Author Topic: WMR968 Complete Station for sale  (Read 18495 times)

Offline Charlie53544

• Weather Fanatic
WMR968 Complete Station for sale
« on: January 12, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
I ordered a WMR968 on December 27 2008 and decided I really wanted the Vantage pro2 more, so now I have a 3 week old WMR968 that I wont use.  I am selling it for $160 and $20 shipping.

Charlie
Hudsonville, MI
DW2002
Vantage Pro2

Offline Charlie53544

• Weather Fanatic
Re: WMR968 Complete Station for sale
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 09:08:36 AM »
OK, I think I need to lower the price...$140 shipping included.

Charlie
Hudsonville, MI
DW2002
Vantage Pro2

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 10:29:31 AM »
Consider putting it on ebay.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 11:48:09 PM »
Below are other threads on the For Sale/Wanted board from people looking for WMR968 stations.

This poster hasn't been online since January 6 but hasn't posted a "SOLD" notification either.
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=2840.0 (also looking for VWS)

And this guy is said to have a really long nose, but he does have almost 500 posts.
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=2767.0

If you don't find any takers, I'll take it off your hands for the $140 price you quoted.  My dad would probably be interested.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 07:52:32 AM »
Did you decide to get the vp2 before or after setup of the 968. aka is it still in the box, or did you have it up and running?

That's a good price even just to have the spare parts... Better when the C$ was par or better.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Charlie53544

• Weather Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 09:24:54 AM »
Did you decide to get the vp2 before or after setup of the 968. aka is it still in the box, or did you have it up and running?

That's a good price even just to have the spare parts... Better when the C$ was par or better.

Andrew

I did set up the WMR968 for a while, but I have everything...including the box.

Charlie
Hudsonville, MI
DW2002
Vantage Pro2

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 09:33:30 AM »
Charlie, I would have took it, but after I posted my search for stuff, my company cut my hours from 45 per week to 25.  Just enough to keep me there but keep me from being able to apply for UN-employment benefits.  So I having to tighten up on things now.  Sorry, you got a great deal there, for sure.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 10:56:43 AM »
Charlie, I would have took it, but after I posted my search for stuff, my company cut my hours from 45 per week to 25.  Just enough to keep me there but keep me from being able to apply for UN-employment benefits.  So I having to tighten up on things now.  Sorry, you got a great deal there, for sure.

Yeah,
It's amazing they know just how low to drop things so that you can't become
eligible for any assistance...but starve you in the process!

Everything I do has suffered in one way or another due to these economic conditions.
I hope somebody in "control" has a plan :)

Hope you get your hours back soon!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline donaldl43

• My Wunderground Page
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 08:59:53 PM »
Do you still have this available?  I think I'm interested if so.  I've currently got a LaCrosse 2317 that has a flaky rain gauge.  I've thought previously about upgrading and this might just be the ticket.

Don
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:03:54 PM by donaldl43 »

Offline Charlie53544

• Weather Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 06:39:21 AM »
Do you still have this available?  I think I'm interested if so.  I've currently got a LaCrosse 2317 that has a flaky rain gauge.  I've thought previously about upgrading and this might just be the ticket.

Don

Hey Don,

I do still have the weather station available.

Charlie
Hudsonville, MI
DW2002
Vantage Pro2

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 08:44:38 AM »
I just can't believe you haven't sold it. Thats a great deal. I'd but it if I didn't already have another complete station plus some spare parts from another station.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 08:50:29 AM »
I'm with you Anthony.  That's a good station for a good price.  I use the 968 and I have a LaCrosse 2315 as a spare.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 11:03:05 AM »
I had a 968 but the transmitters started breaking off at their mounts. I considered gutting all of them and putting them in a unified enclosure with just one large solar panel to run them and mount them with the rain bucket. This would eliminate all the tangle of wires. However, when I started thinking about it, this was more like a VPro2 so I went and bought one. I loved the touch screen.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 11:17:57 AM »
I had a 968 but the transmitters started breaking off at their mounts. I considered gutting all of them and putting them in a unified enclosure with just one large solar panel to run them and mount them with the rain bucket. This would eliminate all the tangle of wires. However, when I started thinking about it, this was more like a VPro2 so I went and bought one. I loved the touch screen.

That seems like an odd problem.  Do you have any idea what may have caused the breakage?  How old was the unit when it started happening?  Is there anything I should look out for?
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 12:12:13 PM »

That seems like an odd problem.  Do you have any idea what may have caused the breakage?  How old was the unit when it started happening?  Is there anything I should look out for?

