Author Topic: System Blue Order help... please.  (Read 1191 times)

Offline cautery

System Blue Order help... please.
« on: March 23, 2017, 06:03:03 PM »
I'm finally coming up on the list to get a System Blue.

Am studying the docs, but frankly want to hammer out a "safety" order list to MAKE SURE I have everything I could need without making additional orders...
Don't care if I get stuff I might never need/use.

So...  help me build the order list...

PCB Base kit
3 x ferrite antennae
Aluminum Housing
8 SMA connectors???
4 filters???
???

Basically want to make sure I have the parts to fully populate the board for whatever may come up experimentally, et al...  I know I will build antennae, et al. but want to KNOW I can get up and running while I research and experiment/measure.
Clay Autery
More, Better, Faster...

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: System Blue Order help... please.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 07:21:22 PM »
 Sounds pretty good. 

Some of the Region Three folks who did populate with the filters may comment on whether or not it was worth the extra money to add them if there are no major noise sources.

I've seen the comment that it isn't necessary for most systems.  On the other hand it is easier to do all the soldering, stick it into the enclosure (be sure to wipe it out very well, and then I took the bare enclosure to the shop and blew it out really well to make sure no minor aluminum chaff or even little break offs from the screw holes would remain and cause board shorts) and be done with it.

I'm not sure about the three ferrites, but again one of the guys who has three can comment if it adds anything to the end result vs. two plus the EField antenna.

Good luck with the build and get the station on the air before big storm season. 

PS I assume you have an adequate power supply (several issues have come up with wimpy supplies) and all the other stuff you'll need with shielded CAT5 and antenna connections.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: System Blue Order help... please.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 09:12:16 AM »
I placed the LT filters on my first Blue board. After experimentation, I ended up opening the bandwidth up to the point that they really were not doing much. Also, my first Blue with the filters under performed the RED system, but has different antenna configurations.

I experienced CPU failure due to what I believe (but cannot prove) is a combination of the Vreg issue on the first level boards (not a worry for yours), solder touch-up on the CPU pins, and the LT filter chips. I don't know (and probably never will) if the LT parts back fed the CPU when the Vreg was in the shutdown fault condition.

At any rate, much to my surprise the new Blue board (I only changed the controller board and left the E-Field and H-Field amps/antennas in place), began frequently outperforming the RED system. I would recommend that you leave the filters off the board and not use them.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

anything