Author Topic: TP-Link freeze up  (Read 3157 times)

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
TP-Link freeze up
« on: June 20, 2017, 10:52:15 AM »
While on a 4 day trip (of course, when else?) my little TP-Link router froze.  Why would it do that?
On the 4th day of my trip, I finally noticed that data was not uplinking to the internet!  Gasp.
When I got home, I saw that the Internet and data lights on the little box were not flashing.  I unplugged it from power and then plugged it back in.  No change.  Then I held my finger on the "reset" button.  Well, that worked, the data stream was recovered. 
But apparently, when I did that, it assigned itself a different IP address, because Virtual Weather Station could no longer find the box.  That required a trip into my home router's DHCP client list.
If I spent more time reading stuff that the computer IT people on this forum put out, I could probably move into a new industry after retirement :lol:

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: TP-Link freeze up
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 11:48:35 AM »
You should give it a fixed (static) IP address.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 12:54:48 PM »
You should give it a fixed (static) IP address.

How is that accomplished??

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 12:57:23 PM »
More or less the same for all, but it does depend on your router.  Example:  http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-475.html
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 09:59:50 AM »
The TP Link small router has frozen 2 more times.  I am able to reset it, but if this continues, it's just unacceptable.
Is using it wirelessly too big of a burden for it?
What could cause these little boxes to just stop working?
To plug it directly to main home router would mean moving my Davis console to another room where there is little space for additional stuff.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 10:04:30 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 11:29:37 AM »
Looks like you do not have the requisite USB hub to convert 1.x <-> 2.0 as specified at http://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 02:25:14 PM »
I see, you're saying the TP link is not backwards compatible with my data cable which must be USB 1.0?

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 11:51:23 AM »
Ordered backwards compatible hub.  Arriving today, we will see if that prevents the freeze ups.
Davis needs to update their components.  The stations themselves are still pretty good.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 07:47:42 PM »

Frozen again 4th time. With hub in place.
As I feared, lack of hub not the problem.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 07:37:44 PM »
Metrobridge crashes every day at about 6pm local. WHAT COULD CAUSE THIS?
Why would it run great for hours a day and then just stop? 

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 11:20:28 PM »
This sounds more like it's network related than the TP-Link itself?

On the MB Setup Network tab do you have the IP Addresses box set to Receive automatically (DHCP) or Set manually?

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 10:35:20 AM »
It is set to "receive automatically, DCHP"

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 10:55:41 AM »
I am happy to check any settings anywhere in my system that anyone thinks could cause a daily crash of the TP Link router.
It's very puzzling to me since it works perfectly for hours on end, only to suddenly crash, usually late in the afternoon.
Then, it's completely resetable.  When unplugged from power and replugged, it roars back to full operation and all of the places I send data to (WU, CWOP) are updated.
If this keeps happening, I do have a brand new TP Link 3020 that I can unwrap and program from scratch.

Perhaps I will eventually go Meteobridge Pro, but those are shocking expensive, like a new weather station, and it seems that I read of people having trouble with them also.

I attempted to register for the Meteobridge forum in order to put my questions to a larger and more focused audience, but I never received an email to registration request...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 10:57:22 AM by arrowspace90 »

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 05:01:09 PM »
DHCP acquires a lease of an IP from your router for a limited period of time as per was is set in the router. Maybe the interface/connection between the router  & TP-Link is dropping the IP once the DHCP lease has timed out and not renewing? This may have more to do with your router than the TP-Link?

Using a fixed IP may solve this but unless you know what you are doing then you could lock yourself out of your TP-Link.