2 of my 3 are cracked at the swivel ball interface.  I have came up with an alternate mounting plan in my head, if they break off.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 12:52:34 PM »

[/quote]

My unit was about 2+ years old and they were showing discoloration from being outside. I know when I moved one transmitter to re-orient it some it came off nice and easy. The break was at the ball swivel and I noticed a metal pin running up through the plastic stem to the transmitter. Another one fell off after a storm, nothing hit it, and it broke at the back of the transmitter. Even though the price was good I wasn't happy with each transmitter and the length of cable...just looked messy. After the transmitters broke off and I duct taped them to the pole I was going to build a weather-tight enclosure and put the electronics for all transmitters inside, put a larger solar panel on the front to power them and mount them next to the rain bucket. In my head it was looking more like an ISS so I decided to buy one.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 01:06:28 PM »
You know, the first thing I thought of when I read your previous post was duct tape.  LOL  Great minds think alike, huh?

I know what you mean about the wires and stuff.  But for about six months, I was moving my sensors around about once per week trying to find the optium location for them.  I never did find it, but I think I've got them set up about as good as I can get them here.  What I do like about it is the flexibility to put the different sensors in different places.  I have my wind sensor on top of a thirty foot mast and my temp/rh sensor on the mast down at about six feet.  I have my rain sensor in the back yard in an open area.  But I have holes all in my yard from previous attempts!  I am a real PHD  (post hole digger).

I also have a LaCrosse 2315, and all the sensors are wired together and there's no solar power.  It works as a backup, but I much prefer the 968.

I was going to get a Davis for Christmas, but decided against it  when I found out you have to spend another $100 for the link or logger or whatever.  To me, it seems they ought to provide that when you buy the unit.

Sorry about rambling, I just have lots of time today.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline donaldl43

• My Wunderground Page
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 01:42:03 PM »
I'm currently sending my info to Wunderground using WUHU.  I do have a siting issue with my temp sensor.  I know I need to put it in a Stevenson but I've been lazy.  If I end up getting this I think it will be time to do that.  I've sent Charlie a PM to see about getting this.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 02:13:54 PM »
I'm currently sending my info to Wunderground using WUHU.  I do have a siting issue with my temp sensor.  I know I need to put it in a Stevenson but I've been lazy.  If I end up getting this I think it will be time to do that.  I've sent Charlie a PM to see about getting this.

When you get it, if you have any questions, there are plenty of us around here that have one.  And we always have plenty of opnions laying around! \:D/
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 02:19:54 PM »
Slowmodem, I have had one to break. And it was my own stupidity that broke it. And to beat it all. OS replaced it at no charge.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 02:32:26 PM »
Slowmodem, I have had one to break. And it was my own stupidity that broke it. And to beat it all. OS replaced it at no charge.

That's a bad news, good news thing!
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline donaldl43

• My Wunderground Page
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 02:38:03 PM »

When you get it, if you have any questions, there are plenty of us around here that have one.  And we always have plenty of opnions laying around! \:D/
I am curious about people's opinions on the best way to do it.  I've seen a couple of homemade Stevensons.

My back yard is fairly small but I can put a post where it won't be in the shade.  I have questions about the height and distance from my back porch, block walls, and trees.  I think my back yard is about 20 ft deep.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
I am curious about people's opinions on the best way to do it.  I've seen a couple of homemade Stevensons.

My back yard is fairly small but I can put a post where it won't be in the shade.  I have questions about the height and distance from my back porch, block walls, and trees.  I think my back yard is about 20 ft deep.

I got a shield from ambientweather last fall.  I think it was $30 or something like that.  It does ok.  I like the idea of a solar-powered fan sheild, but they're kind of pricey for me.  I've read of people using old computer fans and solar cells to build their own.

The resource that you need is here:  http://home.comcast.net/~dshelms/CWOP_Guide.pdf

It  tells you everything you wanted to know about sensor placement, and then some.

Be very careful with the temp/rh sensor.  They're sensative.

Good luck!

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline donaldl43

• My Wunderground Page
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 11:11:50 PM »
I'm thinking about buying this shield from ambientweather but don't know for sure if it will fit.  Can somebody weigh in?

It's the SRS100 and here's a picture.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-37697109791737_2041_750510762

P.S.  I did buy this from Charlie

Don

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 11:22:25 PM »
I'm thinking about buying this shield from ambientweather but don't know for sure if it will fit.  Can somebody weigh in?

It's the SRS100 and here's a picture.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-37697109791737_2041_750510762

P.S.  I did buy this from Charlie

Don

Here's mine:

It does ok.  Just be careful handling the temp/RH sensor.  They're kind of fragile and I've been told they're sensative to sunlight.  The shield is a good idea.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA