Weather Software > Meteohub/Meteobridge

Keep Meteobridge going during power outage

(1/3) > >>

lightmaster:
I've got a potential CAT 3 hurricane bearing down on me, which has gotten me thinking about ways to keep my station powered if/when my power/internet goes out. I've currently got a UPS that keeps my router, modem, small network switch, and Meteobridge powered during brief outages, but it only lasts for around 2.5-3 hours. How can I keep network and Meteobridge alive for a longer outage? Futhermore, should internet g out during the storm too, is it possible to hook up a phone to the Meteobridge to get internet temporarily?

Meteobridge runs off 5V USB power, so maybe a 26,000 mAh battery pack would last longer than the 3 hours of my UPS? What about a way to connect an Ethernet cable to an adapter or something so it can plug into my USB-C phone? I know I can use my phone's hotspot as a worst case scenario, but I'd like to avoid that since it's a good bit of wasted power then.

Can a Meteobridge be set up to connect to internet over ethernet, and fallback to a WiFi connection should ethernet not be available?

Mattk:
The primary factor in this type of situation is maintaining the data, nothing else matters really and be prepared to progressively shut down components that don't serve any purpose in maintaining the data.

With hurricane type conditions then no power, no internet, no comms has to be expected as with today's digital networks the power required to keep alive for any length of time is simply not available outside the more primary network centres with specific backup capacity so it may depend on just where you live in relation to the main network centres.

You don't say what station you have and how this is powered and sounds like you may have a MB as opposed to a MBPro which has more data capture/storage options.

Separate battery power would be my preference and how long you want it to run will be dependent on how much battery capacity you feel you really need, the more the better but at some point depending on the severity of the storm no amount of power will keep you alive for ever without some secondary charging capacity, generator, solar etc

I think you need to forget the internet type stuff as you have no control over that and concentrate on maintaining data recording and local storage with a minimal of hardware to do that.     

lightmaster:
I have a Davis Vantage Pro2 and a Meteobridge that sends the data to various sites and an off-site mysql database. The console is connected to the non-battery side of the UPS since it has its own batteries. I've got the minimum amount of equipment connected to the battery side of the UPS to let it stay alive as long as possible, which is still a dismal 3 hours max.

My understanding is that when the Meteobridge loses internet connection, there's no storage of any data that it receives while the internet is out, and it's not able to pull the stored data from the consoles USB logger. Considering that, how can one save the data without internet?

Mattk:
Without internet, standard MB and no where to push the data internally or externally then you would shut it down and save a little bit of power, no point running it for no real purpose if it was to mean wasting power and causing the entire system to power down sooner then later. Put all your power resources into maintaining the console, USB logger and data there-in.

If you have your logger running and depending on data archive then you could maintain a data record for quite some time as long as you have a means to download the logger when you get power back etc 

lightmaster:
I've got the logger set to 10 min intervals, so roughly 17 days IIRC, can't see it taking more than 2.5 weeks to restore power, assuming we lose it at all.

About getting the archived data from the logger/console, is there anyway to get MB to pull that saved data, or is WL2 the only way? I don't normally upload to WL2 since it requires a computer running 24/7. MB uploads to CWOP, WU, etc so unless MB is able to pull that archived data, then there's little I can do with that data.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version