Author Topic: Problems with Weather Station WS9130  (Read 1876 times)

Offline boblalux

Problems with Weather Station WS9130
« on: March 18, 2017, 06:11:30 PM »
After problems with my weather station WS9130 (electronic “squirk” every 20-30 minutes, resulting in the instrument showing a value for 19°C for the minimum, even when it froze!!! All other values were OK),  I  bought a YD8211A.  New problem.....
When the transmitter is about 20 feet away from the base station, after 30 minutes or so the OUTDOOR values on the base station  start blinking, and the value is no longer updated, until I re-boot both gadgets. The value shown on the transmitter is correct, but that does not show on the base station and the value shown is that of the pre-blinking value. This doesn't happen at about 10 feet distance. 
As I presume that the signal received by the base station is too weak at 20feet distance (!!?!!?), can I somehow strengthen the signal?  Short antenna attached?  The trasmitter-receiver signal is 433MHz.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
Re: Problems with Weather Station WS9130
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 01:59:13 AM »
Have you tried it at 868 megacycles. You might be  getting interfences at 433 which is  use in the USA

Offline boblalux

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 03:43:23 AM »
How do I change the signal frequency to 868MHz?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 04:45:54 AM »
I think John is referring to another weather station altogether that doesn't use the same frequency that you're currently having problems with (433mhz?) to see if it's an interference issue.. You cannot change the frequency with the one you have now.

Offline boblalux

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 05:05:20 PM »
I ask again ....
As I presume that the signal received by the base station is too weak at 20feet distance (!!?!!?), can I somehow strengthen the signal?  Short antenna/wire  attached somehow to the transmitter

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 07:05:37 PM »
You could try replacing* the internal antenna in the outdoor sensor or the console (or both). I see that the ws9130 is spec'd at 868mhz in Europe and 433mhz for the U.S. model. So dependent on which one you have will determine what length wire you will need for a replacement antenna. (868mhz=82mm, 433mhz=165mm for 1/4 wave). http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennaevcalc.html

* I mentioned replacing, not add on to the existing antenna. Big difference.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 07:09:05 PM by DanS »

Offline boblalux

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 04:50:01 AM »
Sorry, I did not make myself clear:  the problem lies with my YD8211A, photo of which was attached.  Perhaps the same applies?

((I bought the YD8211A after experiencing the 'electronic squirk' every 20-30 minutes with the WS9130))

Offline boblalux

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 04:56:02 AM »
............  I will remove the covers of both the outside transmitter, and the base station receiver and post the images of both.  Perhaps then you could be kind enough to tell me where to attach the 16.5cm vertical antenna?

Offline boblalux

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 05:37:26 AM »
Just added the 2 photos of the units with their covers removed.  The grey folded wire in the base - I presume that is the antenna.  It is about 16-17cm long.  What to do, please?

Offline boblalux

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 07:52:10 AM »
On the inside of the cover of the base, I have ringed an area in green with a chaos of very fine copper wire.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 04:36:48 PM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

On your base/receiver I believe the antenna is the zig/zag circuit trace along the top of your photo. The coiled copper wire coil at the bottom is most likely for the radio frequency clock reception. It appears you may gain more improvement with an outside sensor antenna modification. I can't confirm from your photos but if that coiled wire (in the outdoor sensor unit)  is the antenna it would probably do better extended. If it is the antenna then you could try unsoldering it without altering it and solder in it's place a piece of 165 mm wire.

oh, and watch out with the outside sensor, the little white sensor chip with the black interlocking circuit traces on it (next to the copper coil) has a light film substance coating. This measures humidity and if you displace that film coating your humidity readings get messed up.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:46:25 PM by DanS »

Offline boblalux

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 05:19:24 PM »
Many thanks DanS,
Will try temporarily replacing the horizontal-lying coil with a 16.5mm wire, and see what happens.  Will report back.
Bob

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 07:50:43 PM »
According to the manual  for the YS you have to moved an solder wired to change the frequency.  not sure if you really took the time to read all of the manual  but only did and quick start.

