Author Topic: Been moving sites from shared hosting to a VPS hosting...  (Read 1201 times)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Been moving sites from shared hosting to a VPS hosting...
« on: September 08, 2016, 08:01:50 PM »
Sorry if I haven't been too responsive lately.. since last week, I've been moving multiple sites from my (somewhat ancient) 1and1 Dual Linux unlimited package on shared hosting to a new 1and1 VPS M (one cpu) system in order to do three things:
1) avoid a cron-no-running issue which had parts of my site and 9 regional networks not working correctly (finally, it was fixed on Monday)
2) avoid the 5-concurrent FTP/SFTP session limits now imposed on 1and1 shared Linux hosting
3) do a general cleanup of lots of dross from running a site for 10 years.

I've managed to port/cleanup 9 regional sites I host and they are all moved to the VPS now:
Canada Atlantic, Canada Western, Canada Saskatchewan, Canada Manitoba,
Northeastern, Mid-Atlantic, Mid-South, Plains and Northwest

Whew.. now the big one.. the main saratoga-weather.org site (and to reconfigure all the weather software for uploading to the VPS).

n.b. The last station in Manitoba stopped reporting, so I've temporarily discontinued that network.. If anyone in Manitoba would like to join the network, I'll gladly reactivate it :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:07:05 PM by saratogaWX »
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Been moving sites from shared hosting to a VPS hosting...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 08:07:14 PM »
So far so good,  I hope it goes smoothly

Offline spweather

• Contributor
    • Sand Point Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 10:08:46 AM »
Hope it's OK replying to this topic after so long, just came across it.

Ken, I'm curious, after a few months, how you feel about moving to a VPS? I too, am frustrated by the 5 concurrent connections limit and have been considering a VPS.

Also, if you could be more specific about the 1and1 plan you chose and if it is suiting your needs. I looked at 1and1 plans and I didn't see any VPS, everything is Cloud.

Thanks,
Dennis
Regards,
Dennis

- Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus w/24hr FARS
- Davis (Ultra)Sonic Anemometer
- Boltek/MicroLDN TOA Lightening Detection
- Porcupine Labs LR4/Fluke 414D Laser Rangefinder snow depth measuring sensor

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 11:37:10 AM »
Not a problem .. I've been on the (now renamed) Virtural Server Cloud L since last year.  It took a bit of getting used to as I'd not done server admin stuff since before retirement in 2004.  But, the Plesk container and admin panels are reasonably easy to navigate and use.  I've set up 9 sites on the one VPS (my main site+8 regional net sites).

The only ongoing issue is what I thought were excessive numbers of 500 errors which I finally toned down by changing a PHP option to use less memory reserve for the opcache in PHP 7.1.

The good news is I'm free of the 5 concurrent FTP connections limit, and can use old-style FTP for weather programs that don't support FTPS or SFTP.  I have full access to the logs (both website and server) and run analysis daily.  I have a lot of 'knockers' on my SSH connection, but fail2ban shuts them off after 3 bad tries.

I don't recommend doing your own host unless you're comfortable about running a linux (CentOS) server yourself -- the tech support line for the VPS/Cloud servers actually connects to techs that know how to fix things (and not just read a support script).
So, for me.. I'm glad I moved to a VPS even if it costs me additional maintenance beyond the customary website maint.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline spweather

• Contributor
    • Sand Point Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 02:17:04 PM »
Thanks for the useful information Ken.

I probably don't have the skills, currently, to go the VPS route. But the 1and1 option you pointed to is certainly something to think about in the future.

Dennis
Regards,
Dennis

- Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus w/24hr FARS
- Davis (Ultra)Sonic Anemometer
- Boltek/MicroLDN TOA Lightening Detection
- Porcupine Labs LR4/Fluke 414D Laser Rangefinder snow depth measuring sensor

Offline vreihen

• El Nińo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 07:34:45 PM »
But the 1and1 option you pointed to is certainly something to think about in the future.

Whatever you do, stay away from 1&1 at all costs!  Maybe their VPS support is different, but their shared hosting plans and support nightmares have been documented on several threads here recently.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 09:01:32 PM »
Whatever you do, stay away from 1&1 at all costs!  Maybe their VPS support is different, but their shared hosting plans and support nightmares have been documented on several threads here recently.....

Sadly, I have to endorse that view. I had been with 1&1 for my own sites and some Charity sites that I manage for some years, and was initially quite happy with their performance and support, but the latter (particularly) had progressively deteriorated over the last year or so, and I finally gave up in the middle of last year and moved everything to another provider (Midphase.com). So far, I am very happy with the move, and their support is night and day better that 1&1's had become.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 09:05:18 PM »
1and1 USED TO be good,  now the best way towards non functional site

anything