Author Topic: Which comes First?  (Read 13456 times)

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Which comes First?
« on: March 22, 2017, 04:39:45 PM »
Question: Which component should Davis™ bring to market first...second...third...etc.?

• Color console?
• WiFi console to computer connection?
• Envoy & Console merger?
• Improved WeatherLink™ software?
• Improved ISS solar panel(s)?
• Improved sensor "signal" scale/offset calibration process?
• A "general-purpose" (0-5Vdc?) input device for DIY sensors?
• Stand-alone/battery-powered LCD 'consolette' remote display?
• Internal WWVB "atomic clock" time keeper? (newly added)
• Thermistor low-temp sensor(s) for extreme low-temp readings? (newly added)

"Enquiring minds want to know...the rest of us are just nosey!"

Maybe a little NUDGING for Davis management?

« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 12:36:23 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Which comes First?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 04:47:08 PM »
Here is my opinion:

Davis should concentrate on what they are good at - sensors - i.e. hardware. Make it compatible with some API and let the user to just send data to some online services or local network and use whatever "console" they want (eg. some cheap color tablet etc.). The important thing is that it should be open api and not only limited to wl.com

See also this: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=29654.0

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 05:01:11 PM »
Question: Which component should Davis™ bring to market first...second...third...etc.?

I guess this has to be 'just for fun', since whatever appears this year/next year/whenever will have been decided 3-5 years in advance.

PS Earles, next version of Prowlar not too far away - programmer is moving house currently ](*,), but hopefully will be getting ready to deliver v0.2 in a week or two.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 05:10:41 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 05:44:00 PM »
Just FYI... people discussed VP3 on this forum 8 yrs ago :D And Davis asked about wish features on their FB page I think in 2011

Offline NHWF5510

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 06:53:21 PM »
I don't even have my VP2 yet but already i have two major things that i wish would be addressed.

1. I think a built in data logger/wireless internet connection should be standard. With all the smartphones and weather websites why not just include it rather than force people to shell out more cash after that fact.

2. The display while certainly functional is very dated by today's standards. Considering you can get full color tablets for a hundred bucks these days their is no reason at all while they should be working with 80's era LCD displays.

They could also continue to offer the VP2 in it's current configuration but simply offer an updated console as an option that would include a modern touch screen full color display with built in internet and data logging. But i imagine that would be prohibitively expensive.

Lastly, just as suggestions to toss out there....

1. Ultrasonic HEATED Anemometer upgrade to market to people who live in areas who get heavy icing conditions.
2. Water level gauging station. Either float type or ultrasonic. It would be a nice feature for people who live near water. And it's not expensive technology.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 06:55:02 PM »
What do you mean by "Envoy & Console merger"?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 06:59:32 PM »
I would like one simple request, altimeter ability for VP2 just like the Vue. If they need more space/memory get rid of the Sea level pressure conversion with multiple variables. From my observations at altitude and extremely cold weather its all over the place from my airport just 1.3 miles away. We don't all live at sea level with sunny 80° days. Altimeter is good enough and what most use.
Randy

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 07:12:36 PM »
What would such a merger mean to YOU?

To me any merger (as I read it) might be crap, as far as I am concerned the console really doesn't serve me much of a purpose, so I'm quite happy to drop the console, reduce the cost and make the Envoy a little more usable, better mountability, better power connection, multiple power connections and re-organize the logger connectivity

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 07:47:46 PM »
I would like one simple request, altimeter ability for VP2 just like the Vue.
I whined about this 2+ years ago with no joy, so Davis got what they wanted, me buying a Vue. That said, I have zero doubt the next gen of whatever Davis puts out will.

Offline Billyram

• The Rapids
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 07:51:11 PM »
Improved Weatherlink software.
Billy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 07:54:36 PM »
Improved Weatherlink software.
Billy
Really ambiguous. How?

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 07:57:35 PM »
They make a pretty good product as it is.  Sure there could be improvements but what stands out to me is Weatherlink.
That software needs to be updated.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 08:49:39 PM »
The WeatherLink software is probably best refined in conjunction with web page type configuration utility, which would remove a lot of needless buttons from the console and either allow for making the screen bigger (less preferable option) or reducing the overall size. Reducing the overall size of the console (even with same screen size) would improve things. 

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 08:57:18 PM »
An unit that has all VP2 features that can go below minus 40.   There are 22 states and hell of whole lot of Canada that sees this type of Temperatures. Seem  if rain wise  can do it so can Davis. No the weather monitor  doesn't come close to the features that VP2 has.

