Author Topic: Webcam looking over Colorado  (Read 1228 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Webcam looking over Colorado
« on: March 31, 2017, 12:49:16 PM »
Not exactly photography but still beautiful. I've been to this exact point many times. On the right is Paria Plateau and looking straight south clouds covering the North Kaibab Plateau which includes North Rim of Grand Canyon and famous mule deer herd which Theodore Roosevelt was so impressed by the deer and beauty of the area closed to hunting almost devastating the entire herd through mismanagement. Many lessons were learned about management.

Camera link: https://www.nps.gov/webcams-glca/po1.jpg?1480358050264
Randy

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: Webcam looking over Colorado
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 01:29:30 PM »
Randy,
What a beautiful spot.  There are so many, and both fortunately and unfortunately a wee bit hard to get to.

Is this your camera?  Or a publically accessable one, lkike NPS or someone's?

I know every spot is different, but in some ways looks a little like the view from Sunset Crater near Flagstaff and the Painted Desert, or the view north from Payson, AZ's airport towards the big mesas in the distance.

Nonetheless, you made me want to go back there.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 01:36:45 PM »
Thanks Dale, its a NPS webcam. The point was publicly available but only know mainly by locals, if you zoom in on google earth you can see a dirt road nearby. Now I haven't been there in couple years so things could have changed.

Really beautiful area. 
Randy

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 01:49:44 PM »
Randy:

Again, thank you.  If folks 'assume' others know about such wonders we'll never share or know to go looking for them.

I have been to Jackson Hole area many times.  A friend who grew up here in Wisconsin now lives there.  One year he returned for a visit after being away for quite awhile and while we were driving through the countryside he was quiet for a moment and said "I've forgotten how green Wisconsin can be in the spring."  It was vivid, and a great clear day, and while I longed for the views of the mountains and wide vistas, he appreciated those daily but not the intense colors that water brought to growing conditions.  Yet, I'd still like to see a great spring desert bloom sometime.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline wxthomson

• http://www.minnetonkaweather.com
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 02:31:29 PM »
Beautiful country!

Makes me want to plan a road trip.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 01:19:02 PM »
SHHHHH, don't tell a soul. We want to keep the West open and free of tourists!!!  :twisted:

There is nothing like riding in a 4-wheel drive vehicle for hours or days on end and never seeing any signs of human civilization anywhere except for the occasional vapor-trail of an aircraft flying far overhead. The wide-open areas of this country are few and far between unlike most of our coastal areas which are so over populated one has problems even moving without bumping into another person.

I can literally drive just over a mile from my home and be in a place that there is no sign of humans at all. It is quite nice to just be able to "get away" and enjoy nature by myself...
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 01:39:01 PM »
Don,
About 40 years ago, right after college and grad school, a buddy of mine went to Jackson, WY to work for the summer. He met a young guy about our age who was a ranger in Yellowstone, stationed at Hart Lake.  We got invited to hike in, spend the night (all a little disconcerting with heavy shutters on the cabin's windows to 'ward off grizzles, but if they want in they will get in).  The ranger got a call to walk out 'the back way' to check on the river flowing through the area and invited us along rather than going the way we came in.  17 miles later and three fordings of the extremely cold river, we got out to the last crossing which was in some sort of bucket that we ratcheted across the now much bigger and faster river.

I still recall having a lunch break and having him tell us that fewer than 300 people per year saw what we were, in a National Park that is heavily visited.  We didn't see a soul the whole day.  In the time before cell phones and good radio coverage, I'm glad no one rolled an ankle, had a medical emergency or whatever, but it was exhilarating. 

Enjoy the solitude, and hope that we slow down the rapid reproduction of the human species to a sustainable rate.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 01:55:03 PM »
Beautiful country. Just got back from a family vacation to the south rim.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 02:20:48 PM »
SHHHHH, don't tell a soul. We want to keep the West open and free of tourists!!!  :twisted:

There is nothing like riding in a 4-wheel drive vehicle for hours or days on end and never seeing any signs of human civilization anywhere except for the occasional vapor-trail of an aircraft flying far overhead. The wide-open areas of this country are few and far between unlike most of our coastal areas which are so over populated one has problems even moving without bumping into another person.

I can literally drive just over a mile from my home and be in a place that there is no sign of humans at all. It is quite nice to just be able to "get away" and enjoy nature by myself...

What I miss this the most after moving to Nebraska. Growing up in the west spoiled me to spectacular open country I took for granted all those years.
Randy

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 06:56:39 PM »
Randy,
You mean Nebraska isn't Big Sky Country?

When I moved out to my home for now approx 40 years, I had lots of neighbors with short trees and a view almost to the horizon.  Northern lights were easy to see and try to photograph (with film, no digital back then) and the sky watching for satellites and all was great.  Now I cannot see anything below about 45-60 degrees with all the trees growing up, which is good, but also bad.  And no farm fields with roads close enough to go out in search of observing storms or nature or whatever.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 07:17:13 PM »
You can see long ways here also, just not open to explore. Everything is owned (private). I've experienced claustrophobia when I lived in Mississippi for a while. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 09:16:18 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 07:33:44 AM »
That is a great view Randy. Thanks for posting.
I was only out west one time in my life when I was pretty young. Really opened my eyes to the vastness of the area.
Also those mountains! Didn't have any of them in Cleveland. I remember when we were driving across Kansas on a clear day. You could see the Rockies way off in the distance but it took forever to get to them. When we finally did I was in awe.
Definitely beautiful country out there.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll