Author Topic: So...WeatherUnderground is discontinuing webcams Dec 15 - options?  (Read 20336 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: So...WeatherUnderground is discontinuing webcams Dec 15 - options?
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2017, 09:19:49 AM »
Will WU end? There is hope....

Remember that many users are users of WU because their PWS manufacturer simply has WU built in, in some cases even as the only option to publish data. Once WU becomes even less attractive, buggy etc. these will stop supporting it and that will be the beginning of the end. I hope it will be soon.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2017, 09:46:50 AM »
My two wishes regarding PWS business:
- end of WU -> this would save time and problems to many people
- decent competition for Davis -> this would force both companies to invest in R&D and innovate things, how many yrs/decades have they been promising VP3? The console looks like from the 80s

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2017, 10:48:59 AM »
WU didn't start out with webcams. From memory that was something that came much later. Possibly after 2012 Weather Channel purchase, It was the beginning of the end and everyone knew it.   

Originally WU was great being ran by a bunch of weather fanatics very techy cutting edge with cool features dealing with real time data. Still today ahead of most others with slow data uploads every few minutes.

In 2016 Weather Company AKA Weather Channel was
purchased by IBM except for TV broadcast portion 'The Weather Channel'.

Doesn't appear IBM has taken much interest in WU side with personal weather stations and has allowed Weather Company to continue its downward spiral. The end is most likely closer than many realize.  I doubt it stops with just webcam removal, eventually it will include all PWS data.

Randy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2017, 11:13:59 AM »
From what we can see now, it is quite obvious that when the time comes and they say they will delete all your PWS data, they will not give you any means of being able to download it.

I would therefore highly recommend you download all your data and save them locally using their XML feed (before they discontinue it or delete it)

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2017, 11:23:27 AM »
Some of the other weather station manufacturers should jump on this opportunity.  Both Davis and Rainwise already offer 'Nets' to upload your data.  Adding a area for webcams would be a nice addition.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2017, 01:47:08 PM »
having cheap weather stations able to update data straight to wunderground has meant lots of ill paced temperature readings on wunderground, that is for sure

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2017, 02:23:15 PM »
From what we can see now, it is quite obvious that when the time comes and they say they will delete all your PWS data, they will not give you any means of being able to download it.

I would therefore highly recommend you download all your data and save them locally using their XML feed (before they discontinue it or delete it)

Jachym, great idea however how much data does WU store? Is it everything we've ever uploaded to them or just the recent past few months or so? Also, is there a direct link for us to look at our historical data on WU?
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2017, 02:30:47 PM »
Looks like WU wants you to drop your webcam and buy a air quality monitor:

https://www.wunderground.com/sensors/purpleair#more

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2017, 02:32:33 PM »
I agree. And, I think WU is a victim of their own success. Anytime you allow people and devices to push data or images to your servers outside of your control you are asking for trouble. I can't imagine what their incoming bandwidth need is like.

Oh, and Brian, I would make that "poorly designed cheap weather stations".  :)

having cheap weather stations able to update data straight to wunderground has meant lots of ill paced temperature readings on wunderground, that is for sure

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2017, 04:40:34 PM »

Jachym, great idea however how much data does WU store? Is it everything we've ever uploaded to them or just the recent past few months or so? Also, is there a direct link for us to look at our historical data on WU?

Yes, all data should be there in 5min intervals

https://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=XXXXXXXX&format=XML

Replace XXXXXXX with your WU ID

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2017, 06:24:56 PM »
Something else to keep in mind.  In addition to their ad revenue, they make money on your and everyone else's data that it sent to them by selling to whoever they want to, for a profit, and we PWS owners have no say about it, nor are compensated for it, despite our substantial investment. If all 200,000+ PWS Owners pulled their stations and subsequent data, it would get their attention, I would assure you.

John
We are compensated for it John. My self I don't have a website but I get to view my data online and via an app.
I understand everyone's frustration with WU but it's only WU in name. It's all coming from the parent company.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2017, 07:40:55 PM »
Something else to keep in mind.  In addition to their ad revenue, they make money on your and everyone else's data that it sent to them by selling to whoever they want to, for a profit, and we PWS owners have no say about it, nor are compensated for it, despite our substantial investment. If all 200,000+ PWS Owners pulled their stations and subsequent data, it would get their attention, I would assure you.

John
We are compensated for it John. My self I don't have a website but I get to view my data online and via an app.
I understand everyone's frustration with WU but it's only WU in name. It's all coming from the parent company.
SOME are still "compensated". And I respect folks who are. However, those who invested in Blogs, Photos, Cameras, Radio Feeds, e.g. . have been ripped off, fingered, raped, and basically told to 'shove it'.  Sadly, I suspect those still "compensated" will be in a similar category sometime soon..
but the PWS pages will be next... it's cheaper for them to scrape Mesowest, etc ...  Just a matter of time...

Now, some folks didn't really believe some of us when we were strongly suggesting that Radio and Webcams were going to be dropped,
and I truly hope I'm wrong, but with all respect, folks need to look for something else ... It may be awhile, but they're going to utilize as
little overhead as possible, and that 'convenience' is massive overhead.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2017, 08:04:28 PM »
I don't think they'll get rid PWS data. At least I hope not. They will probably get rid of rapid fire and limit uploads to every 15 minutes and most likely will do away with archived PWS data.
If they did get rid of PWS data they would become completely irrelevant. However as the saying goes when one door closes another one opens so I'm sure there would be new options available.

Offline accuweather

• AccuWeather
  • Jesse Ferrell, AccuWeather Social Media Manager
    • WeatherMatrix
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2017, 08:31:30 PM »
Hey guys, I did a blog about this with links to alternate ways of getting your webcam online.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/weathermatrix/weather-underground-kills-webcam-upload-service-there-are-alternatives/70003305? 

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2017, 08:59:34 PM »
Good blog Jesse. Hope it helps those looking for answers.
Randy

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2017, 09:10:50 PM »
Thankfully I’ve been doing as many here have suggested, and that is to get away from WU as soon as possible. It was a great resource for me starting out but with the help of this forum and many here I’ve learned a lot about how to do things on my own site. There’s a few more things left to change on my site, but the transition away from WU is nearly complete. It’s sad to see them have to drop services such as this though.

I agree, great info Jesse! Thanks for the heads up as I know these webcam site alternatives will be useful to many.

- Matt
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2017, 04:23:26 PM »
Regarding webcam data on WU. Do they currently store a history of that?
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2017, 07:42:34 PM »
I more upset at the fact that many times a day they say the radar is "down for maintenance"

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline jpk1018

• Senior Contributor
  • http://www.madrussianweather.com/#
    • Mad Russian
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2017, 07:46:19 PM »
Boy if this isn't pouring salt on the wound, my web cam just showed up on WU. It's getting kinda comical with whats going on at WU.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2017, 08:11:14 PM »
Looks like the killed the Sunrise/sunset/moon info too.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2017, 09:30:44 AM »
T-25 Earth days to webcam day
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 08:06:44 AM by antstrafer »
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline Stratocaster

• WU Station ID INEWPROV18
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2017, 01:33:25 PM »
I signed up with webcam.io in Germany. Dead easy to set up the FTP on my Ambient IP cam, much easier than it was on WU. I'm back online and the free service is pretty good. The costs escalate for more storage, live feed etc, but not outrageous.

Here is my cam:
https://assets1.webcam.io/w/0zgAw9/latest.jpg
Mike
WU Station ID INEWPROV18
Nassau, Bahamas

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
    • http://www.desotowiwx.com
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2017, 02:46:36 PM »
I signed up with webcam.io in Germany. Dead easy to set up the FTP on my Ambient IP cam, much easier than it was on WU. I'm back online and the free service is pretty good. The costs escalate for more storage, live feed etc, but not outrageous.

Here is my cam:
https://assets1.webcam.io/w/0zgAw9/latest.jpg

I did also but my webcam has been waiting for approval for about 3 weeks now. I am going to wait a bit longer and if they don't approve it I will close the account.

Anthony

Offline Stratocaster

• WU Station ID INEWPROV18
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2017, 03:05:00 PM »
Good to know!
Mike
WU Station ID INEWPROV18
Nassau, Bahamas

anything