Author Topic: My findings comparing Acurite, Davis Instruments, and Ambient Weather  (Read 21013 times)

Offline DC

As a way of contributing to and paying back a forum that I have learned much from this post shares some of my findings as a novice into the world of weather, weather station technology, and trying to decide what to buy.

Entering any new technical area can be confusing with new terminology, acronyms, inaccurate information, etc.  The first thing I wanted to understand is what products are available, how they worked, what are the limits in both vender specifications and real world environments.   After initial research I decided to focus on three vendors in the all-in-one weather station market.  The three were the Davis Instruments, Acurite, and Ambient Weather. 

I was disappointed in the vendor comparison reviews I was able to find.  Not much detail, seemed dated, information was inconsistent, no real world testing, etc.   So in order to better understand and compare capabilities, I created a comparison chart of the three vendors (see attached).   A couple of comments on the chart:
• I have no bias or preferred vendor, my objective is to find the systems that best met my needs
• There are more than three vendors, I only limited my search to three to save time.
• The specifications are from the vendors published specification or from queries into vendor customer service organizations.  Note this comparison chart does not look at ease of set up, usability, and reliability.   Also, my research to date has not focused on the capabilities of the web and/or mobile applications available from system vendors, third party, open source, etc. 
• The prices referenced are from Amazon and/or vendors website.  Prices of course are subject to change, negotiation, specials, etc.
• Since Acurite is one of the vendors I was evaluating and they have officially announced their next generation of product line with some specifications, I have included these products in the chart.  In Acurite’s  press release dated January 1, 2017 the company states, “the systems will be available later this year”. 

Some lessons learned from my journey to help you make the most informed decision and to avoid the ‘I wish I would have known’.   
• Like all projects define your objectives for a weather system, including ranking/prioritizing specific measurement needs and features.  Also, think about usability and how you will view/use the information.  Of course what is your budget?
• Think about your location climate, landscape, and where you are willing to put your sensor before buying.  Very few people will have the perfect location to meet official weather standards for the most accurate measurements.  Take the time learn about these factors from this forum, vendor web sites, etc to understand the issues, challenges, trade offs.   You will more than likely have to compromise, which is why prioritizing, is key.
• Accuracy.  We all want our system to be accurate, isn’t that the point of a PWS, what is happening at my property now as opposed to app that pulls data from XX miles away and updates every hour.   Accuracy depends on the specification of system and location of the sensor(s).   The most accurate weather stations have separate components that are placed in the appropriate locations according to standards.   The all-in-one weather stations are a trade off in overall accuracy by design for lower price and ease of installation.   My take is all three of the vendor’s products provide an accurate representation of the weather from the sensor.  They all work, they all have had some issues along their respective product life cycles, some of which are product related and some are user related.  Some products can be more (see specs for how much more) accurate with better sensors, more frequent update intervals, and reporting, which may or may not be important to you.   However, my take is a system with average specifications properly located will be more accurate than a system with excellent specifications that is poorly located.  A comment of Internet weather community sites, such as weather underground.  While they can be interesting, fun, and informative, I wouldn’t use them to test accuracy of your weather station other than at a high level due to difference in distance, evaluation, update time, sensor location, type of system, etc.  The most precise way to test your system for accuracy is with hand held instrumentation at the sensor and/or install 2 products side by side.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:08:33 PM by DC »

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: My findings comparing Acurite, Davis Instruments, and Ambient Weather
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 01:41:58 PM »
Nice chart.

One comment, is that the Davis Vantage VUE does support a remote anemometer via 6332 and a VP2 anemometer. I have several VUE consoles configured this way.

Detachable Anemometer     No    No    Yes, cable    Yes, cable    No    Yes, cable or wireless

So the answer is "no" to cabled, "yes" to wireless for VUE.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 02:51:29 PM »
Good catch, attached is the updated chart.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 03:30:48 PM »
Nice chart.  A couple things though.  You should add "Water Temperature" sensor capability (pools, spas, lakes, etc.) and use MSRP.  For example on the latter, yesterday you could have got the Acurite for $99 bucks - free shipping.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 08:03:21 PM »
Good catch, I am actually planning on using this functionality for lake water temperatures this spring.  FWIW, both Acurite and Davis offer the water/liquid probe with the temperature sensor.  Acurite makes it obvious with lots of options and Davis requires a little bit of digging to see that you can measure liquid/water temperature with their wireless temperature probe.  See updated attachment.

As to MSRP pricing, I choose Amazon because I think it is the fairest overall sense of what these products are selling for without constantly updating for sales like you reference and very few products sell for MSRP.   More important than pricing to me and the primary objective of the chart is give interested buyers, especially newbies an understanding capability and accuracy specs to answer questions about accuracy and how accurate is accurate enough for their needs and location.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:05:53 PM by DC »

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 08:27:18 PM »
Amazon might be a lot of things, but  ....  'fair'?  You must not be too familiar with how they operate.

If you're going to do a comparison chart, keep it fully impartial.  Either list multiple places for purchase, or none at all.

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 08:38:03 PM »
To be correct the Vantage Vue does not have a "detachable anemometer" (as such) but has the ability to receive from a separate secondary Anemometer kit (in lieu of the standard Vue anemometer) which is not part of a stand-alone Vantage Vue package and is an additional purchase.   

Number of sensors supported including the all in one sensor (1 with Vue Console). The Vue console can receive the Vue ISS plus Anemometer Transmitter kit, which would make 2 "including the all in one sensor" 

Also check the Soil & Leaf capability (Yes?) for the Vue
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:45:37 PM by Mattk »

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 01:13:21 AM »
To be correct the Vantage Vue does not have a "detachable anemometer" (as such) but has the ability to receive from a separate secondary Anemometer kit (in lieu of the standard Vue anemometer) which is not part of a stand-alone Vantage Vue package and is an additional purchase.   

Number of sensors supported including the all in one sensor (1 with Vue Console). The Vue console can receive the Vue ISS plus Anemometer Transmitter kit, which would make 2 "including the all in one sensor" 

Also check the Soil & Leaf capability (Yes?) for the Vue

Yes, good catch on clarification, revised is attached.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 01:25:31 AM »
Amazon might be a lot of things, but  ....  'fair'?  You must not be too familiar with how they operate.

If you're going to do a comparison chart, keep it fully impartial.  Either list multiple places for purchase, or none at all.

I debated on weather or not to include prices, I believe it is relevant and helps to position products when looking at capability but as stated above prices and for that matter configuration details are not the primary objective of the chart. 

As to your Amazon comment, it is the only market place I found that sells all three products, there may be others.  You are taking my comment about market prices via amazon out of context, I have no comment on amazon business practices being fair or not, it is just a benchmark.  You are welcome to and I will not be offended if you want to add as many pricing options from as many vendors as you wish to this post or the document. 

« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:29:26 AM by DC »

Offline dow

• Village Idiot in training
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 09:43:08 AM »
DC,

I'd like to take a moment to thank you for putting all the work in on creating this resource.  Hopefully you've made the process of choosing a weather station much easier for all of us.  Deciding on a weather station can be an exercise in confusion, especially for a newbie.

Thanks again for a job well done!
https://www.pwsweather.com/station/pws/ktxboern48
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 10:09:42 AM »
I too would like to thank you DC! Your chart makes me all the more motivated to wait for the release of the Atlas Elite. My hopes/concerns for that unit are: build quality/accuracy of sensors, functionality of software, and ability to separate sensors in an effective manner so as to give more accurate readings than all-in-one units. I'm also wondering about whether the solar cells will be charging the batteries in addition to powering the aspirating fan (a fan that might not be needed for cooling if a separate temp sensor can be placed in a properly shaded area).

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 03:36:19 PM »
I would also like to add my thanks for the chart. As a complete newbie to weather stations, this is really helpful for me to learn about the differences between the available products without having to dig through multiple forums and posts.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 03:38:12 PM by alanb »
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 07:24:11 PM »
You need to change your Davis info. The solar cell does not charge  the battery. The battery in the ISS is non chargable.  The solar cell charges up an  super Cap that is used  at night to run the unit  and the battery only kicks in when the super cap is discharged.

