Author Topic: Flash  (Read 5356 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Flash
« on: May 16, 2016, 05:58:41 AM »
So the expected is now confirmed... after being disabled on mobile devices, Google is now preparing to disable Flash in desktop Chrome by default as well (and I am sure FF will follow soon)

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/106_KLNJfwb9L-1hVVa4i29aw1YXUy9qFX-Ye4kvJj-4/edit#slide=id.g1270f83468_0_5

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
Re: Flash
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 06:54:09 AM »
I'm surprised Google waited this long, since they disabled/removed the Java plugin last year.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 07:01:22 AM »
Doesn't WU use flash for our live weather station data?
Randy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 07:02:06 AM »
Yes... me too....

on mobile devices as far as I know it cannot even be enabled. In this case it will be possible, but it is usually the case that once something is set by default, that is what 99% of users will use. Very few people will actually know how to enable it, go to the settings and turn it on. Not to mention the fact that even users like me, who know very well how to turn it on, might not do so (including me) because Google had a very good reason for doing this...

I hope this will not cause any major problems though because all webmasters who use Flash should be aware of the problems associated with this technology and this is something that everyone knew was coming sooner or later.

I knew this too and so I never included any plugin, block or anything that would use Flash in my template.

Two things that I can think of that will cause problems to many people on this forum are Weather Display Live and YoWindow. This is also why I said I will not make a block for YoWindow.

Flash is nice, or rather I should say was nice, it allowed to do things otherwise impossible, but we all know how vulnerable and unstable it was, but given there was no alternative, it was used very readily.

However these days, HTML5 in combination with CSS3 can do even more so there is no point in using Flash any more.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 07:08:00 AM »
I've got a file I use for my Samsung. Not sure if this is the exact file, but if it is works great.
http://updato.com/tag/install_flash_player_ics-apk
Randy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 07:25:31 AM »
I know but there are several problems with this:

1. very few people will know where to go and where to download this APK to use Flash, it will simply not show anything in their browser and they will not know why or what to do with it
2. Google has not allowed this to be included in the Play Store, so very few people will find it
3. and most importantly! Since this can only be downloaded from third-party sites, not from the official Play store, it means two things: you have to enable third-party apps in your mobile device settings, which is actually very dangerous, second - even this Flash APK, since you are not downloading it from the official Play Store, can contain malware, spyware, a virus.... it is generally recommended not to download from other sources than Play Store and it is also why this option is by default disabled for all Android devices

All in all it is pretty obvious that vast majority of people will not be able to see/use it, so webmasters should delete it or replace it even if they themselves find a work around it.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 07:40:54 AM »
The version I have is called (install_flash_player_ics.apk ) I found soon after they eliminated adobe flash from playstore couple years ago. I don't remember needing to enable 3rd party to install, I looked and its not currently enabled. 
Agree not many know about it, my will to see my weather station live at work drove me to find the work around. I've sent it to several friends and family with no adverse reports back.  I need to say the file link above isn't the same file I use.
Randy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 07:43:30 AM »
I know, but if you downloaded it from sources other than Play Store you must have that enabled in your settings and it is disabled by default and it can be potentially very dangerous because some sites can push downloads of fake or infected apps, even this flash one, you can never be sure someone hasnt inserted "something" into it.

I myself wouldnt trust anything or download any apk from other places than Play Store.

Of course in your case you know how to do it and it works for you, but it is nonsense to have something with Flash on your site that you want to be generally available.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 07:49:57 AM »
I downloaded on a computer moved file to phone folder and executed. Didn't remember needing any special permissions.
I was using it to see the rapidfire feed from my weather station from WU.  Here: https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNEVALEN2
Randy

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 07:52:57 AM »
That stinks.
Those of us with Weather display live will have to make changes.

I use puffin mobile browser to see the live data on my phone.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 08:01:48 AM »
I downloaded on a computer moved file to phone folder and executed. Didn't remember needing any special permissions.
I was using it to see the rapidfire feed from my weather station from WU.  Here: https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNEVALEN2

Yes then it makes sense, because you havent downloaded it using your phone.

The way this works is that you can only download APKs on your smartphone if you enable this in the settings and it is strongly recommended not to do so because it can be potentially very dangerous, you might download apps which look ok, but contain additional malicious code or the whole app can be just a virus.

