Author Topic: Replacing Davis VP2 Running VWS after vandalism  (Read 1846 times)

Offline WxNut

• www.weathervaneweather.com
    • Weathervane Weather
Replacing Davis VP2 Running VWS after vandalism
« on: March 18, 2017, 10:25:18 PM »
My original wired VP2 which is 12 years old was recently heavily damaged by vandals.  The morons destroyed the rain bucket, radiation shield and the solar panel.  They probably would have killed the anemometer had I not remotely mounted it out of reach.     Surprisingly the system still works somewhat, but won't for long once the rain works its way into the cracks in the ISS.   Over the last several years I have had some issues with the console light and missing pixels in the display and a few cobbled repairs to the anemometer so I decided to go ahead and purchase the VP2 wireless.   I plan on just moving my serial data logger to the new console. 

My question is, other than moving the data logger to the new console is there anything I need to do in the VWS software?  I thinking that I should not have to do anything other than make the connection but want to be sure before I proceed.

I'd appreciate any advice! 

Offline WxNut

• Weathervane Weather
Re: Replacing Davis VP2 Running VWS after vandalism
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 08:18:24 PM »
I guess I found my answer.  I plugged my old serial data logger into the new VP2 and I get the message "Incompat LGR".  A little research on this subject finds that Davis changed the Serial Data Logger at some point.   I guess I will have to just buy an updated logger.

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 08:24:58 PM »
Before purchasing a new logger, contact Davis and see if they won't swap out the new logger for your old one. They did that for me when I replaced my unit a couple of years ago.

Offline WxNut

• Weathervane Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 05:55:31 PM »
I appreciate you letting me know!   I did contact Davis and while they would not make and even swap they did offer to swap it out for $50 which is a lot better than paying the full retail $165.  Could have gotten for around $125 from other sites so at least you saved me $75.

Thank for the comment!  Much appreciated!

anything