Author Topic: Show Off Your VWS Real Estate  (Read 24979 times)

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
Re: Show Off Your VWS Real Estate
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2013, 05:38:14 AM »
Looks good
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2013, 09:50:55 AM »
"I figured out which files in VWS to backup so that if I changed my layout and wanted to go back to what I had before, I just had to restore the old files)."

SHARE PLEASE!

Thanks,

George

Offline piconut

• Juggler Extraordinaire
  • Forecaster
    • South Austin Weather
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2013, 12:33:25 PM »
These are the files I copied and put into a backup folder. 

Located in the C:\vws\setup\

• attr3.bin
  • broad.bin
  • climate3.bin
  • conv.bin
  • display.bin
  • domdir.bin
  • jpeg.bin
  • license2.bin
  • menu.bin
  • metipos.bin
  • param3.bin
  • position.bin
  • prec2.bin
  • program5.bin
  • setdis.bin
  • winddir.bin
  • windmon.bin
  • windyr.bin

Then I modified my desktop to what I wanted and I saved the next versions of these files again in another backup folder.  Next I loaded the original backup files and copied them over the new files in the setup folder and my desktop looked exactly as it did before I made any changes.  The final test was to copy the second set of these files (the set from after I had re-arranged my desktop) and to replace the original files once again and the new desktop came back.

While playing around with things to see which files changed, I noticed that other .BIN files in the setup folder had very recent modified dates as well.  So some of those other ones may have some affect on the layout too.  When I first did this, I just copied the SETUP folder with ALL the .BIN files in it and saved it to make backup NAS so that I could always go back to where I was before in case anything blew up.

Unfortunately I do not know how to program so I can't write some nice little program that would do this automatically and allow me to name the saved backup sets (ideally, along with a screen capture of the layout!).  Does someone have those skills here and wants to offer their services?

By the way, I take no responsibility if you mess up your installation of VWS from whatever you attempt to try.  Just back everything up first and you should be able to get back to where you were before.  YMMV

Scott from Austin.
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
  • Virtual VP
  • Virtual Weather Station V15.00
  • Cumulus
  • Cumulus MX
  • Image Salsa
  • IP TimeLapse

Offline piconut

• Juggler Extraordinaire
  • Forecaster
    • South Austin Weather
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2013, 04:06:58 AM »
OK, I think I've come up with one of my best VWS layouts yet!  I've finally figured out a work-around for creating borders between like-themed gauges.  Here is what I've got so far.  The bottom right corner is my play space and the items there change often.

• Virtual VP
  • Cumulus
  • Cumulus MX
  • Image Salsa
  • IP TimeLapse

Offline sdc

« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2015, 05:37:03 PM »
May I ask how you've achieved different font sizes and colours for different elements on the screen?

Offline piconut

• Juggler Extraordinaire
  • Forecaster
    • South Austin Weather
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2015, 06:13:08 PM »
May I ask how you've achieved different font sizes and colors for different elements on the screen?
For different colors, going into each element's properties (right click) you can select background color, frame color, number color, etc, depending on which element (gauge, alphanumeric) you're selecting.  I think you can only change the colors if you haven't previously gone into MODIFY DISPLAY > GENERAL DISPLAY SETTINGS and then selected for ALL items to have the same color for each property, although I'm not entirely sure about this. 

As for font sizes, you can only set font style and size globally in the same GENERAL DISPLAY SETTINGS panel as above.  If you're seeing different font sizes with any one item on my VWS screen layout, like "Moonrise" for instance, it is because that is how the item shows up as a default.

Hope that helps....

BTW way, it's too bad that "VWS Ed" wasn't able to add simple line or block drawing tools to ad the visual separators that I have on my screen.  I was only able to achieve the black line separators by adding a large number of very rarely used alpha-numerics, like TOTAL RAIN AVG and INDOOR HUMIDITY LOW and then changing the color to all elements within that alpha-numeric to black and resizing the item so that it creates either a horizontal or vertical line.  That is why you see that some of my lines are thicker than others.  Hard to get them all the same, but it still works and help visually separate "like items" better.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 06:18:37 PM by piconut »
  • Virtual VP
  • Cumulus
  • Cumulus MX
  • Image Salsa
  • IP TimeLapse

Offline pwdiver

• Beach Area Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • My 1972 Challenger
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2015, 01:27:48 PM »
I like the modified screen Im still using the old VWS layout I cant even figure how to get the VWS html anymore it used to be easy I wanted to post it on our future website ](*,)

Offline sdc

« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2015, 10:21:58 AM »
Thought I'd share my layout; thanks to those on here who have suggested ways of getting things looking how I like them!  The only limiting factor now is physical screen size... perhaps a bigger monitor is called for!!

Offline piconut

• Juggler Extraordinaire
  • Forecaster
    • South Austin Weather
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2015, 11:26:47 AM »
Thought I'd share my layout; thanks to those on here who have suggested ways of getting things looking how I like them!  The only limiting factor now is physical screen size... perhaps a bigger monitor is called for!!

Nice job!  I like the clean look of your layout.  Mine appears more cluttered than yours.
  • Virtual VP
  • Cumulus
  • Cumulus MX
  • Image Salsa
  • IP TimeLapse

Offline sdc

« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2015, 01:49:17 PM »
Thanks - I was obsessively fussy over the alignment and so on ... I think it took three days to get this the way it looks! Then I had to do it all again on my work PC which gets the data relayed to it over a VPN connection to a stationless copy of VWS!

Offline piconut

• Juggler Extraordinaire
  • Forecaster
    • South Austin Weather
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2015, 04:23:08 PM »
Thanks - I was obsessively fussy over the alignment and so on ... I think it took three days to get this the way it looks! Then I had to do it all again on my work PC which gets the data relayed to it over a VPN connection to a stationless copy of VWS!

Yep, mine took several days of tweaking until I got it how I wanted.  If you ever have to replicate a desktop layout for VWS again (or want to back one up) just see my post earlier in this thread indicating which VWS files to save and then you just copy them over to the new location and it will create a duplicate layout!

See this post: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=2773.msg193889#msg193889
  • Virtual VP
  • Cumulus
  • Cumulus MX
  • Image Salsa
  • IP TimeLapse

Offline sdc

« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2015, 03:03:33 AM »
That's great - very useful.  Many thanks!

Offline sdc

« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2017, 04:26:00 AM »
These are the files I copied and put into a backup folder.  ...
Scott from Austin.

Thanks once again for this useful post!! I've just had to reinstall VWS on Windows 10 (which is proving buggy with VWS so far, but not yet fathomed out why  :???:) and had to locate the files I had to restore to regain my layout. I knew somewhere, someone had listed the files needed - so I'm glad to have found this post again!  :-)