Author Topic: Anemometer placement. "Accuracy" vs practicality.  (Read 5062 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Anemometer placement. "Accuracy" vs practicality.
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2017, 09:24:11 AM »
Another option for placement which could be cheaper than a 50' crank-up tower is placing anemometer somewhere else and using long range transmitters with Davis stations. If you have a friend, family member with good location this is always possibility. Even using the 30' telepole I don't have enough height to get above old growth trees at my home. 
Randy

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2017, 10:12:17 AM »
Another option for placement which could be cheaper than a 50' crank-up tower is placing anemometer somewhere else and using long range transmitters with Davis stations. If you have a friend, family member with good location this is always possibility.

Isn't the question - "what does accuracy mean?"

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2017, 10:26:46 AM »

The question is how far do you want to go for accuracy and is it worth the extra effort.
Randy

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2017, 11:20:32 AM »
You mentioned that you live on a hill. So, any location you choose will be a compromise. I'd pick the easiest one from a maintenance perspective and go with that. The adjustable pole may be your best bet. Your readings are going to be relative anyways so don't worry about the "accuracy" so much.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2017, 02:19:15 PM »

The question is how far do you want to go for accuracy and is it worth the extra effort.

Without a definition of accuracy, those two questions are not answerable.

An anemometer (in working condition) will properly measure the wind direction and velocity anywhere it is located. 

You might define accuracy as (for a few examples):
1.  measurement at 30 ft. above the ground in my back yard.
1a. measurement at 30 ft. above the ground in my back yard unobstructed by house and trees
         (impossible without removing house and trees)
2.  measurement at 30 ft. above the ground in my cousin's pasture 1/2 mile away and 300 ft. higher elevation.
3.  measurement 6 ft. above my roof (which would be 26 ft. above the ground level).
4.  measurement 20 ft. above my roof (which would be 15 ft. above surrounding trees)
5.  measurement 4 ft. above ground level on my patio, where we occasionally grill and picnic.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2017, 02:30:41 PM »

Without a definition of accuracy, those two questions are not answerable.

An anemometer (in working condition) will properly measure the wind direction and velocity anywhere it is located. 

You might define accuracy as (for a few examples):
1.  measurement at 30 ft. above the ground in my back yard.
1a. measurement at 30 ft. above the ground in my back yard unobstructed by house and trees
         (impossible without removing house and trees)
2.  measurement at 30 ft. above the ground in my cousin's pasture 1/2 mile away and 300 ft. higher elevation.
3.  measurement 6 ft. above my roof (which would be 26 ft. above the ground level).
4.  measurement 20 ft. above my roof (which would be 15 ft. above surrounding trees)
5.  measurement 4 ft. above ground level on my patio, where we occasionally grill and picnic.

I'm clueless what you're trying to say. If you want to play games do it without me.
I'm done with the thread.
Randy

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2017, 04:18:48 PM »
I think Dale's comment was along the same lines as mine. It really doesn't matter where you place the anemometer as it will simply detect the wind speed/direction at whatever ever location it is placed. I don't think anyone can answer the question of what is accuracy. In the case of finding the perfect location for an anemometer, it is always going to be dependent on intangible factors, especially when you consider that it will located on a hill with both trees and buildings in the area.

My point is to just pick a location and then use that as a reference point for all future readings.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2017, 05:29:42 PM »
Exactly!

One dictionary defines accuracy as "the degree to which the result of a measurement, calculation, or specification conforms to the correct value or a standard."

Now, the "correct value or standard" for wind measurement at the stated location of my weather station would be what would be measured at a 10-meter height above level, grass-covered terrain, unobstructed and unaffected by any nearby objects like a house, roof, trees, etc. etc.

That's not likely to happen for most of us.  In my case, I live on a lot with lots of slope, with uphill neighbors and lots of trees.  Here are some pictures:  http://www.thecoys.net/lsview/1420_Valley_Forge_Dr.html

So, we do what's most practical under our own circumstances - the best we can do - and then, for future readings, that's where our wind measurements were made, over time.

Footnote:
And
"placing anemometer somewhere else and using long range transmitters with Davis stations. If you have a friend, family member with good location this is always possibility"
certainly isn't an accurate way to measure wind at the location of the rest of the weather station.