Author Topic: Current and 5 day icons  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Druid12

Current and 5 day icons
« on: March 14, 2017, 05:09:49 AM »
hi can some advise me or direct me to the thread of changing the icons to show the weather and not the icons that are showing in the five day forecast which are question marks and this is the same icon in the current condition. or can someone help in the following
how to show the icons. I have found the following in in the index and international pages via notepad that the above written as the following http://icons-pe.wxung.com/i/c/a/cloudy.gif and I believe it should read http://icons.wunderground.com/graphics/conds/cloudy.GIF but the program reverts back to the old how can I stop this and allow the 5 day forecast and current condition update without change the icon locations

thank you in advance Keith ](*,)

Offline BrianLehan

• Grace C Lehan Memorial Weather Station
Re: Current and 5 day icons
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 12:58:46 PM »
Keith with the recent abandonment of VWS by Weatherunderground you have to disable the automatic update if you wish to manually update your 5 day forecast. I have left mine on the template but added a note that weatherunderground has stopped updating it and I added the seven day forecast graphics from weatherforyou.com for my location.

I have also replaced the other no longer WU sourced items in the template my webpage uses. I replaced the warnings advisories with weatherfor you.com products, and the local radar with another working WU link, and the visible satellite view using a Noaa product fro the east coast. So far I am happy with the changes and still looking for a solution for the almanac highs and lows and the mesonet neighborhood stations the template has.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Sarasota-Weather Template
Gr3 Radar

Offline Druid12

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 06:42:00 PM »
hello Brian thanks for the information its a shame that this is so. having looked at the weatherforyou.com I have found that Boscombe down is near me and was wondering how to remove the five day forecast icons and replace them with the seven day and disable the automatic update, do I go to the international page or the index page to change this and then make sure that update then come from this site thanks Keith

Offline BrianLehan

• Grace C Lehan Memorial Weather Station
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 10:28:26 AM »
The template you selected when setting up VWS is the template you will have to edit. If you edit the created page from the template, those changes you have made on your index.html page will be wiped out the next time the VWS copies the template to the server.  ](*,)

I suggest you make a new copy of the template and work with that so in case you need to reference the original locations or how something was displayed you have an unaltered version to go back to. The templates have a folder on your VWS machine and all end in .htx Typically c:\vws\templates

So in any event you can take whatever template you like, copy it and then make the edits to use what seven or five day forecast, icons & text, icons only, text only, or feeds that you want from weather for you. Any and all options all up to you as you code the page. The hard part is finding the content you want to use but once you have it you can find and replace the original VMS supplied data.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 10:30:46 AM by BrianLehan »
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Sarasota-Weather Template
Gr3 Radar