Author Topic: Use of Serial to USB converter/adapter cable impact on VWS  (Read 5892 times)

Offline katinka

• http://home.centurytel.net/presque-isle-weather/
Use of Serial to USB converter/adapter cable impact on VWS
« on: January 01, 2011, 08:27:57 AM »
I had an XP computer running my 5 year old Vantage Pro2 weather station using both WeatherLink and VWS, which used a serial port for my data logger into my computer.  I moved everything to a new Windows 7 computer, but it doesn't have a serial port, nor can I add one.  So I bought a serial to usb converter/adapter cable which connects the phone jack of the cable from the the serial data logger into this converter, which has a usb 'end' that plugs into the computer using a USB port.  It was painful to get WL to work, and then VWS to work.  I now have them all 'talking' to each other, I think.  But I am wary if I have it working as it should.

For one, do I use the WL serial software/option, or the USB?  And then in VWS, do I specify that I am using a serial port or a USB port?  DOES IT MATTER????  I did learn that both VWS and WL want/need to have them specify the same (both serial, or both USB).

When I look thru postings, the serial folks say it is best to use port 1 or 2 (I was using 3 on the XP computer).  But now the Windows 7/USB computer does not have a port 1, 2, or 3 available.  I am currently using port 4.  DOES IT MATTER?

It took me 2 days of trying different combinations of software/hardware options.  For now, it has the illusion of working.  DO I HAVE ANYTHING ELSE THAT I SHOULD TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION OR THAT I SHOULD "DO"???

I use WL 5.9.2 and VWS 14.01

Offline Merc41

• Leesville Reservoir and surrounding area.
Re: Use of Serial to USB converter/adapter cable impact on VWS
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 09:55:50 AM »
Hi Katinka

I am not an expert on this subject, I want to say that up front. However, I would say if the system is working as it should I would leave it alone as it is.

I had a situation about the same as you when I converted from Weather Link and Virtual Weather Station to Weather Display. My problem was I updated the firmware on the data logger, and had to revert it back to its' original firmware. Then all worked good.

So I would say if it is working correctly, leave well enough along.

Mark