Author Topic: Upgrading Weather Display  (Read 2125 times)

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
Upgrading Weather Display
« on: August 07, 2016, 04:43:00 PM »
How involved is it?  I'm running an older version and have no complaints.  Everything is working great so I  haven't updated my version in quite some time.  If I decide to upgrade, will I have to go through all my settings again or does everything gets pulled over automatically?
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: Upgrading Weather Display
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 04:55:08 PM »
How involved is it?  I'm running an older version and have no complaints.  Everything is working great so I  haven't updated my version in quite some time.  If I decide to upgrade, will I have to go through all my settings again or does everything gets pulled over automatically?

I have never had any issues with upgrading WD to a newer version. In fact, I just did it last night from a version that was several years old to 10.37S b17 and then, a few minutes later Brian released another update 10.37S b18 and I installed that one too without any issues whatsoever. Look in the WD FAQ for some ideas on what to back-up before you do the upgrade.

Just download the latest full .exe version and run it. Magic seems to happen!  ;)
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 04:59:53 PM »

I have never had any issues with upgrading WD to a newer version. In fact, I just did it last night from a version that was several years old to 10.37S b17 and then, a few minutes later Brian released another update 10.37S b18 and I installed that one too without any issues whatsoever. Look in the WD FAQ for some ideas on what to back-up before you do the upgrade.

Just download the latest full .exe version and run it. Magic seems to happen!  ;)

Good to know it's a smooth process. I may have to give it a try later tonight. 

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 05:00:53 PM »
Yes, what W3DRM said.  :-)  I also like to rename the previous downloaded file before downloading the newer version. It's easy to "roll back" to a previous version should you have any problems so I like to keep at least the last version on hand although I can honestly say that in over 10 years of using WD I only had to do that once.  :-)
Bill

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 08:18:27 PM »
One more question....you all said to download the latest full .exe installation.  Just to clarify, that would be the latest FULL and not the latest patch file.

WD site shows this is the latest:

Weather Display install file  v 10.37S Build 18

(with my luck, everything is going to crash  #-o )

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 06:21:17 AM »
One more question....you all said to download the latest full .exe installation.  Just to clarify, that would be the latest FULL and not the latest patch file.

WD site shows this is the latest:

Weather Display install file  v 10.37S Build 18

That's correct.
Bill

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 06:36:01 PM »
with the upgrade of WD you will need to take note that the new .exe name is now WeatherDisplay.exe and not WeatherD.exe and so you will need to change/edit any start with windows shortcuts or similar.
Also if you are using windows XP there are a few extra requirements