Author Topic: Build Your Own Davis Console Datalogger  (Read 108812 times)

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
Re: Build Your Own Davis Console Datalogger
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2011, 01:56:56 AM »
My latest post reveals the connection between Britney Spears and the great physicists of our time, but is totally unrelated to weather stuff.

LOL!  I didn't realize that Britney was at Solvay, though I'm more inclined to believe the Heddy Lamarr story.  And where did you get that photo of my front porch?

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2011, 02:12:36 AM »
Hedy Lamarr was a genius.  Gorgeous didn't hurt her case, either.  And in honour of our great Chip-meister,I dropped a C-note to the Sally Ann today.  I figure anyone who can ask for cash from drunks in a bar deserves some help.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2011, 03:06:16 AM »
It's Hed-ley!

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2011, 09:26:27 PM »
And in honour of our great Chip-meister,I dropped a C-note to the Sally Ann today.  I figure anyone who can ask for cash from drunks in a bar deserves some help.

Thanks Bushman.  This made my day.

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2012, 07:23:51 AM »
I have now received the boards from the PCB manufacturers, First three built and tested, another 17 ready for anyone that wants them. remember that these have the FTDI USB cable attached, and have the same logging ability as the Davis loggers. They will work with Cumulus and Weather Display, but not with Weatherlink.

cost is less than $70 (and that inculdes postage!)

PM me if you want one

Offline ukwoody

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2012, 02:41:52 PM »
Belfryboy, can you confirm a UK price for those who may be interested, please?

Also, (being a total luddite here) is there a way which your datalogger can work with Sloweather's interface? and be used to give the complete "all in one" type experience without paying the extortionate amount Davis want?? (and if not it's about time you two got together and made a bit of money with each other,LOL).

Woody

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2012, 02:50:39 PM »
UKwoody,

this is the all in one package. It is designed to be used instead of the Davis logger and software. I would be happy to share the design files with Sloweather, to improve his simple interface (also it would be easier than me having to ship loggers to the states....).

Offline ukwoody

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2012, 02:58:57 PM »
My appologies, for some strange reason I didnt realise it had the full interface as well, Doh!
So if I bought a Vantage Vue, I could use this and WD straight onto my PC (and thus the web)?

Appologies, I am extremely tired and somewhat slow at the moment!

Cheers
Woody  Ps, just got your messsage, thanks.

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2012, 03:04:56 PM »
That's the idea!  \:D/

Offline ukwoody

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2012, 03:14:32 PM »
Great!. Looks distinctly like my wh3080 is going back, and I'm trying to raise the extra dosh for a Vue, so I'll be in touch.
many thanks!

Woody

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2012, 05:15:08 AM »
Here are the design files for anyone that wants to build their own.

In the Zip files are the Gerber files that a PCB manufacturer would require.

I have recently finished the first batch of 10, these are now available for anyone that doesn't want to build their own.

Offline MaxHawkins

• Max Hawkins
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2012, 05:25:28 AM »
Can't wait for mine to arrive, the WeatherLink is so overpriced which is a shame considering Davis' stations are so good!
Davis Vantage Vue - Cumulus - Weather Underground ICARMART10

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2012, 07:02:42 AM »
Here are pictures of the finished article, the first is the finished PCB without cable

logger_pcb by belfryboy, on Flickr

The second is a fully tested unit with USB cable attached. It has been given a sleek domed black epoxy finish.
Can't wait for mine to arrive, the WeatherLink is so overpriced which is a shame considering Davis' stations are so good!

BTW Max, this is your one on soak test in my VP1 console! On it's way to you today!

logger_fitted by belfryboy, on Flickr

Offline MaxHawkins

• Max Hawkins
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2012, 07:40:38 AM »
BTW Max, this is your one on soak test in my VP1 console! On it's way to you today!

logger_fitted by belfryboy, on Flickr

Awesome!

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2012, 12:44:37 PM »
good stuff I say :)
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2012, 11:18:57 AM »
 In creating this little beast a few people have found out that unless you are using weather link, you are unable to set the logging interval. this should no longer be a problem. If you use Cumulus the softare does not set the logging interval of the logger, so you have to use a terminal program to set the logger up. If you use Weather display, then just use the Davis datalogger set up facility included.

Thanks to a tame code monkey I now have a setup program that works with my Datalogger clone. It connects via the virtual com port and sends the required commands, with only a little bit of help from the operator. Follow these simple steps.

