Author Topic: Mesonet  (Read 7887 times)

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: Mesonet
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2017, 06:32:33 PM »
.... I have wondered many times if there's a newer, fresher game in town. VWS has grown quite stale IMHO.
...if there is something else out there, sure would like to know what its it.
You don't have to use the VWS website generator..
Several other ways... many of us use a website suite of scripts from SaratogaWx, (https://saratoga-weather.org/scripts.php) or Jachym's scripts: http://www.meteotemplate.com/web/index.php
See this board: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=87.0
Additionaly there are other local platforms other than VWS: Weather Dsplay, Cumulus, etc.. but since you've already got VWS running, you can employ scripts similar to Ken's and Jachym's, simply uploading VWS data to them, and they'll replace the VWS pages you currently use....
You can see how that can work by clicking many of the signature banners throughout WcForum for the various types folks use.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 06:36:33 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2017, 07:09:18 PM »
I use both VWS and Weather-Display and have for about 8 years. There are good and bad things about both pieces of software, but Brian is very responsive (Weather-Display) in helping with issues or fixes.

Right now me "Normal" Highs and lows are not working through VWS.

Offline orion98665

• bobsvp2wd.net
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2017, 07:27:06 PM »
I use both VWS and Weather-Display and have for about 8 years. There are good and bad things about both pieces of software, but Brian is very responsive (Weather-Display) in helping with issues or fixes.

Right now me "Normal" Highs and lows are not working through VWS.

Ditto!! Brian does an excellent job of supporting WD with updates, and free add ons to his software. Just wish it wasn't so glitchy!! #-o
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with daytime aspirated  radiation shield. Software: VWS version 15.0.

Offline orion98665

• bobsvp2wd.net
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2017, 07:36:00 PM »
Just joining this discussion...   I'm having the same problem of my meso data is gone.  http://www.spatters.com/weather/

I see references in other posts in this thread about gathering data directly from other sites rather than from WU via VWS, but I'm clueless on how to do all that. Anyone have docs or tips on what a body is to do in order to populate the missing data on his site now that WU and VWS don't want to play nice any more?   ](*,) 

What other apps are there besides VWS that can be used to generate a weather site? I've been using VWS for over 10 years with the same general look and feel. I have wondered many times if there's a newer, fresher game in town. VWS has grown quite stale IMHO.

Spatters, I see your web site is as broken as mine!! On positive side note , I guess I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. http://www.bobsvp2wd.net :roll:
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with daytime aspirated  radiation shield. Software: VWS version 15.0.

Offline foxtrot722

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2017, 01:35:48 PM »
Long journey, small steps, getting it fixed one step at a time

www.smoaksweather.com

Offline Jester

• Pony Up!
  • Senior Contributor
  • US NAVY Retired
    • Castleton Weather, Virginia Beach, VA.
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2017, 09:21:39 AM »
Jester, looks like your map links on your web site is working. All of mine are dead! Is the problem with WU or VWS?    http://www.bobsvp2wd.net

All my links are down today... http://www.castletonweather.net/  At least Rapid Fire is working...
MADIS D4557
CWOP DW4557
Wunderground KVAVIRGI57
CoCoRaHS VA-VBC-13
Davis VP2+ 6163
WiFi LoggerV2

Offline ohlone

• Weston Road Weather
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2017, 11:19:08 AM »
Wow same here,  amazed Rapid Fire now works,  Ill reactivate that on my site.  Sad to see that Wunderground support for legacy VWS owners is so flaky.  I have HW problems (bad Humidity sensor - getting replaced) and ongoing SW problems with WU.  Its a struggle to continue providing a Weather station service..

Offline CW7221

• Hokendauqua Weather
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2017, 11:06:40 AM »
I'm still not getting mesonet data, so I've halted sending data to WU and posted this status on my WU station page:

"This station has stopped providing data to WU pending restoration of services consumed by stations using Ambient Weather's Virtual Weather Station. Data will be restored once services resumed. Station continues to post data to CWOP and other weather providers. See station website for links."

I'll continue feeding CWOP and others... if this means permanently shutting off my WU feed after 10 years, it will be unfortunate....

I hate the idea of having to research and pay for a new software, or have to retool my website templates to draw in data from other services I supply, but I guess I have to find the time...  I liked that I had things setup, configured the way I liked them, humming along for years...

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2017, 03:57:38 PM »
I'll continue feeding CWOP and others... if this means permanently shutting off my WU feed after 10 years, it will be unfortunate....
WU will then scrape your data that CWOP Forwards to MESONET, display it on their map... you just won't have a WunderWeenie webpage or credit.

Offline BrianLehan

• Grace C Lehan Memorial Weather Station
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2017, 03:09:15 PM »
Spatters - sorry so late to the party here on this post. You would need to edit your VWS index page template file (ends in HTX in the templates folder of c:\VWS.) and replace the dead Weather Underground links for current radar, current satellite and warnings. I also found a pretty good five day forecast graphic. I'll try to type a search and replace document for these elements.

I'm also experimenting with the Weather Underground API to pull data once a day at midnight and then integrate that data into the VWS datafile so the VWS pages and graphics generated by the software reference this imported data. This seems to be the almanac highs and lows average for date, historical highs and lows for date by year. The Moon phase and rise and set information, and maybe even the missing neighborhood weather station Mesonet data? If that works out well I'll post that process as well. Anyone can get a WU API license for free and the data needed only needs to be run once a day right after midnight.

I just migrated my station to a new webserver as it was, so should have some time to move forward on this side of the programming soon.

Brian

Just joining this discussion...   I'm having the same problem of my meso data is gone.  http://www.spatters.com/weather/

I see references in other posts in this thread about gathering data directly from other sites rather than from WU via VWS, but I'm clueless on how to do all that. Anyone have docs or tips on what a body is to do in order to populate the missing data on his site now that WU and VWS don't want to play nice any more?   ](*,) 

What other apps are there besides VWS that can be used to generate a weather site? I've been using VWS for over 10 years with the same general look and feel. I have wondered many times if there's a newer, fresher game in town. VWS has grown quite stale IMHO.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Sarasota-Weather Template
Gr3 Radar