Weather Station Hardware > Davis Instruments Weather Stations

UV and Solar sensors on Wireless Sensor Transmitter

(1/15) > >>

seaman55:
I've done lots of searching and reading through this site, I hope I have not missed a post that already covers this. I apologize in advance if this is a repeat.

I'd like to get my UV and Solar sensors running from my roof mounted wind solar powered wireless sensor transmitter, instead of my ground mounted VP2 ISS, without it reporting out all of the unused sensors of the wireless sensor transmitter, or my unused wind sensor on the IIS.

My setup;
ID1 ISS daytime fan aspirated wireless VP2 sitting on grass at ~5' in the back yard (north side of the house, sun is from the south)
ID2 solar powered wireless sensor transmitter for the anemometer sitting at ~13' above the peak of the roof
standard WeatherBridge via USB weatherlink for reporting out WUnderground, PWSweather, Ambientweather, and CWOP.

I've tried setting up an Envoy8x to pull more than just wind sensor data from the rooftop transmitter (ID2), but the result was wind data being reported as 0 to the weather sites, since I had it looking at both the rooftop and ground setups as ISS's in order to see the extra sensors of the rooftop transmitter.

Will the WeatherBridgePro allow me to pick and choose which sensors from which transmitters to use for reporting out to the weather sites?
If not, is there another recommended solution?
I'd rather not run cables back to my ISS for my solar/UV sensors, when I have a perfectly good wireless transmitter on the roof already.

Mattk:
There can only be one ISS and that is where your UV & Solar has to connect. You could indeed connect UV & Solar to the current roof top anemometer transmitter but then that would have to then be your ISS so you would miss rainfall and temp/humidity etc unless also connected the roof top transmitter.   

seaman55:
So I guess the only real way to do it is to use something like an Envoy8x or WeatherBridge + Meteostick (since the WeatherBridge Pro doesn't appear to be available in the US), and call both ISS's, and then use some kind of software manipulate the data that is sent to each of the sites so that they see it as coming from 1 ISS sensor set, or run extension cables from my roof to my ISS on the ground? Or am I missing something entirely, and there is a way to get the solar and UV sensor data from the wind wireless transmitter in through the Envoy8x, or Weatherbridge without calling it an ISS?

johnd:
Mark Crossley has a solution to this though it does involve running an extra device - hopefully Mark will see this and explain a little more.

Otherwise, using extension cables is undoubtedly the simplest option. But beyond this I think you need to be clear about what you're trying to do, which could be one of two things:

1. Collect solar & UV data for your own purposes (and maybe upload this data to weatherlink.com);

2. Also upload the data to other online networks like WU or CWOP

[1] can be achieved now by the 8X or a Pro Red, or you can wait for the new Davis Weatherlink Live unit, which should be along in 2-3 months' time.

It's [2] that presents the major problem and it's this that potentially needs extra code writing.The 8X can't do this (at least not out of the box). And I'm not aware that the Pro Red can do this either by default (ie without needing extra code) BICBW.

mcrossley:
John is referring to my "relay device". This is a Moteino board (an Arduino and a Hope RFM transceiver on the same board - I used the USB version for convenience).

For the software I use a lightly modified version of the VPTools library which is maintained by kobuki on this forum.

Basically, you configure the relay to listen to your Davis transmitters, and tell it which sensor is on which transmitter. The relay then forwards all the sensor data via another transmitter ID as if it was coming from a single ISS. You then configure your VP2 console to listen to this new 'psuedo' ISS and drop the actual transmitters.

So my setup is...
Id #1 = Wind + (Solar + UV)  - up on my roof
Id #2 = ISS (Temp, Hum, Rain) - in the garden
Id #3 = Relay (Wind, Solar, UV, Temp, Hum, Rain)

Really I should swap 2 & 3 around one day to get the highest wind data refresh rate possible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version