1. Install the logger in the console as per the Davis instructions. (unplug the mains supply, remove batteries.)
2. Connect the USB logger clone cable to an available USB port and install the drivers from if here promted.
3. Figure out which port your logger is on by following these instructions.
4. extract the LoggerSetup Zip file (attached to the end of this post) to a suitable location and open the WeatherStation Exe file. you should see a panel like this:

TEST by belfryboy, on Flickr
5. Move the Com port indicator the port that you found your logger on, and hit the "open" button.
6. In the "Message" box type "TEST"  (IN CAPITALS) and hit send, you may need to do this a few times to wake the console up.  Once you get characters in the "received Messages" box you are ready to set the interval!
7. Using the drop down in the message window hit the "CLRLOG" message and hit send. this will clear any previous daa from the logger.

clrlog by belfryboy, on Flickr
8. Now set the interval that you require, use the message drop down to select "SETPER" and the parameter drop down to select the value, then hit send. Remember to set this as the same value in Cumulus as well otherwise Cumulus can get upset and hang.

setper by belfryboy, on Flickr
9. Then use the message drop down to select "START" and hit send.

start by belfryboy, on Flickr
10. Close the Com port, and then the set up program and your logger is running! open Cumulus and away you go.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:22:47 AM by belfryboy »

Offline MaxHawkins

• Max Hawkins
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2012, 01:11:44 PM »
Hi belfryboy and all,

Received my DIY Logger today and after a little bit of fiddling and working out I've got it running perfectly in Cumulus through VirtualVP to boot! One thing to note is to remember to install the VCP drivers from http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm so that your weather software is able to connect.

I am running this through a Windows Home Server unit, but I can also confirm belfryboy's Datalogger works fine on my Mac Pro on OSX 10.7.2 Lion, at least in WeatherSnoop. Again using the drivers off the website above. Obviously you need a PC to run the app to activate the logging if you want it to start saving data (should be possible in a virtual instance of Windows as well).

Extremely happy with this and will be doing some more testing and playing around with the device. Cheers again Rob!

Ta,

Max.

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2012, 09:35:17 PM »
Looks like a nice little app, should make things pretty easy for anyone that doesn't know how to use a terminal program. A couple of things though...

6. In the "Message" box type "TEST"  (IN CAPITALS) and hit send, you may need to do this a few times to wake the console up.  Once you get characters in the "received Messages" box you are ready to set the interval!

You're supposed to send a LF or CR/LF to wake up the serial port, although I suppose just about anything would work.

7. Using the drop down in the message window hit the "CLRLOG" message and hit send. this will clear any previous daa from the logger.

This is redundant, the SETPER command clears the logger memory (that's done so that all data stored in the logger is of the same time interval).

Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2012, 05:55:19 AM »
C5250,

I usually use the TEST message, just to make sure that it's all working, the LF and CR are sent in all the message anyway. (i sometimes like to use the "LAMPS 1" and "LAMPS 0" to prove I am the master of the console!

I wasn't aware that SETPER also clear the log, thanks!

Offline ukwoody

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2012, 07:19:17 AM »
belfryboy,

what length of cable is attched to your unit please, also what does it terminate in? is it a USb plug or serial??

many thanks

Woody

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2012, 08:09:28 AM »
belfryboy,

what length of cable is attched to your unit please, also what does it terminate in? is it a USb plug or serial??

many thanks

Woody
The cable length is 1.8m and has a USB termination.

Offline ukwoody

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2012, 02:07:16 PM »
Brilliant, have today sold a woodworking machine which will pay for my Vue. I'll order it in a couple of days and email you at same time all being well.
woody

Offline K3JAE

• Contributor
  • Davis VP2 Wireless
    • K3JAE's Weather Station
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2012, 06:22:27 PM »
Maybe I missed this, but does this item also store data like the Davis version for a period of time in case WD gets hung or is shut down?

I currently run sloweather's cable which works fine... Also is this cable capable of doing software updates to the console should Davis release one in the future?

73's de K3JAE

John
K3JAE Weather Station

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2012, 06:37:40 PM »
Maybe I missed this, but does this item also store data like the Davis version for a period of time in case WD gets hung or is shut down?
yes, that is posted in the information in this thread
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2012, 03:23:59 AM »

I currently run sloweather's cable which works fine... Also is this cable capable of doing software updates to the console should Davis release one in the future?

Yep. That's right, it has the same storage capacity as the Davis logger. I can't be certain that it does the firmware upgrade, since I have a VP1 that does not support cable uploads, but if SloWeather's cable can do it, then I don't see any problems, perhaps anyone that receives one of my cables can give it a go and report back?

anything