Author Topic: New Home Weather Station  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Kathy642

New Home Weather Station
« on: December 15, 2016, 03:25:38 PM »
I am looking to get a new basic home weather station. Our old one lasted a couple years and then stopped showing the outside temperature.  I just want a good one that is known to work well, be accurate and work in winter.
I'd prefer one that is wireless and I can just hang the little thing outside on the house, if possible.

I just want outside temp, inside temp, forecast, day, date and time.  If it has anything else, that would be a bonus, but not necessary. Color would be nice, but if not, that's fine.

I'm looking to spend less around $50 or less. Every weather station I look at has mixed reviews.  I know at that price it's a gamble how well it will work and how long it will last, but I'm trying to find which one people seem most happy with under $50.

I'd appreciate suggestions if you have one or owned one you really like.   Thanks!

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: New Home Weather Station
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 04:24:30 PM »
Google™ (in alphabetical order):

Acu-Rite

Ambient Weather

LaCrosse Technology

Oregon Scientific Instruments

...also, look for holiday "sales" at your local Target, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware stores.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 04:30:55 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 04:47:48 PM »
I am looking to get a new basic home weather station. Our old one lasted a couple years and then stopped showing the outside temperature.  I just want a good one that is known to work well, be accurate and work in winter.
I'd prefer one that is wireless and I can just hang the little thing outside on the house, if possible.

I just want outside temp, inside temp, forecast, day, date and time.  If it has anything else, that would be a bonus, but not necessary. Color would be nice, but if not, that's fine.

I'm looking to spend less around $50 or less.
I used one of these for years until I got my VP2. Very reliable.https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-indoor-outdoor-wireless-weather-station-with-thermometer-alarm-clock

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 04:57:04 PM »
50 bucks is most likely not going to get you anything durable. I myself have one of these, but I live in an area where it is not very windy or cold. I wouldn't trust that plastic.

VP2 on the other hand is an overkill, if he is looking for something in that price range, then suggesting a station worth 1000 USD is not going to work I guess and that is a semi-pro station anyway, not for this purpose.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 05:00:24 PM »
I wouldn't trust that plastic.
Mine lasted at least ten years. As a matter of fact, I gave it away when I upgraded because it still worked so well.

Offline Kathy642

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 05:09:52 PM »
In reading reviews on them, someone had an Acu-rite that kept going up in temp and got very hot, almost causing a fire. Also, it seems that a lot of people say Lacrosse weather stations are not very good.

Should I go with Acu-rite, Lacrosse, Ambient, Oregon or some other brand and is there a specific one anyone could suggest?

For that price, if it's accurate and lasts at least a couple years, I'd be happy.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 05:15:18 PM »
In reading reviews on them, someone had an Acu-rite that kept going up in temp and got very hot, almost causing a fire.
Ummm, what?

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 05:44:52 PM »
OS has  several that you can find at your local stores. Also Taylor  has  couple along the line  which you are looking to do what you want in the 30 dollar range at Ace hardware type  stores.

John

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 05:57:17 PM »
As John mentioned with regard to local store, if you have a Walmart around they have many models that fit your requirements to choose from.

Offline Kathy642

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 06:04:53 PM »
I know there are different ones at Walmart. I just thought if anyone had experience with one that worked well in that price range, I'd appreciate any specific suggestions, since they all have good and bad reviews and some of the bad reviews are really bad.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 06:14:04 PM »
I just thought if anyone had experience with one that worked well in that price range
Isn't that exactly what I gave you?

Offline Kathy642

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 07:06:16 PM »
CW2274,  you said the Davis wireless vp2.  Way out of my price range. Looking for $50 or less.

Offline Dartman

• Village Idiot
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 07:20:03 PM »
For 50 you wont get much of a station. Some Costcos right now have a Acurite for 80 bucks that would probably make you happy if you want to spend 30 extra bucks. You can spend thousands if you want to be up to a pro grade unit so you have to decide what your OK with and sounds like right now you just want a super cheap one that works for a while.
I've used the LaCross ones and now have used a few Acurites. They work pretty well, the company will actually honor the warranty for a year and usually after enough years in the weather the plastic starts breaking down and discoloring. They will sell you spare parts, whole 5in1 sensors, remote displays, all kinds of extras and upgrades, some pretty cheap. If I had the money I'd probably get a Davis but for now I'll plug away with my 5 in 1 pro and it's color display.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 07:26:16 PM »
CW2274,  you said the Davis wireless vp2.  Way out of my price range. Looking for $50 or less.
Did you not see reply 2???