Author Topic: My Homemade Radiation Shield  (Read 2997 times)

Offline Garagedude

My Homemade Radiation Shield
« on: February 13, 2017, 09:57:45 PM »
I'm new to the hobby but I thought I would post My homemade radiation shield that I made. So far it works really well and keeps the high readings down. I'm using an Acurite 02007 and its less that 1 deg difference from my neighbors Davis station. When I first put the sensor in it the temp didn't go down but after I turned the fan on, the temp went down to the same as my neighbors so it seems to work good. I put a timer on it so the fan shuts off at sunset and turns on at sunrise. I didn't know if the insulation was needed so I can always remove it real easy. I put the red mesh cover on the bottom to keep bugs and etc out of it. Please leave some feedback so I can learn from my mistakes.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: My Homemade Radiation Shield
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 08:21:49 AM »
Looks good. My only comment is to make sure you have this on a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) since you used a 120V fan.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Garagedude

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 08:37:19 AM »
Ok, I hadn't really thought I would need one. That's an easy fix tho. Thanks

Offline Garagedude

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 09:53:18 PM »
I added the GFCI and also returned the AcuRite and went with Lacrosse. My readings are dead on now. I'm happy

Offline Garagedude

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 12:43:32 AM »
After weeks of mods and testing I removed the insulation from the inside. I also added four 1/2in thick sheets of insulation to surround the 5in pipe. The fan draws from the bottom which has a rubber screen over it. However ugly or different, it keeps the temps to within 1 degree of the neighbors Davis weather station on the hottest days. It works better at keeping the temps on track with the fan running 24/7. When it was on a timer it seemed to get warmer during the day.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 12:56:35 AM by Garagedude »

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 08:01:02 PM »
After weeks of mods and testing I removed the insulation from the inside. I also added four 1/2in thick sheets of insulation to surround the 5in pipe. The fan draws from the bottom which has a rubber screen over it. However ugly or different, it keeps the temps to within 1 degree of the neighbors Davis weather station on the hottest days. It works better at keeping the temps on track with the fan running 24/7. When it was on a timer it seemed to get warmer during the day.

I know this is an old thread but just wondering how many CFM's your fan pulls? I've got an AC fan in my VP2 that pulls 24 CFM and whenever I turn the fan off then back on there is a distinct temp drop back to ambient temp. Fans are totally worth having.
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS