Author Topic: WS-1400 + Meteobridge + WU data swings and weirdness  (Read 1555 times)

Offline RuralBrewer

WS-1400 + Meteobridge + WU data swings and weirdness
« on: October 25, 2017, 04:25:38 PM »
I've been running my WS-1400/ObserverIP setup for about 3 years now with only the occasional-but-too-often-for-my-liking ObserverIP (FW 4.3.1) reboot required since it's so finicky. Reporting to WU has been pretty stable aside from my drops and I recently added reporting to the Ambient Weather service.

A couple days ago, I added a Meteobridge to the mix to handle the uploading of data (instead of the ObserverIP) and to give me some more flexibility and options. Everything seemed to be running fine until today. I'm in Maine and we're having some windy, rainy, humid weather which is pretty typical for Nor'easters at this time of year. I noticed that WU dropped my station altogether and the reason is obvious when you look at the charts for today:

However, the data is correct for highs and lows both at the Meteobridge and Ambient Weather. I contacted WU about it and am waiting to hear back but I can't figure out why it would be happening. Has anyone else experienced this before?

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
Re: WS-1400 + Meteobridge + WU data swings and weirdness
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 04:37:36 PM »
Yes, I have and disabled sending to WU via the Meteobridge.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 06:29:06 PM »
Actually, looking at your graphs again and finding mine (August 27th), it appears you have a different problem.
I have no idea why yours look like that. Especially the wind speed and gust should normally have a line at 0.
Have you tried restarting the OIP and Meteobridge? Try clearing all historical data from the Meteobridge on the Live Data tab.
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline RuralBrewer

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 06:56:33 PM »
Actually, looking at your graphs again and finding mine (August 27th), it appears you have a different problem.
I have no idea why yours look like that. Especially the wind speed and gust should normally have a line at 0.
Have you tried restarting the OIP and Meteobridge? Try clearing all historical data from the Meteobridge on the Live Data tab.

Yeah, that's a bizarre line. I cleared/rebooted both a little while ago, maybe this was an anomaly but we'll see how it goes. I never saw this kind of "failure mode" with the OIP so it has to be a Meteobridge issue.

Offline dolfs

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 04:20:51 AM »
There are several strange things about your data:
  • Many of the strange peaks/dips in the various sensors seem to come just after the hour, and all of them look like the come right at the same minutes after the hour. That regularity is very suspect to begin with.
  • When peaks/dips happen they seem to happen to all sensors (although it is impossible to tell for wind direction. This speaks to a systemic failure of some kind along the path from sensors, through OIP, through MB. Question is what it is?
  • All data seems to by subject to a slowly varying offset in sinusoidal form
Is your data at ambientweather.net showing the same behavior(s)? If yes, it removes MB from the equation, but only if you are uploading to ambientweather.net directly from the OIP (not if you are doing it from the OIP). If not, and it looks normal there the problem would be with either your MB, or wunderground (which would not be unheard of). What is your WU station ID?

If you are uploading to AW.net through the MB as well, can you change that and do that directly from the OIP? That will make it easier to isolate where the problem is.
--dolf

Ambient WS-1400-IP + MeteoBridge

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 05:46:53 AM »

All data seems to by subject to a slowly varying offset in sinusoidal form

Agree, have never seen that before.

Regards

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 06:16:05 AM by droiddk »

Offline dolfs

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 05:58:18 AM »
Also realized that your temp data does not even seem remotely right in that one would expect the highest temperatures to be between noon and 3 or 4PM, but your graph is showing the lowest temperatures there and the highest in the middle of the night.

The graph for UV index also does not make sense in that it shows a somewhat continuously varying graph, but the OIP only puts out integer values as far as I know. Show the graph should show more of a step-ladder effect.

Your solar data also seems quite high for the time of year, but perhaps you are in a location where these high values are possible?

Overall it looks to me that your graphs basically do not represent realistic sensor data at all
--dolf

Ambient WS-1400-IP + MeteoBridge

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 07:03:27 AM »
Yeah the data doesn't seem to be remotely correct. The slope of the wind direction is eerily similar to the slope of the pressure graph. There is no way a wind direction graph would ever be that consistent from minute to minute over a day. Would be interested into how this all happened though!

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 08:36:48 AM »
Those graphs reminds me of oscilloscope signals when you don't have a good reference ground.  :-)
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline RuralBrewer

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 11:07:21 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. While working on something unrelated, I discovered that weewx was feeding simulated data to my WU account thanks to a bad config file.  :oops:

Hopefully, this can help someone down the line if they find themselves in a similar situation!

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 11:09:06 AM »
I discovered that weewx was feeding simulated data to my WU account thanks to a bad config file.  :oops:

:lol: :lol:

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 11:26:58 AM »
Good job in finding it  =D> Nothing like a curve ball problem to  ](*,)
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline RuralBrewer

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 11:36:46 AM »
Good job in finding it  =D> Nothing like a curve ball problem to  ](*,)

No kidding. This gear is finicky enough as it is!  :cool: