU, and I even gave them my personal login to WU so they could see the ad-free experience under my station account. Good news is we have plans to offer an ad-free WeatherBug.com to station owners the same way WU works. One of the things in the works right now is a new Single Sign On system that will give every registered user access to a new "customer system". Every registered user will get some form of freebie from us, as well as some free API stuff. Backyard Station owners will get an ad-free experience at WeatherBug.com, as well as we're going to work to bring that same experience to desktop and mobile. We also have plans to give away more freebies to more active users, so the more you get involved, the more free stuff in our system you can earn (some of which usually sells for over $1,000/year). We're also going to do more with our API's so you'll be able to do more with your Backyard Stations' data, as well as do more with WeatherBug Home and all the HA stuff.

Some of this may not drop exactly when the new WeatherBug.com launches. It really just depends on how far along we are on it all when it launches. The good news is we're working overtime behind the scenes, and I've personally been able to see some of the progress to ensure we're making progress and not "vaporware". When we put all the pieces together, not only is all of your Backyard Stations "pain points" going to be eliminated, but we're going to do a lot more fun stuff customer's haven't even asked for. :-)

So bottom line is, we're giving customers everything they want and a whole lot more.
Nathan Parker

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2015, 11:11:21 PM »
UPDATE: We're in the process of wishing to collect and test indoor data from Backyard Stations before we officially launch WeatherBug Home for indoor data.

In the meantime, you can message your Backyard Station's publishing app developer and request that he add the following strings to the publishing app you're using:

indoortempf - [F indoor temperature F]
indoorhumidity - [% indoor humidity 0-100]

These are the same strings WU uses for indoor data.

I've messaged a couple of publishing app guys, but I haven't had a chance to message everyone yet, so anyone that can help me out, that'd be great.

Later on, we have plans to work on a more official API for indoor data (so these strings may change down the road), and we're not displaying indoor data anywhere just yet. Our goal simply right now is to start collecting and benchmarking indoor data from existing Backyard Stations and be able to compare it with other sensor data we're testing (Netatmo, SmartThings, etc.) to see how accurate the data is we can receive from Backyard Stations and indoor data. Then once we work on an official API and fully launch WBH, your indoor data from your Backyard Stations are going to be able to be used in smart home/home automation stuff.
Nathan Parker

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2015, 08:17:01 PM »
Latest Updates:

1. New WeatherBug.com and Backyard Stations Backend are coming along. No definite ETA on when both will be launched, but they are in the works, and progress is being made.

2. We still have plans for CWOP and haven't abandoned it. No ETA on its implementation, but it's on the "to do list". My CTO is going to try to get me better progress reports for the new Backyard Stations system, WeatherBug.com, and CWOP in an upcoming meeting so I have a better idea when they will drop.

3. In a couple weeks from now, we're going to start migrating our Backyard Community to the NING 3.0 upgrade in a test environment. This'll let us see what comes over and what we have to work on. I'll be out of classes for the summer, so I'll be able to devote a lot more time to it. We're going to theme it off the new WeatherBug.com and launch it roughly around the time the new WeatherBug.com launches for consistency.

4. WeatherBug Home Stuff is still on track. We've decided to do more with integrating it into our mobile app first then scale up to doing more with it on the web. Focusing on mobile first will allow our WeatherBug Mobile apps to integrate with a lot of your smart home/HA stuff faster, then we can tie it all into the web with a single sign on later.

5. New open source Backyard Publishing app still in the works. The author of the program is going to be the main sponsor (aka it won't be a WeatherBug sponsored program so that way it can support all the other major networks out of the box). He's going to host the source code and downloads on GitHub, then I'll basically link to it from the Backyard Stations page when he's ready. He's also wanting to know besides DAVIS, what other station brands should he support?

6. We're also moving the source code for the WeatherLink Module (we've already open sourced it) to GitHub, so that way we no longer have to have control over hosting it. Anyone that wants to work on development of it can simply jump in and have fun with it without having to go through us every time a change is made. Let the community totally take it over and do as they wish with it.

Thanks!
Nathan Parker

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
Re: 2015 WeatherBug "Grapevine"
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2015, 12:21:13 AM »
I've re-named this thread the 2015 "WeatherBug Grapevine". We've moved to having internal meetings on Backyard every two weeks. Every two weeks, after we have a meeting, I'll report back here with any updates I have. We're having our next meeting next week.

This is the place and thread where you'll hear any new stuff first, even before it goes out over "official" channels. This allows me to give you constant communication and updates about the latest going on at WeatherBug, so communication is transparent, and you're not continually left in the dark anymore.

I'll of course continue to post "official" announcements on Backyard.WeatherBug.com and my social media sites, but this is just an informal way I can give you updates every couple of weeks so you can hear "something" and be kept up to date with the latest news.
Nathan Parker

anything