Author Topic: WU New Look ~ What Do You Think?  (Read 4594 times)

Offline SkellyCA

WU New Look ~ What Do You Think?
« on: March 27, 2019, 12:44:48 AM »
For the most part I like it. I just wish the map area was a little bigger.

What do you think?
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much room.

Offline theslydog

Re: WU New Look ~ What Do You Think?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 02:25:57 AM »

What do you think?

Sucks.

Lots broken. F to C does not work.

Map hides 1/2 of the stations near you.

Wind doesn't update.

Summary is wrong.

Ads are even BIGGER!!

Looks like it updates far less regularly.

How to lose users in one easy lesson....

Offline buffy

• Contributor
  • My PWS: Garni Ventus 830
    • PWS Monitor
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 04:01:10 AM »
I see only bigger ad banner and all values are in imperial units. I need metric.

Yes, it looks better...

Offline smellster

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 07:50:58 AM »
It looks great if you like Imperial units and are three years old....

Other than that awful.

Offline drace3000

• Webster New York Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 08:43:46 AM »
I totally agree with theslydog this new version is a huge step backwards. Why try to fix something that wasn't broken. Especially the wind does not refresh like the previous version.  I have more interactions on my own meteotemplate site at http://websternywx.info/

"TheSlyDog"
Lots broken. F to C does not work.

Map hides 1/2 of the stations near you.

Wind doesn't update.

Summary is wrong.

Ads are even BIGGER!!

Looks like it updates far less regularly.

How to lose users in one easy lesson....

Offline mikemaps

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 08:44:40 AM »
Not working well at all, but perhaps we need to give them a few days to get their act together. Looks more modern, but at this point I'd go back to the old format in a heartbeat!

Offline SkellyCA

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 10:12:27 AM »
Well it's a good thing I asked about the new look and not the functionality  :shock: LOL
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much room.

Offline jjh92

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 10:18:48 AM »
Each widget has lots of grey space, tighten them up so I see all widgets in one screen and do not need to scroll.  Definitely make map bigger, bigger, bigger

Offline fatham

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 10:20:33 AM »
CHANGE does not always mean improvement. There is nothing I like about this "Locked IN" display.

Give us the option to go back pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Cheers

Offline Ajward7976

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 10:25:40 AM »
are there any other programs that offer a rapid fire feature to upload data from a pws?

Offline wxnut99

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 12:24:51 PM »
It sucks..

Used to display all the data nicely in a continuous rapid fire display on your mobile device.. now, have to scroll through static images to see all the data. No metric units. Terrible layout.

I've come to realize that software programmers regard updates as "make it worse".. 

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 12:41:36 PM »
for t hose who hate it so much, just take your checkbook elsewhere, and go and subscribe to a different site..

for the adults in the room, give them 30 days or so to sort out their issues, and then make your decision..

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 01:21:24 PM »
I think it is worth every penny I pay for it.  :)  And some developer did an awesome UX with crayons.  LOL
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 01:36:40 PM »
At some point, you have to just cut bait and run... I'm almost to that point... they keep throwing stuff at the wall, but so far it just ain't stickin'.

Offline DWIGHT123

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 01:41:08 PM »
I can’t even access the Wunderground PWS this is getting hilarious.

Offline shasta_doug

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 02:09:24 PM »
Don't they even test the UI before going live and get user feedback?!?  I know they probably need to work out the kinks since going live and dealing the scale of PWSs now inundating their systems.   But so far I have observed these error and missing parts.

1. No live update of wind any more
2. Too much grey space around the widgets and have to scroll down to see current stats
3. Linked weather camera does not show most recent static picture.  It's just a grey box.  If you click on it, it will then show the weathercam video for the last 24 hours.
4. In daily stats, rain amount is shown as 0.0in even though there is rain listed in the graph for the day.
5. The data graph now is not based upon a 24 hour day, but will expand out as the day goes on starting from midnight to the current hour.  That means as the day goes on, the graph will get more compressed.

Crossing fingers, but don't have much faith in this change.  They should of had a new UI example PWS up for comment before cutting over.