Offline fsi1212

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 12:29:18 AM »
As a way of contributing to and paying back a forum that I have learned much from this post shares some of my findings as a novice into the world of weather, weather station technology, and trying to decide what to buy.

Entering any new technical area can be confusing with new terminology, acronyms, inaccurate information, etc.  The first thing I wanted to understand is what products are available, how they worked, what are the limits in both vender specifications and real world environments.   After initial research I decided to focus on three vendors in the all-in-one weather station market.  The three were the Davis Instruments, Acurite, and Ambient Weather. 

I was disappointed in the vendor comparison reviews I was able to find.  Not much detail, seemed dated, information was inconsistent, no real world testing, etc.   So in order to better understand and compare capabilities, I created a comparison chart of the three vendors (see attached).   A couple of comments on the chart:
• I have no bias or preferred vendor, my objective is to find the systems that best met my needs
• There are more than three vendors, I only limited my search to three to save time.
• The specifications are from the vendors published specification or from queries into vendor customer service organizations.  Note this comparison chart does not look at ease of set up, usability, and reliability.   Also, my research to date has not focused on the capabilities of the web and/or mobile applications available from system vendors, third party, open source, etc. 
• The prices referenced are from Amazon and/or vendors website.  Prices of course are subject to change, negotiation, specials, etc.
• Since Acurite is one of the vendors I was evaluating and they have officially announced their next generation of product line with some specifications, I have included these products in the chart.  In Acurite’s  press release dated January 1, 2017 the company states, “the systems will be available later this year”. 

Some lessons learned from my journey to help you make the most informed decision and to avoid the ‘I wish I would have known’.   
• Like all projects define your objectives for a weather system, including ranking/prioritizing specific measurement needs and features.  Also, think about usability and how you will view/use the information.  Of course what is your budget?
• Think about your location climate, landscape, and where you are willing to put your sensor before buying.  Very few people will have the perfect location to meet official weather standards for the most accurate measurements.  Take the time learn about these factors from this forum, vendor web sites, etc to understand the issues, challenges, trade offs.   You will more than likely have to compromise, which is why prioritizing, is key.
• Accuracy.  We all want our system to be accurate, isn’t that the point of a PWS, what is happening at my property now as opposed to app that pulls data from XX miles away and updates every hour.   Accuracy depends on the specification of system and location of the sensor(s).   The most accurate weather stations have separate components that are placed in the appropriate locations according to standards.   The all-in-one weather stations are a trade off in overall accuracy by design for lower price and ease of installation.   My take is all three of the vendor’s products provide an accurate representation of the weather from the sensor.  They all work, they all have had some issues along their respective product life cycles, some of which are product related and some are user related.  Some products can be more (see specs for how much more) accurate with better sensors, more frequent update intervals, and reporting, which may or may not be important to you.   However, my take is a system with average specifications properly located will be more accurate than a system with excellent specifications that is poorly located.  A comment of Internet weather community sites, such as weather underground.  While they can be interesting, fun, and informative, I wouldn’t use them to test accuracy of your weather station other than at a high level due to difference in distance, evaluation, update time, sensor location, type of system, etc.  The most precise way to test your system for accuracy is with hand held instrumentation at the sensor and/or install 2 products side by side.

Where are you seeing the Acurite Pro+ has soil sensors? I don't see that on their webpage, but I've been looking for a soil sensor.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 04:26:05 AM »
Didn't see option for snow heater for VP2, also has longer range repeaters options if needed. All those soil, leaf etc sensors will cost much more also and not standard.

http://www.davisnet.com/product/wireless-long-range-repeater-with-solar-power/

The worse thing about the VP2 needs highlighted, it doesn't have altimeter pressure ability which is a biggy for those not at sea level. Yes, it can send adjusted altimeter using software to CWOP and WU but as an station owner you are still stuck looking at SLP on console. Not good IMO.
Randy

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 08:21:18 AM »
I took another look at the latest version and I noticed that the item for Lightning says "Lighting". You may want to fix this when you get the chance.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 09:48:04 AM »
The Elite holds the trophy for update intervals/and has most of the important features pretty much. I cant wait to score one!

