Weather Station Hardware > Rainwise Weather Stations

Rainwise 111 easy calibrate without calibrator

(1/3) > >>

ValentineWeather:
More are switching over who own Davis Stations as stand alone so I tested this method and it works. Dead on today after double checking with calibrator (119 tips was goal) on 2 different Rainwise gauges and both came in at 119.   No fancy Novalynx calibrator needed. One gauge got accidentally moved the other I just ran through steps to double check tweaking slightly.

Once gauge is mounted and leveled, I like using the level across like image shows it's the most ridged area and very near the tipping buckets.  Leveling the top of gauge has mixed results at best it's the base we need level primarily with direction buckets tip.

I use a medicine syringe and 8 ml of water per tip and calibrate each bucket turning screws. When filling syringe start at 9 or 10ml instead exactly 8ml so you don't push air out prematurely at end and tip bucket.

This is a quick and simple field calibration at around 4"-4.4" per hour rate.
Have fun...

CW2274:

--- Quote from: ValentineWeather on July 13, 2018, 08:29:42 PM ---I use a medicine dropper and 8 ml of water per tip and calibrate each bucket turning screws.

--- End quote ---
This is what I did before using my milk jug so as to get each spoon as equal volume as possible. Then I turned both screw exactly the same amount up or down in degrees to fine tune.

ValentineWeather:
Works really well. I just used the calibrator to double check and confident enough to say go with 8ml per tip for good calibration.

JudinNorman:
The rainwise gauge needs adjustment as well out of box like the Davis tipper?

ValentineWeather:

--- Quote from: JudinNorman on July 14, 2018, 11:12:31 AM ---The rainwise gauge needs adjustment as well out of box like the Davis tipper?

--- End quote ---

It's been so long since I tried a stock gauge but yes Rainwise gauges were closer out of box but not good enough.
I had the calibrator shortly after I purchased my first Rainwise.  The 8ml per tip is what happened to be what calibrator said to use after doing several full calibrations.

There may be some in areas like Florida, Mississippi where heavy downpours are common, 7.9ml may work better but for midwest plains 8ml works well. My Davis console says when doing full calibration (takes 20 min) rain rate is 4.1 to 4.6 inches per hour at 8ml.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version