Author Topic: Installed Aerocone over heater OK  (Read 932 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Installed Aerocone over heater OK
« on: April 18, 2017, 01:12:22 PM »
With help from Ryan at Scaled Instruments, I decided to go ahead and order the Aerocone. Since the rain gauge heater assembly is parallel to and adjacent to the tipping buckets, there is clearance for it to fit. I have fabricated by own copy of the heater (search WxForum for "YARCH") copying the PCB, power resistor, terminal block and thermal disc.

This will be a "summer only" installation. I have disconnected the heater power to insure that it will not run with the Aerocone installed. I plan on returning the other cone (later ribbed cone with provision for bird spikes) in the fall.

The Aerocone seems to be a tighter fit and I had to fiddle with the base a bit to get it aligned and seated correctly. The new debris filter does indeed latch very securely.

I didn't take a photo, since it doesn't look any different than the others already posted online. I basically wanted to pass along that the Aerocone does fit over the heater OK. Just don't run the heater with it. Not sure if it would hurt anything, but the distance to the cone plastic is probably less and could cause local distortion/melting. Also, obviously, the heater would not be effective with the new cone design anyways.  #-o

Greg H.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 09:58:37 AM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline tmieyal

Re: Installed Aerocone over heater OK
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 02:28:48 PM »
Hello!  Just wanted to say thanks for this info!  After reading your post, I too have successfully (and pretty easily) replaced the original VP2 rain cone with the new Aerocone.  My heater is unplugged and will not be needed again until October or November when I will swap out these cones once again in order to use the heater.  It was an easy switch, and very affordable at only $25 or so with shipping.  THANKS again for posting and very best wishes!!!

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Installed Aerocone over heater OK
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 02:50:51 PM »
Hello!  Just wanted to say thanks for this info!  After reading your post, I too have successfully (and pretty easily) replaced the original VP2 rain cone with the new Aerocone.  My heater is unplugged and will not be needed again until October or November when I will swap out these cones once again in order to use the heater.  It was an easy switch, and very affordable at only $25 or so with shipping.  THANKS again for posting and very best wishes!!!

You are most welcome. I thought that someone might find it useful to know.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF