Author Topic: Davis Facebook page requesting input on Vantage Pro 3  (Read 27253 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Davis Facebook page requesting input on Vantage Pro 3
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2015, 11:37:00 AM »
Interesting topic and indeed many interesting ideas, I really thing the Pro2 is now becoming slightly outdated - just look at the design of the console... I think the new features should be divided into two categories:
- interface - by that I mean the console design - this should now include a touchscreen display, which would save space for buttons and allow for a bigger display with more info, nice colored LCD panel, change the software GUI etc.
- HW - especially: SD slot for data logging, wifi enabled sending of data to allow remote access to data straight from console, the mentioned possibility of getting input from solar and UV sensor via the anemometer, as a bonus some new sensors available optionally, such as lightning detection, cloud base, visibility?

I found this topic, which is now more than a yr old, so it would be interesting to know if anyone has any info if something changed since then.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2015, 02:36:11 PM »
Easy one for me. My ISS sits in a pain in the a$$ location to get to (unfortunate necessity) to see if my fan is still running. Case in point, yesterday I went out into the desert to check it and sure enough, not running. I've mentioned this to Davis several times about having something on the console that indicates whether the fan is running or not so people like me don't have to climb cinder block walls and stroll through cactus to look at it. 

Greg_M

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 03:43:42 PM »
Instead of a RS232 or USB dongle. how about a WiFi dongle that will upload to the net?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »
Easy one for me. My ISS sits in a pain in the a$$ location to get to (unfortunate necessity) to see if my fan is still running. Case in point, yesterday I went out into the desert to check it and sure enough, not running. I've mentioned this to Davis several times about having something on the console that indicates whether the fan is running or not so people like me don't have to climb cinder block walls and stroll through cactus to look at it.
Agreed, but I would also like similar "feedback" of BATTERY VOLTAGE done on ALL of their wireless sensors, such as: (a) ISS, (b) the #6372 Wireless Temp Station, etc.
The more, the merrier. And it's not like these things are the moon.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2015, 06:31:19 PM »
Speaking of fan running you can hear the AC fan I installed from 30' away.
That would be a nice add on option for Davis to offer higher velocity AC fan setup. These fans are much cheaper then whats offered now with the solar setup and run forever. (Maybe that's the problem) I've never had a failure yet, as long as its a quality fan rated for low temperatures and the customer doesn't mind running power, many already do have power for the snow heater.

I just think it would be a great option. They could even make money selling the wire maybe something that can be directly buried if there is such a wire.
Randy

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2015, 06:37:54 PM »
Instead of a RS232 or USB dongle. how about a WiFi dongle that will upload to the net?
Why a dongle and not built in WiFi like the Ambient WS1000?
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Greg_M

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2015, 06:41:58 PM »
I was thinking of people that already have a unit but haven't bought a dongle, but that's a good idea

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2015, 06:47:37 PM »
I was thinking of people that already have a unit but haven't bought a dongle, but that's a good idea
Good point. :)
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2015, 07:39:10 PM »
Speaking of fan running you can hear the AC fan I installed from 30' away.
That would be a nice add on option for Davis to offer higher velocity AC fan setup. These fans are much cheaper then whats offered now with the solar setup and run forever. (Maybe that's the problem) I've never had a failure yet, as long as its a quality fan rated for low temperatures and the customer doesn't mind running power, many already do have power for the snow heater.

I just think it would be a great option. They could even make money selling the wire maybe something that can be directly buried if there is such a wire.
I would LOVE to go AC but completely impractical for my setup, hence the indicator I would really like to have. I've somewhat tried to think of my own way, but not smart enough to figure it out. ](*,)

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2015, 08:59:16 PM »
As mentioned a wifi console, but also a console that looks good enough that the wife will allow it in the main living area. How about the back light not affecting the indoor temp and it turn on and off automatically depending on time of day. These are very nice features that the WS100 have.

Lastly I think they can keep their quality reputation and lower the pricing some. As mentioned in other threads they used to have a $100 referb. That is $100 to replace all the critical components that set Davis apart from the rest and provide the quality. That means all the other parts are non critical and this is where they need to cut costs like their competitors have. Many other stations are almost 1/2 the cost of Davis.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2015, 09:25:27 PM »
Cut costs?  Offshore it.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2015, 09:48:17 PM »
They could even make money selling the wire maybe something that can be directly buried if there is such a wire.

There is, it's termed Type UF

Cut costs?  Offshore it.

Most, if not all, the parts currently are. At best it is assembled in the US.
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2015, 11:03:45 PM »
My main gripe :evil:, and wishful proposal for Davis stations.

I've read forecasters use MSLP but when I look at data supplied on NWS websites conditions show altimeter as the primary barometric pressure. We also know CWOP wants altimeter, media and radio quote altimeter not MSLP even the weather maps use altimeter so why do Davis stations convert pressure into MSLP.