What you did actually didnt overcome this potential risk, because your PC let you download it, but you still dont know what exactly is in the file.

WDL will stop working, but it has already been discussed on the WD forum some time ago. I brought it up I think some time in September. People know about it, because WDL already does not work on mobiles and tablets (unless you download Flash from third-party source, which is not so easy, requires allowing third-party downloads and recently is even hard to acutually find that download file).

Just look how often there are security fixes for Flash... i really wouldnt recommend using it. And this will "kill it" once and for all, because if Chrome and FF block it, that is maybe 80% of users.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 08:17:13 AM »
I'm good with it now. Before I didn't have ajax on my site.
Most likely WU will come up with something different for RF or many will stop sending data. Me for sure, I only send because its live data.
CWOP I don't mind sending non live data because its being used by other sources. But I stopped sending to all other sites years ago.
Randy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 08:33:24 AM »
Yes, I am sure that all the big sites such as WU will definitely switch to HTML5 if they havent done so already.

Offline vreihen

• El Nińo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 07:09:19 PM »
I hope this will not cause any major problems though because all webmasters who use Flash should be aware of the problems associated with this technology and this is something that everyone knew was coming sooner or later.

Have pity on a few Fortune-500 companies that have built entire software products around Flash!  After the last round of Flash vulnerabilities, I installed the "Flashcontrol" plugin for Chrome so that nothing in Flash runs without my approval.  Top on the fail list is VMware's enterprise server farm management tool.  There are also embedded Flash management tools in physical boxes like enterprise firewalls and even a telephone PBX that won't work without it enabled.

Let's just hope that these companies don't turn to Microsoft Silverlight to replace Flash.....  ](*,)
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 07:32:44 PM »
I remember when Flash start gaining traction:  I told a couple clients NOT ti use it.  They did anyway.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 07:33:54 PM »

Have pity on a few Fortune-500 companies that have built entire software products around Flash!  After the last round of Flash vulnerabilities, I installed the "Flashcontrol" plugin for Chrome so that nothing in Flash runs without my approval.  Top on the fail list is VMware's enterprise server farm management tool.  There are also embedded Flash management tools in physical boxes like enterprise firewalls and even a telephone PBX that won't work without it enabled.

Let's just hope that these companies don't turn to Microsoft Silverlight to replace Flash.....  ](*,)

Another positive thing is that it blocks many annoying ad banners, though I don't really care because I have been using AdBlock for several years  :grin:

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 11:55:38 PM »
I remember when Flash start gaining traction:  I told a couple clients NOT ti use it.  They did anyway.  :)

I can remember when my ISP's entire website was Flash; install/enable Flash or go away, idiots.

Flash needs to go away ASAP, then Adobe needs to fix all the pdf vulnerabilities they have added over the years.
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 04:29:07 AM »
My view is this isn't a big deal, it moves Chrome to be on a par with Firefox and IE whereby you have have to install the flash plugin if you want the functionality - if using for example the VMware web-client. Currently Chrome has a pre-integrated version.
Mark

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 05:32:24 AM »
Yes you are Mark, it will still be possible to use it, but you have to remember that vast majority of users always use the default setting, you or me are not an ordinary user

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2016, 06:33:14 AM »

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 02:20:20 PM »
Adobe:

Given this progress, and in collaboration with several of our technology partners – including Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft and Mozilla – Adobe is planning to end-of-life Flash. Specifically, we will stop updating and distributing the Flash Player at the end of 2020 and encourage content creators to migrate any existing Flash content to these new open formats.

Death is official :)

https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2017/07/adobe-flash-update.html

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 04:06:37 PM »
What's keeping weather related online sites, like WU, from dumping flash and use HTML5 in combination with CSS3 for visual or video?  It it a lack of good program engineers?

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 07:56:34 PM »
What's keeping weather related online sites, like WU, from dumping flash and use HTML5 in combination with CSS3 for visual or video?  It it a lack of good program engineers?

Laziness, everything used in flash can be replicated or more often improved

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2017, 11:47:02 PM »

Flash has all sorts of vulnerabilities such as cross site scripting (XSS) that have long been since eliminated from browsers, but many sites still depend on that for tracking purposes. There is no good reason to still have flash enabled.
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.