Offline jas340

• Lone Pine Ranch  Horseshoe Bend, Idaho  USA
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 02:50:38 PM »
It sucks. Before you could make the window 1/4 the size of your screen and all the data would be displayed. It was beautiful. Cumulus took up 3/4 of the screen and WU the other quarter for my secondary system. First they killed the Roku app which was a fantastic app. Then they got rid of the web cams and then brought them back. I never put mine back up. Now this. The retard running the show is living proof that the "Peter principle" is alive and flourishing over at WU.

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 02:53:18 PM »

What do you think?
Speaking only about the look and not the (dis)function here goes...
I primarily use an iPad, in landscape mode, to view the site so my comments are based on that.
Map: Not only does it need to be bigger it should be closer to a 1:1 aspect ratio. On the iPad it only fills about 2/3 of the box it's in. Very wide, not very tall and not very usable.
Graphics for current conditions, temp, wind, pressure, etc.: These take up a LOT of space on the page while providing very little information.  I preferred the old look.
Summary (high, low, average): This appears to be unchanged and looks fine.
Graphs: I much preferred the old graphs that showed 24 hours and you could watch the various lines move across the graph during the day.

Overall I'm not a fan of the new look. I'd go back in a heartbeat if I could.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 03:06:53 PM »
The look is not very good at all.  Too little information is displayed on the page simply because of the amount of wasted space.  The updates, if you leave the page open, are either so slow as to not be noticeable or require refreshing the page to see any changes.  I guess "rapid fire" will be a thing of the past but only time will tell since they deployed this "technological marvel" before the backed was ready and, apparently, with little or no testing.  Another case of the improvement being a wrecking ball.
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline mike_b

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2019, 03:48:08 PM »
I'm disappointed with the new PWS page.

The blocks of Temperature, Maps, Wind and others create too much wasted space on the page. I must now scroll down much farther to see the "Weather History" information and graphs for my station.

Looks like real-time updates are no longer provided. I had to refresh the page to see new data.

Because of the new WU site and WU Android app problems I'm actively looking for alternatives.
In the Weather Underground Android app I'm tired of seeing "Try again later" or "Couldn't update location".
I'm waiting for the new PWSWeather site to be released. Hopefully, it will be better and I can move away from the Weather Underground web site.
For Android, the app "Weather & Widget - Weawow" is working well for forecast information. I get weather data from my PWS on my Pebble smartwatch, so I don't need to use the Weather Underground app.

This is sad because in the past I really liked Weather Underground.
Mike, in the Cascade Mountains of Oregon
Davis Vantage Pro2, Cumulus software.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2019, 06:30:41 PM »
Looks and operates like the losing entry in a fifth grade coding competition.

IBM should be ashamed of itself.

Offline Rfine

• Krugerville- Fairview Farms KTXAUBRE32
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 08:37:22 PM »
I also want to see all PWS current data on one screen.  The old version was just fine, they just needed to fix all the connection issues.  I also liked the old forecast screen better.  After they went to the new forecast screen I switched to Intellicast because it had a quick look at the forecast and easy access to PWS stations around mine, and then ......they up and moved house to WeatherUnderground!  Attempting to make web sites look “prettier” does not always go well as I have seen in many web sites.   

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2019, 09:02:44 PM »
This is sad because in the past I really liked Weather Underground.
Me too. I'm trying to be optimistic that they'll get it fixed but it's hard.

Looks and operates like the losing entry in a fifth grade coding competition.
LOL. That's good description. The temperature graphic is okay...I guess...sort of...maybe..., but the others, especially the rain one... seriously?

We probably need to start a thread solely for venting. I've been trying to only post issues and not whine too much in the official, "issues" thread but it's tough. I feel sorry for WunderTodd and wunderground PWS, I'm sure they're feeling besieged right now but I hope they don't stop providing updates. Yesterday was pretty good (update wise) today not so much.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2019, 09:42:34 PM »
What comes around goes around!  http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=10425.msg100184#msg100184
But the comments in the past were never like the insults of today, so sad.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline DWIGHT123

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2019, 11:44:01 PM »
I’m sorry Paul I have had a terrible experience since coming back to Wunderground with a updated station I message support and 10 days later after multiple email attempts they have yet to respond to me that’s the issue I have,sure fix it but stop going on 3rd party weather forums and downplaying your customers,email customers that have been customers for a long time no excuse for bad customer service🙃

anything