Author Topic: Windows 10 Warning  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Windows 10 Warning
« on: January 08, 2017, 09:10:31 PM »
Windows 10 on my laptop is now telling me that Firefox will drain my battery too fast and I need to switch to Edge. I know I can turn off the alert but why should I have to ? I thought they learned their lesson after the browser wars of the 90's and the antitrust lawsuit. What next ??? If you have LibreOffice, Win10 will tell you that it is slowing down your computer and you need to buy and install MS Office ????

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Windows 10 Warning
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 09:54:07 PM »
High time for manufacturers to integrate a warning into bios that windows will slow down your pc and pour your money down the drain

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 10:08:38 PM »
WIN 10:

1) First it was FREE...

2) Then it became small monthly fee...

3) Then it became medium monthly fee...

4) Then it became big monthly fee...

5) Then it held YOUR data ran$som...

6) Finally, you realized it wasn't FREE after all.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 10:33:05 PM »
Uh....kinda confused.......my Win10 was free for my existing Win7 installation. I have not seen anything where I have to pay a fee. I can see where the free install is over and you will need to buy it. So if you missed the free installation time frame...well that's the way it goes. The end of the free install was well known and that a user would have to buy a copy after that. However, there is BS out there on the web that says after the free install, a person will have to start paying a fee to make it work. Total BS.

As for Windows slowing my computer down.....I have 2 identical PC's one running Win10 and one running Ubuntu 14 and the boot up times are nearly identical. However, there is a ton more freeware and software for the Win10 side than Ubuntu.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 05:21:31 AM »
The upgrade still is free...

Right from the beginning I said Im 100% sure MS will keep it free and only said they wont to force people to update to Win 10 ASAP. And I was technically speaking right. What they did is they said it will remain free for anyone who uses one of the services/features for visually impaired. This for example includes using the zoom tool. And here is another thing - MS first of all has no way of checking if you are in some way impaired and second, they dont even test if you use these tools at all. You simply go to their site and download a legal copy directly from their site.

It is quite obvious they did this intentionally. The goal was to keep their "promise" and make it paid for, but in the mean time leave the possibility for people to upgrade for free - simply because they want to get as many users as possible and the only goal was to get them asap, which is why they first came up with this idea it will not be free at all afterwards. Windows is not the primary source of income for MS anyway, they just need to get as many users as possible and then have other services tied to Win that make them money.

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 05:36:57 AM »
This has been known about for about 12 months now (the warning I mean). I only use Windows on one PC for WD and that is W7. If I could get WD working on Linux easily I would ditch Windows completely, everything else I run uses Linux or Android. The only thing which surprises me is that M$ are doing this despite the problems they had with the 'browser wars'. I very much doubt their claims can be verified under strictly independent tests under properly controlled conditions. Just one more nail in the M$ coffin as far as I'm concerned.

Linux has got to the point that I can now find a free opensource program for just about 99.9% of what I need to do. I am not averse to using commercial s/w on Linux where there is no available effective opensource free alternative. WD falls into that commercial category and when I can find the time I will make more effort to get it working under Linux. That would just leave WXSim which is a trickier proposition.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 06:00:35 AM »
i remember that when I was installing win 10 on my mom´s laptop first thing I did was opened Edge - only to download Chrome. i installed Chrome and then Chrome asked me if I want to make Chrome the default browser. I clicked yes and there goes an alert: "Are you sure you want to set Chrome as the default browser" - clicked yes. There goes another one: "Have you tried the new Edge browser with.... and now a full list of some features, which other browsers have had for years - and I again had to click - "No, I want Chrome" - the other option being "Yes, I want to give a try to this great browser" (meaning Edge).... Do they not realize they only piss off people with this approach?
I mean the major problem is that even though Edge is far more usable compared to IE, the major problem is that it offers absolutely no added value. They talk about all these new exciting features they added and are adding to it - but... even though they are indeed useful, they have been part of the other browsers for quite some time - meaning there is absolutely no reason for someone using Chrome, FF or other to migrate to Edge, where in the best case they will get the same thing...

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 11:16:46 PM »
Windows 10 on my laptop is now telling me that Firefox will drain my battery too fast and I need to switch to Edge. I know I can turn off the alert but why should I have to ? I thought they learned their lesson after the browser wars of the 90's and the antitrust lawsuit. What next ??? If you have LibreOffice, Win10 will tell you that it is slowing down your computer and you need to buy and install MS Office ????

MS Edge sux. It still operates much slower than Opera, et al, better than IE of course, but has some very annoying traits (like when you want to just put a URL in the blank address field and it bugs you). Bing search is my go-to though, almost never use the intrusive Goog.

Haven't seen anyone mention what is still the best browser: Opera. www.opera.com
I've used it since ~1997, still can't be beat, Opera pioneered many of modern day browser features we now take for granted, and are still innovating. Try it.
It just does so much, and it has a fantastic built-in adkiller; most all of the problematic, ad scripted, infested webpages load smoothly and easily ad-free when all the crap is blocked (and if you're on limited IP cap (4G-LTE wireless) like me, it saves a lot of useless data bytes)..

When I set up my computers I always install two Opera versions: my favorite- the now ancient V14 (still excellent, even runs on Win10), and of course the latest version (V42 IIRC). Until past V14, Opera also included an excellent email client embedded in it.
After V14 they began using a Chrome core, I've never used Chrome itself, the Google security and surveillance issues scared the bejabbers outta me.
Also use a number of other browsers like Firefox, Comodo, Comodo IceDragon, etc, but the main one is Opera.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 08:43:47 AM »
For what it's worth, I saw an episode of Security Now with Steve Gibson of GRC research. Firefox is causing a lot of drive activity with "continuous session save".

Here is the transcript from the episode with the "recipe" to reduce the activity. It is possible that excessive HDD activity could reduce your battery life, even though the topic for the show was SSD wear. See https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-580-notes.pdf

Here is the link within the article: https://www.servethehome.com/firefox-is-eating-your-ssd-here-is-how-to-fix-it/

I did this and noticed a performance improvement with Comodo Ice Dragon (FF derivative). I don't know if this is the reasoning behind the Win10 warning, other than MS wants you to use Edge and it is a FUD campaign....

Here is the executive summary:

Firefox (and deriviatives) reduction of HDD/SSD activity fix:

about:config

Search for browser.sessionstore.interval

Change (double-click) from 15000 to 150000 (add a zero)

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 10:53:31 AM »
I just got a warning on one of my Windows 10 machines this morning that 'Chrome isn't as secure as Edge'.  May be true, but Malwarebytes is on the job.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

anything