Are we suppose to forecast with our Davis stations? I don't think so. Wouldn't it be nice if Davis stations were on common ground with everyone else instead of jumping through hoops for altimeter. At the very least have an option because most of us are just weather enthusiast/hobbyist and don't forecast. 
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2015, 01:35:07 AM »

I've read forecasters use MSLP but when I look at data supplied on NWS websites conditions show altimeter as the primary barometric pressure. We also know CWOP wants altimeter, media and radio quote altimeter not MSLP even the weather maps use altimeter so why do Davis stations convert pressure into MSLP.

Are we suppose to forecast with our Davis stations? I don't think so. Wouldn't it be nice if Davis stations were on common ground with everyone else instead of jumping through hoops for altimeter. At the very least have an option because most of us are just weather enthusiast/hobbyist and don't forecast.
A thread that I was "participating" in was locked over this very subject a few months ago. I, like 99% of the country use the altimeter setting. Your suggestion is an excellent one.

Offline ct

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2015, 03:08:39 AM »
Easy one for me. My ISS sits in a pain in the a$$ location to get to (unfortunate necessity) to see if my fan is still running. Case in point, yesterday I went out into the desert to check it and sure enough, not running

On one of my failed fans,  having recently bought a lifetime supply of motors for about $2 each, I replaced the motor and also added a hall effect sensor and magnet.   I will attach this to a microcontroller and send RPMs wirelessly.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2015, 08:03:29 AM »

A thread that I was "participating" in was locked over this very subject a few months ago. I, like 99% of the country use the altimeter setting. Your suggestion is an excellent one.

Yeah I've seen it get heated in discussions. For one, much of the country live at or near sea level so for them its really a non-issue where .01-.03 is the typical offset, but for many others example today at 2588' my MSLP pressure is 30.67 and altimeter 30.44. Not good and unusable. 
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2015, 02:07:39 PM »

Yeah I've seen it get heated in discussions. For one, much of the country live at or near sea level so for them its really a non-issue where .01-.03 is the typical offset, but for many others example today at 2588' my MSLP pressure is 30.67 and altimeter 30.44. Not good and unusable.
I'm at 2400' but figured after trial and error to set the elevation at 0. I then set the "altimeter" with the airport when it was around 29.92", which is standard pressure. I read a little low in high pressure, and a little high in low pressure but never more than .03" off. Acceptable, but your idea for a choice is certainly preferable.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2015, 02:55:37 PM »

I'm at 2400' but figured after trial and error to set the elevation at 0. I then set the "altimeter" with the airport when it was around 29.92", which is standard pressure. I read a little low in high pressure, and a little high in low pressure but never more than .03" off. Acceptable, but your idea for a choice is certainly preferable.

I do the exact same as you. Set at 0' elevation, I'm off by .04 max when pressure is really high or low. In between I'm usually on or .01-.02 range But not everyone has a nearby airport for reference, those below 800' or so can just leave it alone and use the MSLP. Many have no clue its even an issue because its not for them.
Randy

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2015, 02:57:00 PM »
I'm right at 7,000 ft here.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2015, 03:10:50 PM »

I do the exact same as you. Set at 0' elevation, I'm off by .04 max when pressure is really high or low. In between I'm usually on or .01-.02 range But not everyone has a nearby airport for reference, those below 800' or so can just leave it alone and use the MSLP. Many have no clue its even an issue because its not for them.
I've been in aviation my entire life, be it professionally or otherwise, so using the altimeter as my reference was a complete no-brainer for me.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2015, 03:15:05 PM »
Ryan here is a great example, your altimeter and MSLP are exact (30.19). Now look at the Valentine airport (KVTN)with different weather variables equated into MSLP.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2015, 03:34:19 PM »
Ryan here is a great example, your altimeter and MSLP are exact (30.19). Now look at the Valentine airport (KVTN)with different weather variables equated into MSLP.
Seeing this reminds me of a dog watching TV, he knows something is there, just doesn't know what it is. :???:

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2015, 03:52:06 PM »
Seeing this reminds me of a dog watching TV, he knows something is there, just doesn't know what it is. :???:

Temperature for sure maybe humidity must play a big part. St.Louis (500') difference is .04 range today but its humid and snowing at 21 degrees. Birmingham at (643' in the 40's is almost dead on. And Galveston of course is exact with MSLP and altimeter.  MSLP is crap if you ask me... :lol:
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2015, 04:10:48 PM »

Temperature for sure maybe humidity must play a big part. St.Louis (500') difference is .04 range today but its humid and snowing at 21 degrees. Birmingham at (643' in the 40's is almost dead on. And Galveston of course is exact with MSLP and altimeter.  MSLP is crap if you ask me... :lol:
I know how the altimeter is derived, it's the relationship to the others that tend to give me that blank stare......

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2015, 02:08:43 PM »
Easy one for me. My ISS sits in a pain in the a$$ location to get to (unfortunate necessity) to see if my fan is still running. Case in point, yesterday I went out into the desert to check it and sure enough, not running

On one of my failed fans,  having recently bought a lifetime supply of motors for about $2 each, I replaced the motor and also added a hall effect sensor and magnet.   I will attach this to a microcontroller and send RPMs wirelessly.
[/quote/ After finding out what a "hall effect sensor" does, would you please describe how the microcontroller and wireless setup would work? I am clueless but very interested.

anything