Author Topic: 2016 WeatherBug "NWS Chat"  (Read 22510 times)

Offline catdon

Re: 2016 WeatherBug "NWS Chat"
« Reply #175 on: December 03, 2016, 07:02:22 PM »
Wow this thread was started 2 years ago...sorry if I missed it but has anything been accomplished with the pws on WeatherBug?
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #176 on: December 03, 2016, 08:28:31 PM »
Wow this thread was started 2 years ago...sorry if I missed it but has anything been accomplished with the pws on WeatherBug?

Sorry I've been MIA from this thread for a bit. I've been dealing with the WeatherBug-xAd transition. There's another thread on here I posted recently about it.

Here's what's been done so far:

1. We released a "PWS Graph" page over the summer that allows people to access their PWS while we wrapped up getting the new system online. It is at http://pws.ensb.us, and there's also a way to access it from the WeatherBug mobile app (video is on the PWS Graph page). You can view and even graph your PWS there.

2. We're getting closer to getting the new PWS system ready. I have had a chance to view and get my hands on our new PWS portal that allows PWS operators to login to an account and manage their PWS. I really like what I am seeing with the new portal, and from what I see, it looks completed. Adding and managing PWS stations is very clean and simple to do inside the new portal. We need to perform some testing on it before releasing it to the public, and I will personally perform my own battery of tests on it as well, but I do like what I see, and I believe you will be pleased with the results as well.

3. The new PWS portal was going to be tied to our new WeatherBug Account login. If you have downloaded our mobile apps and have created a WeatherBug Account using them, you were one step ahead and ready to go when the new PWS system launches. However, with the sale of the WeatherBug brand to xAd, there may be some slight changes in this, as well as some minor branding changes. I don't have anything specific to report yet, but read the WeatherBug-xAd thread on here for more details.

4. With the new PWS system is coming changes to our PWS Publishing API to improve the PWS publishing experience for operators. I have reviewed the early states of our PWS Publishing API documentation, and our revised PWS API also seems completed. We have made some internal testing with it with some international stations, and before we officially release our updated PWS Publishing API, we will choose one or a handful of existing PWS publishing app vendors to offer us a beta testing period with it and collect their feedback. Once we are comfortable with releasing the updated PWS Publishing API, we will release it to all existing PWS Publishing app vendors as well as release it to the public for any new PWS Publishing app vendors ready to come on board with support for us. As each PWS Publishing app vendor incorporates our updated PWS Publishing API, they will release updates to their PWS Publishing app, in which they will notify customers of the new release. When your app has been updated to take advantage of our revised PWS Publishing API, you will want to update to the version containing the updated PWS API.

5.  In terms of seeing PWS data in WeatherBug's mobile apps, WeatherBug.com, desktop apps, etc., I was informed by our product manager that the addition will be "fairly easy to add to our mobile app" but will "need some work on the backend". I was working to obtain a more concrete ETA on when PWS data will be viewable (currently it is scheduled for "second half of Q2" which is a little cryptic and was  area I need more clarification in). With the WeatherBug-xAd transition though, there might be some slight adjustments to this. I don't have anything specific to report at the moment, but I'll keep you posted as I hear more.
Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://weathertogether.net

Offline catdon

« Reply #177 on: December 03, 2016, 10:35:07 PM »
OK Nathan, thanks for the update. I think you have an opportunity here to pull people from WU if people  like the new setup.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #178 on: December 03, 2016, 11:40:56 PM »
OK Nathan, thanks for the update. I think you have an opportunity here to pull people from WU if people  like the new setup.

That, and it's possible PWS data could be displayed in other places in addition to "WeatherBug". We'll likely roll our own "PWS Portal" on Earth Networks (probably take the existing PWS Graph, re-brand it, and add to it), and now that we're becoming more of a raw data provider, it's possible we can make it easier for others to tap into our PWS data feeds and do stuff with our data through API's...although specifically is what remains to be seen and announced.

Three areas I'd personally like to see PWS data in (this is speaking personally and NOT an official company announcement) is in AllisonHouse (so I can display the data on GR), WSV3, and Baron (so TV stations with Baron could integrate PWS data on-air, plus public safety officials could use it in Baron Threat Net). Those would be three fun places to see PWS data used (again, I'm speaking as a personal wishlist and not as a company announcement).
Nathan Parker

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #179 on: December 03, 2016, 11:45:20 PM »

Another thing I'll throw out there. I'm not here to completely "pull" people from WU. I actually send MY PWS data to WU, and I actually have a very friendly working relationship with WU (I've even been on the WU show before as a guest). I also have a great working relationship with PWS Weather, etc. If people think all us PWS guys are in a bitter rivalry to "win over" exclusive rights to PWS operators' data and are in a competition match, they're dead wrong. I actually get along extremely well with the weather industry in general, and extremely well with all the various PWS networks and send my data to any and all networks that'll take my data. The way I look at PWS networks is we're all here to help people gain better, more accurate weather and save lives. I'll personally send my data to anyone who wants it, as well as continue to use my position to fight for PWS operators to ensure they have the best PWS experience I and the industry can give them.
Nathan Parker

anything