Weather Software > What Weather Software should I use/buy?

What's the best software in 2018?

(1/3) > >>

alex114:
After an 8 year gap, I've invested in a weather station again. A VP2 plus to be exact. I have weatherlink and installed a trial version of weather display.
Many moons ago I used weather display, but it has changed a bit since then, and I'm not sure for the better..
It still has features I always enjoyed, such as the current weather icon and how to tinker with it's settings, the FWI, solid internet features for website uploads etc.
But it can be a pain in the butt when entering historic data, for records, averages etc. Or importing old data from weatherlink. Rain databases often have a mind of their own.

Anyway, I've never really dabbled with any other software.
Can anyone recommend trialing another software, with similar traits, but less dated?
thanks in advance for suggestions.

ConligWX:
I've used Weewx and CumulusMX in the past, both are great , however I just moved to a Meteobridge Nano SD, which I just love because of it simplicity and size. just pop it into your Davis Console and hook it up via wifi and thats it! tons of features without the overhead of setting up software, ftp server etc. its all built in.

Boris is developing new features and and squashing any bugs found on a daily basis.

check it out here: https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Meteobridge_NANO

of course there is a overhead of price compaired too say a rasbpi and your own software but less hassle in setting up.

https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/

http://www.weewx.com/

alex114:
thanks for your reply.

A quick glance at meteobridge is intruiging, I may invest after further investigation. I presume the probe/card would replace the weatherlink data logger? And act as a memory at times of wifi loss?
If the process is stable with less or no chance of data loss, it'll do the job for me.

Mattk:

--- Quote from: alex114 on December 06, 2018, 04:15:11 PM ---thanks for your reply.

A quick glance at meteobridge is intruiging, I may invest after further investigation. I presume the probe/card would replace the weatherlink data logger? And act as a memory at times of wifi loss?
If the process is stable with less or no chance of data loss, it'll do the job for me.

--- End quote ---

Most data loss is due to power management regardless of the device. In the case of a nanoSD as long as you maintain power to system and sensors then any WiFi or Ethernet outage will not affect station data. The card doesn't actually replace the weatherlink data logger (as such) but does provide an whole range of options that WLIP does not.   

weather34:

--- Quote from: alex114 on December 06, 2018, 04:15:11 PM ---thanks for your reply.

--- End quote ---

used with a nano/sd
no concerns about power failure option , living here in istanbul power outages are weekly however having a small computer 1000va UPS in line prevents loss of data and continues to power weather station and record as normal for upto 48 hours aprox tested upto 46 hours and also leaving the batteries in the console prevents loss of data and recording of data.. meteobridge nanosd is a win win situation for the davis console range and throw in the 20 years of data storage capabilities using nanosd is more than enough .once fitted , installed just  does what it is supposed too..throw in all the features of the meteobridge software and its continuous development you have the perfect non computer powered solution .. bias i may be but the meteobridge range of products has made my weather station hardware a pleasant experience over the last two years i can go away for weeks or days knowing it will just do its thing without any intervention needed.. trusting a product is a big thing especially unattended scenarios.. brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version