Author Topic: Davis VP2 - Network USB  (Read 589 times)

Offline darkpenguin

• HoosierWeather
Davis VP2 - Network USB
« on: September 11, 2017, 07:30:34 PM »
I want to offer up my recent experience with various network USB solutions.  If someone else can benefit from this, then I've done my part.

I use WeatherLink to manage data from my VP2 station.  Due to the location of my console, I must use a network USB device in order to connect the console to the server.  Up until May, WeatherLink was humming right along on my Windows 2008 server and a Belkin Network USB F5L009.  That is.....until I decided to upgrade.

To keep the story short, I upgraded the server to Server 2016 and had to purchase a new Network USB device that was compatible with Server 2016/Windows 10.  After some research, I settled on the SIIG USB Over IP device.  This seemed to work for a while, but I began to experience problems where the USB device would disconnect and required manual intervention to reattach.  This began happening with more frequency and became nearly a daily event.

After some research, I purchased another USB server device, this time a Silex DS-510.  I've been running this device for almost three months now and have yet to experience a single disconnect.  So far, I am extremely pleased with this device.
 The Silex device runs about $100 and can be bought on Amazon (of course).

I hope this helps someone out.
Twitter:               @HoosierWeather
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierweather

anything