Author Topic: N23DQ/WS-1001  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
N23DQ/WS-1001
« on: August 09, 2017, 05:50:06 PM »
Hi everyone :-)  New poster.  I have just bought a Maplins N23DQ which looks to be identical to the WS-1001.  I now have it bolted up on the chimney stack and it all seems to be working pretty well.

I do have a couple of questions.  I am having trouble deleting some incorrect history data.  The manual is a bit obscure in places but basically I can highlight the data boxes I want to delete in history and I do get the correct pop up 'delete?' yes/no box.  I select 'yes' but when I press + or - (to ok the delete) the box disappears but the data remains the same.  I'm new to this stuff so I take it I'm making a silly mistake.. #-o  But what could I be doing wrong?

Also, I notice the screen still has a USB connection even though everything is wireless. 8-)  I suppose there is no chance if I plug it into my laptop via this I can get proper access to everything avoiding all the clunky buttons and menus? 

Offline timwebb2

Re: N23DQ/WS-1001
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 01:35:16 PM »
Hi,
I am new to this as my weather station has only been up and running a few days.
What I do is have 2 consoles with one on line to weather underground and on wifi, with the other on wifi only (used to experimenting and testing things like PC access).
So I have just connected my spare or test console to my windows 7 PC and it downloaded windows mobile device centre.
As I have a micro sd fitted it appears to read this and gives me access to the files (XML files) these can be amended.
Anyway I am sure there are more experienced and cleverer people than me who can advise you in more detail. So I imagine you should be able to access and amend data without clunky button access.
Hope this helps.
regards, Tim

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »
@ timwebb2, I don't really understand what you are trying to do. The Micro SD card main purpose is to backup your historical data and to load new firmware to your console.

I suppose there is no chance if I plug it into my laptop via this I can get proper access to everything avoiding all the clunky buttons and menus?
The USB interface gives you access to the internal file structure of the console and should not be messed with. There is no GUI or web interface.
The only button I use is to scroll through the rain display to check current rain and rain rate as my console is right at my back door. Much quicker than to connect to WU and look at the data there.

@Transporterman,
I select 'yes' but when I press + or - (to ok the delete) the box disappears but the data remains the same.
I did the same thing when I just joined WU, with the same results. Maybe it just flag at WU that you deleted. Now I just ignore it.  :-)
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 02:33:37 PM »
Thanks.  I certainly won't mess with the files!

I'm not that worried about not being able to delete the rain history, it's just that from brand new it has been showing rain when there hasn't been a drop so I thought I would clear it and start afresh. 

Woah!  Just got my station up just now!  :grin:  https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=INEWQUAY10

Thanks again.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 03:13:33 PM »
Good deal  =D> and welcome to this forum.
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline rods55555

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 05:30:48 PM »
Hi everyone :-)  New poster.  I have just bought a Maplins N23DQ which looks to be identical to the WS-1001.  I now have it bolted up on the chimney stack and it all seems to be working pretty well.

I do have a couple of questions.  I am having trouble deleting some incorrect history data.  The manual is a bit obscure in places but basically I can highlight the data boxes I want to delete in history and I do get the correct pop up 'delete?' yes/no box.  I select 'yes' but when I press + or - (to ok the delete) the box disappears but the data remains the same.  I'm new to this stuff so I take it I'm making a silly mistake.. #-o  But what could I be doing wrong?

Also, I notice the screen still has a USB connection even though everything is wireless. 8-)  I suppose there is no chance if I plug it into my laptop via this I can get proper access to everything avoiding all the clunky buttons and menus?

If this is the screen you are talking about, this is not the data stored in the unit, it's just a min/max information, you can manually delete the information or you can choose to be delete automatically every day, but it doesn't affect the data stored in memory.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

To delete the "incorrect" information stored in memory you have to go to the calibration screen to write zeros (rainfall for instance) on the values that are recorded before the outdoor unit is correctly installed outside. Also on the calibration screen is where you have to put the correct value for the relative barometric pressure.This procedure should be done before connecting the station to Weather Underground to avoid "garbage" data to be sent. Or you can do the same thing by going to the screen shown above and delete the entire history stored.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 06:02:38 PM by rods55555 »

Offline rods55555

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 05:52:00 PM »

You can use a software called EasyWeather, your pc and your pws need to be on the same LAN, no need for usb cable.

Just choose your pc LAN ip

And your pws MAC address

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 06:29:26 PM »
Thanks for that.  It really explains a lot.  That was the screen I was on about.  #-o   I'm mostly interested in what the wind gets up to around here as it is so exposed to the Westerlies in Winter.  I just hope the PWS stays up there!  I will definitely download EasyWeather.  8-)

One other quick question.  What should the weather icon (the one you can get by scrolling the graph button) be doing?  It mostly shows full sun even when it gets dark and the lux and rad readings are zero.  If I switch off and on again it will usually change to sun and cloud.  I have seen the five or so choices it has but it seems a bit confused atm.  :lol:   

Offline rods55555

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 06:43:37 PM »
Thanks for that.  It really explains a lot.  That was the screen I was on about.  #-o   I'm mostly interested in what the wind gets up to around here as it is so exposed to the Westerlies in Winter.  I just hope the PWS stays up there!  I will definitely download EasyWeather.  8-)

One other quick question.  What should the weather icon (the one you can get by scrolling the graph button) be doing?  It mostly shows full sun even when it gets dark and the lux and rad readings are zero.  If I switch off and on again it will usually change to sun and cloud.  I have seen the five or so choices it has but it seems a bit confused atm.  :lol:   

That icon seems to be related to the barometer and humidity readings, it's kind of a "gimmick" to show the current weather condition. Mine shows that it is raining when the barometer is showing lower values and the humidity is a bit high.
To be honest, it's kind of a useless feature.

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 06:53:45 PM »
Ah well, I prefer the look of the graphs anyway..

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 07:31:37 PM »
My apologies, I thought you were trying to clear bad data on WU. :oops:
rods55555 steered  you in the right direction.
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 05:28:27 PM »
No need to apologise to me :-)   I can only learn since I know so little!  I am wondering about what the history on WG means because the data for today shows:

High Low Average
Wind Speed 27 mph -- 11 mph
Wind Gust 37 mph -- --
Wind Direction -- -- SW
Pressure 30.29 in 30.06 in

But the graph option only shows several max gusts of 30 MPH which matches what the station's own screen was showing.

Offline rods55555

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 05:56:05 PM »
No need to apologise to me :-)   I can only learn since I know so little!  I am wondering about what the history on WG means because the data for today shows:

High Low Average
Wind Speed 27 mph -- 11 mph
Wind Gust 37 mph -- --
Wind Direction -- -- SW
Pressure 30.29 in 30.06 in

But the graph option only shows several max gusts of 30 MPH which matches what the station's own screen was showing.

Mine does that too. I think the reason is the update time interval. Mine is setup to record the data every five minutes. And that is the interval that is updated/recorded on WU.
You can choose to record data every minute if you want.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 06:10:25 PM by rods55555 »

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 06:56:32 PM »
Transporterman, these two threads explain it much better than I can.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=29280.0

this one explains how the wind speed is done. see reply #5

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=28713.0
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 04:39:10 AM »
Thanks for the links.  =D>  I think I'm starting to understand...  Could take a month or two more but it is making sense!

I like the idea of sticking the unit out of a car window. :mrgreen:  I actually did do that once in my old windsurfing days.  It was with the old style tube and disc wind meter.

It was surprisingly accurate. 

anything