Offline boblalux

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 07:05:46 AM »
According to the manual  for the YS you have to moved an solder wired to change the frequency.  not sure if you really took the time to read all of the manual  but only did and quick start.

Great, I could not find the manual for the YD8211A_1, the only one I found was with all the usual safety drivvle (don't eat the batteries etc etc).  Can you tell me where to find this manual?
Thanks
Bob
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 10:40:25 AM by boblalux »

Offline boblalux

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 09:23:50 AM »
DanS

It seems to have worked!
The coil you mentioned in the outside transmitter was only soldered at one end, thus I presumed it must definitely be the antenna, so I jumped in at the deep end!  I didn't replace it with a 16-17cm wire, but just pulled it out straight.  It measured over 20cm (should I cut it back to 16.5cm?). I then cut a slit in the case to exit the antenna and screwed back on the case.

As the antenna was anything but rigid, I slipped  a stiffish tube over it, which I then taped to the side of the unit.
The whole I returned to my weather station box (cheap version!) made up of 10 flowerpot saucers painted white (the white paint must be renewed soon!!!).  All the 10 saucers ar fitted vertically over each other, with spacers between.
It's now been running for a number of hours, and the outside values (T and RH) still show no flashing of last values measured. The radio connection is still being upheld.
Many thanks again.
Bob
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 09:33:21 AM by boblalux »

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 02:28:23 PM »
it on Pg 17  in the spec of the manual that came from the place you bought the unit from which I goggled up. Now  not to be an smart ass maybe  you might try to search out things better. Seem now day people want other to  do everything for them.  Just what would you do if you didn't have this access like you do now. You  would have to figure it out on your own like we use to do before there was an internet. yeah I know I am an grouch and not nice at alol but being old school I learned an lot  about  figuring stuff out with no help.

Now have an good day.

Offline boblalux

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 02:56:19 PM »
it on Pg 17  in the spec of the manual that came from the place you bought the unit from which I goggled up. Now  not to be an smart ass maybe  you might try to search out things better. Seem now day people want other to  do everything for them.  Just what would you do if you didn't have this access like you do now. You  would have to figure it out on your own like we use to do before there was an internet. yeah I know I am an grouch and not nice at alol but being old school I learned an lot  about  figuring stuff out with no help.

Now have an good day.
Thanks for your charming mail....

1.  You didn't take the time to read my mail above  "According to the manual  for the YS ";  I don't have an YS, and in fact it took me a long time  to realise that the model I purchased was a YD78211A; there was only a leaflet with it , and certainly not a manual of 17 pages or more.

2.  You have no idea where I bought this model "on Pg 17  in the spec of the manual that came from the place you bought the unit",  and if the manual you have found is really that for the YD78211 then it would be quite helpful if you told me where you found it.  I don't think it has anytghing to do with the station I purchased.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 05:38:45 PM »
I Google what you had enter in you post. You know copy and paste. So if it was wrong I guess you posted the wrong model then. But your post says YS 8211_A so with that I'll take leave of this post as apparently you don't need my help.

Offline boblalux

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 05:49:07 PM »
I Google what you had enter in you post. You know copy and paste. So if it was wrong I guess you posted the wrong model then. But your post says YS 8211_A so with that I'll take leave of this post as apparently you don't need my help.

I think it is a good idea you leave this post  -  I NEVER mentioned YS and it is a fantasy with you.  Goodbye and I suggest you take your bad manners and obvious frustrations with something/-one somewhere else!

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 06:05:42 PM »
" It measured over 20cm (should I cut it back to 16.5cm?) "

I'd leave it at the original length if it's working. If you do experience drop outs then measure what you have (to go back to if you need to) then you could try 165mm.

Offline boblalux

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 01:43:02 PM »
" It measured over 20cm (should I cut it back to 16.5cm?) "

I'd leave it at the original length if it's working. If you do experience drop outs then measure what you have (to go back to if you need to) then you could try 165mm.

Will do.  Still not blinking so the problem has been resolved, thanks to you (despite interspersed idiotic comments from other people).
Greetings from the Alsace
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 01:45:48 PM by boblalux »