Not impressed at all with them specs that the David VP2 has, and for that kind of money!, and you don't even get a fan you have to pay for the upgrade??  :roll:
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 04:30:52 PM »
Not impressed at all with them specs that the David VP2 has, and for that kind of money!, and you don't even get a fan you have to pay for the upgrade??  :roll:
Really? What are you reading? There isn't ONE thing the Elite does better/more accurately than a VP2, except update a half a second quicker.  :roll:

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 04:50:57 PM »
Really? What are you reading? There isn't ONE thing the Elite does better/more accurately than a VP2, except update a half a second quicker.  :roll:

Refresh times From what I'm seeing;

AcuRite Elite                                                 VP2

wind speed- 2s                                            2.5s

Range- 0-200mph                                        1-200mph

direction- 2s                                                 2.5s

out side temp- 2s (-40 to 158)                     10-12s(-40 to 150)

Humidity- 30s                                             50-60s

UV- 2s                                                         1m

Rain- 10s                                                    20-24s

and that's not all of them, am I not seeing it right?
and one has to pay to get a fan for that kind of $?

:roll: :roll:
KMIBADAX38

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 05:33:41 PM »
Isn't that what I just said? This is Acurite attempt to sway people with, to me a meaningless somewhat quicker update time, away from the VP2 with superior sensors. The only update time that matters here is a half second quicker with the wind, and that's no deal breaker. I'll keep my VP2, enjoy your Elite.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 05:47:27 PM »
Isn't that what I just said? This is Acurite attempt to sway people with, to me a meaningless somewhat quicker update time, away from the VP2 with superior sensors. The only update time that matters here is a half second quicker with the wind, and that's no deal breaker. I'll keep my VP2, enjoy your Elite.
Most of then readings are more then a half second faster AND you get a 24hr fan.

Faster quicker updated information is better to me.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 05:52:01 PM by daman »
KMIBADAX38

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 05:56:28 PM »
Most of then readings are more then a half second faster.

Faster quicker updated information is better to me. And no fan.
Yes, quicker is better, but the only relevant one is the wind (barely), the others are nothing more than window dressing as far as I'm concerned.
Enjoy your low/no wind temp spikes without a fan too.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2017, 06:11:30 PM »

Yes, quicker is better, but the only relevant one is the wind (barely), the others are nothing more than window dressing as far as I'm concerned.
Why would anyone want a station that delivers slooow/slower data when there's quicker avalible? All data is relevant isn't that why we have weather stations? to observe current readings?

Unclear on your "Enjoy your low/no wind temp spikes without a fan too"  statement? the Elite has a 24hr fan your VP2 after spending almost $700 you need to upgrade more because you have no fan, really?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 06:14:21 PM by daman »
KMIBADAX38

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2017, 06:29:48 PM »

Why would anyone want a station that delivers slooow/slower data when there's quicker avalible? All data is relevant isn't that why we have weather stations? to observe current readings?

Unclear on your "Enjoy your low/no wind temp spikes without a fan too"  statement? the Elite has a 24hr fan your VP2 after spending almost $700 you need to upgrade more because you have no fan really?
Because they're basically meaningless, TO ME.
As far as the fan comment, I was merely going off your comment "And no fan".
As far as "upgrade more because you have no fan", I have no idea what you're referring to. I did remove the stock fan and now use a case fan for convenience, reliability, and greater performance.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2017, 06:31:56 PM »

Unclear on your "Enjoy your low/no wind temp spikes without a fan too"  statement? the Elite has a 24hr fan your VP2 after spending almost $700 you need to upgrade more because you have no fan really?
Because they're basically meaningless, TO ME.
As far as the fan comment, I was merely going off your comment "And no fan".
As far as "upgrade more because you have no fan", I have no idea what you're referring to. I did remove the stock fan and now use a case fan for convenience, reliability, and greater performance.
According to the OP spread sheet the VP2 has no fan you need to "upgrade" to get the fan?

and you came riding in sward held high saying the Elite does nothing better then the VP2, I was just correcting the info.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 06:34:03 PM by daman »
KMIBADAX38