John

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 09:27:54 PM »
John the problem is the sensor maker Sensirion with Temp operating range   -40 to +125°C (-40 to +257°F). Maybe they need to twist some arms or at least have an alternative cold weather sensor.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 09:51:57 PM »
the problem is the sensor maker Sensirion with Temp operating range   -40 to +125°C (-40 to +257°F).
I've always wondered why Sensirion chose this range, (or was it design happenstance), and why did Davis choose to use it for weather monitoring. The SHT3X is obviously one of the best sensors available but does leave a small percentage rightfully wanting more. Chop a hundred degrees of the top and add it to the bottom. -140 to +157F? That outta cover everyone.

Offline DA270

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 10:06:46 PM »
A color console, however one big advantage to the current LCD design is its ability to operate on three readily available C batteries for months. A touch screen would not be a high priority as there are pros and cons to that approach. I personally would prefer a navigation button or two and a screen that's free of finger prints and smudges. Built in connectivity and data logging memory is very low in cost these days, so I would say include it in the "Pro" line up. The layout of the screen should display current data in large font viewable from 20+ feet day and night and daily highs, lows, trends, etc. should be shown on the same screen in smaller fonts and icons. A design of this type would allow for the purchase of different theme packs or user configurable premium packs, so the layout possibilities are limitless.

Offline SpartanWX

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 11:25:17 PM »
I can live without all of those things.

All I want is a console that allows me to leave the light on without throwing a huge offset into the inside temperature reading. 

Period.  End of discussion.

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 11:45:30 PM »
I like the idea of a "consolette." Something that's cheaper than a Vue console and convenient for a "quick glance" of the current conditions as, say, interesting weather is occurring (thunderstorm passing, etc.).

The "envoy and console" merger would be nice as well. My idea of this would be to eliminate the need for a separate logger (built into the console) with more storage capacity. Another improvement needs to be the whole indoor temp/hum bias when using the backlight all the time. I think a wireless option for console-to-computer connection is a good idea, but it would likely come with many issues (connectivity issues, connection dropping out periodically, etc.). If they went this route, I would at least like to see the ability to still connect the console via USB/serial cable as well (much more stable/reliable connection when left unattended for long periods of time).

The whole color console thing is something I don't really understand the obsession with. It just seems pointless to me. If you want to look at pretty graphs and colorful images, data, etc. from your station, look at it on your computer/phone/tablet/website! Adding color (and even touchscreen capability) to the console will take away from other possible improvements from the console hardware/software itself IMO, unless it comes at a higher cost which I'm sure many people wouldn't want. I like the simplistic design and look of the console and it's easy to read and navigate as is. This is a professional grade weather station that isn't necessarily designed to look pretty and colorful sitting on the counter or hanging on the wall. But again, that's just my opinion.

It would be nice to have an improved WeatherLink software. Something with capabilities like Cumulus, Weather Display, etc. where there is a console-like main page with many graphing, logging, website capabilities.
-Alex

Davis 6153 VP2 with 24-hour FARS/
Davis 6250 Vantage Vue
WU: KNJMOUNT68/KSCGREER81
CWOP: FW5135/EW6390
www.uah-mcthornmoracres-weather.com

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 11:55:42 PM »
Low low power is the number one highest priority which tends to be a control factor in many of the wishes, re comms, screens etc     
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 12:20:00 AM by Mattk »

Offline Red-Dave

• Weather Geek
  • Contributor
    • AfftonWeather.com
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 12:05:12 AM »
These were a great idea. I'll be sad when I finally have to move on from this system. Still going strong though.

Offline SpartanWX

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2017, 12:42:00 AM »
Low low power is the number one highest priority which tends to be a control factor in many of the wishes, re comms, screens etc   

Exactly. Keep your circus colored screens in your pockets.

I'm dead serious here... give me an e-ink screen like the kindle paperwhite with an automatic backlight and I'll pay a kings ransom for it.

Now there's a hack I would like to pull off.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2017, 04:32:05 AM »

I'm not sure what this means either. An Envoy is a console without a display or buttons but which still needs a logger;how do you merge that with a console?

Maybe 'merge console and logger' is what's meant, but would raise two problems:

1. All other things being equal, the console and station price would rise by around the logger price. Otherwise you're asking Davis to take a significant hit on their margin, which wouldn't make much commercial sense for them. You're also asking any users who don't want/need a logger to pay for one anyway.

2. The flexibility of being able to fit loggers with different interfaces (serial/USB/IP etc) would be lost.

(Not suggesting for a second that it couldn't be done - obviously it could eg as in Connect (in a sense) - but more that there would be consequences to pricing, flexibility etc.)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 05:55:12 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Billyram

• The Rapids
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2017, 06:56:10 PM »

All I want is a console that allows me to leave the light on without throwing a huge offset into the inside temperature reading. 

You can calibrate the inside temp and humidity to be correct with the back light on.
Billy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2017, 07:24:42 PM »

You can calibrate the inside temp and humidity to be correct with the back light on.
Billy
He knows. He doesn't like it. Certainly not my top priority, but I agree, as many others do.