Author Topic: WS-1400-IP disconnects from server  (Read 16220 times)

Offline CColotti

WS-1400-IP disconnects from server
« on: December 27, 2014, 01:56:04 PM »
Often I look at the remote unit and all things are online except the "server" light.  I then get notifications from WUnderground my unit has not reported in.  I have very solid internet access on every other device, but what can cause it to disconnect from the server connection?

Offline dpdurst

Re: WS-1400-IP disconnects from server
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 11:11:16 AM »
Possible the firewall/router and/or ISP is blocking the port 5000? That is about the only thing that makes sense as to why the server would not be connected. I guess you could also have a bad unit but I would think that other things would show up.

Does your router logs show a connection such as the below? That should be the connection of the IP Observer module. Could also say port 5000 as well.

internal             external                host or port
192.168.1.15     38.102.136.125       www
Hardware: Ambient Weather 1400 IP Observer
Wunderground: KAZMARIC10
http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KAZMARIC10

Offline CColotti

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 02:00:37 PM »
Nothing outbound is blocked and it works for some time then stops reporting...if it were blocked it would never have connected for sure in the first place i'd think.  I control my own firewalls and I don't block anything outbound

Offline dpdurst

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 02:04:01 PM »
Run a wireshark capture and see what it says if its actually making it to the server when it says its down.

Offline CColotti

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 02:10:35 PM »
I think that was going to be my next thing for sure...don't want it to keep fluttering

Offline CColotti

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 07:23:34 AM »
This is what I keep getting this message every couple days...

The Weather Underground PWS network has detected that your personal weather station (ID #KTNGREEN16) has not reported to www.wunderground.com in 2 hours hours. Please check that your station is operational by visiting your station's settings here: http://www.wunderground.com/wxstation/signup.html For more details and information about troubleshooting visit our PWS wiki page: http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/PWS_-_Personal_Weather_Stations We want to ensure that you are informed on the status of your weather station so you can continue to receive accurate data from Weather Underground. - The Weather Underground Staff

So it IS reporting then quits....very annoying!

I assume all traffic from the IP unit is outbound only...so why does this keep happening?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 07:27:25 AM by CColotti »

Offline CColotti

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 10:52:04 AM »
Now the unit has no lights on except the power and link/activity but I cannot get to it and cannot find it with IP tool scanner.....time to call ambient weather I guess and get a replacement.

Offline dpdurst

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 12:22:07 PM »
That sucks, hopefully the new one fixes the issue.

Offline CColotti

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 12:23:11 PM »
Well AW helped me re-flash from scratch and it's back...for now...LOL

Offline ptr727

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 11:50:06 PM »
Similar experience.

I've had my WS1400 for about two weeks now, and a day ago I got an email that it is not sending data.
I looked at the LAN unit, all lights looked fine, I tried to access it via IP, no response.
Power cycled, and it could connect, and a while later I could see WUG is again reporting data.

Already running the latest 1.0.9 software.
Any ideas?

P.

Offline CColotti

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 05:05:48 PM »
I've been helping the developers work on this.  A firmware update is pending that could solve it. We discovered the device was susceptible to TCP broadcasts on the LAN causing it to go offline when the network it is on is very chatty. Hoping to see the new firmware in a week. They have been very good about using my data collected on my network to find the root cause and reproduce the problem.

Offline ptr727

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 09:33:20 PM »
I just installed the 2.0 firmware, hope it fixes the issue.

Offline CColotti

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 07:07:11 AM »
There is another minor one pending...the unit may have a memory leak they are sending me another to test this week. :)

What I can say is they have been great about listening to the issue....not just saying it's my network.

Offline CColotti

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 01:55:03 PM »
I've been testing the 2.1 updated that is pending and the latency is much improved and I've not seen any disconnects from the servers.  Expect another update release, there is a minor UI bug on the station ID screen.  I'm just glad their developers LISTENED to me!

Offline CColotti

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 01:55:43 PM »
I just installed the 2.0 firmware, hope it fixes the issue.

It should be better but the 2.1 update will fix a memory leak that was also affecting the connectivity of the unit.

Offline ptr727

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 07:52:36 PM »
I just updated to 2.1,and there is something wrong with the station config.
After update station is blank, I enter station name and password, click save, and then station changes to "0000000000 maxlength="

Reverting to 2.0 fixes the problem.

Anybody else experience this?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 08:00:38 PM by ptr727 »

Offline diegoga

• Loma Verde
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 09:23:06 PM »
I have exactly the same issues about the observer IP disconnecting from server. All lights are ON EXCEPT for the SERVER light.
It usually happens about 4 or 5 days of the latest reboot. I've already updated to firmware 2.0 but still same issues.

When tried with 2.1 I saw the same thing as ptr727 after setting the station name and password:
The station name would reset to "0000000000 maxlength=".

Any clues? Is there some issue with firmware v2.1 or a new release date for a stable build of it ?

Regards
Diego

Offline ptr727

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 08:51:14 PM »
AW support told me that the person working on the firmware is on vacation...

Offline arlowx

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 03:40:39 PM »
I just updated to 2.1,and there is something wrong with the station config.
After update station is blank, I enter station name and password, click save, and then station changes to "0000000000 maxlength="

Reverting to 2.0 fixes the problem.

Anybody else experience this?

I set up my WS1400 week before last & had updated the firmware before I saw this.

Mine did the same thing but the station name took the third try & I haven't had any issues since.

Offline Arktikos

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 03:23:13 PM »
I lost power to my router and ObserverIP yesterday and couldn't for the life of me get it to link back up. I then flashed it with v. 2.1 and it has been working well since. I'm a little afraid to disrupt the power to check to see if it will boot back up on its own but am hopeful it will. This is the first hiccup with the 1400 but am glad to hear that the Ambient Weather people seem to care. That is a big deal for me!
Alaska Data Portal:
http://tinyurl.com/q9rp3sw

Earth: a visualization of global weather conditions
forecast by supercomputers.
http://tinyurl.com/nbrgnnr

Offline billybob

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 11:10:32 PM »
When tried with 2.1 I saw the same thing as ptr727 after setting the station name and password:
The station name would reset to "0000000000 maxlength=".
Make sure you do a reset by pressing the little reset button on the observerIP. I had the same problem as you till I read the instructions again.

On a different note, this changes the update interval to WU from 16sec to 30 seconds. The refresh interval of the observerIP stays at 8 seconds so I wonder why they did that. I wish they would mention things like that in the release notes  :roll:. Another thing I have observed is that it takes the observerIP much longer to sync with my indoor and outdoor stations after the update. I might just revert back because I don't see any value in this update so far as I had no connection problems previously.

Offline Arktikos

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 11:29:23 PM »

On a different note, this changes the update interval to WU from 16sec to 30 seconds. The refresh interval of the observerIP stays at 8 seconds so I wonder why they did that. I wish they would mention things like that in the release notes  :roll:. Another thing I have observed is that it takes the observerIP much longer to sync with my indoor and outdoor stations after the update. I might just revert back because I don't see any value in this update so far as I had no connection problems previously.

Oh ratz.. This explains a lot about why it is taking much longer to update WU with 2.1. Also noticed that it took a LONG time before it finally linked up with my indoor sensors! New and improved isn't always so...  :roll:
Alaska Data Portal:
http://tinyurl.com/q9rp3sw

Earth: a visualization of global weather conditions
forecast by supercomputers.
http://tinyurl.com/nbrgnnr

Offline arlowx

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 01:51:35 PM »
Since it is a windy day here, I was comparing the wind data posted on WU vs the actual live data (which was much higher) & I had a 20+ min drop-out on WU.

On the live data page I happened to notice that my "receiver time" had dropped an hour back & on the "table" version of WU for my data, that time of day had of course, passed. I re-set the time an hour off to get the correct local time & the reports to WU immediately started again. The "daylight savings" button is on. The time has not been reset (by me) since it was set up more than a month ago.

Possible software issue? And maybe related to other's station dropouts?

I am running V2.1 with no real problems so far.

Offline vidwiz

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2016, 10:08:00 PM »
I'm late to the party but this problem still exists for me.  Using latest firmware version 3.1.

Offline Daali

• weather n00b
  • Senior Contributor
    • The weather in Jefferson, GA
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2016, 07:21:34 AM »
You can see what I did here:
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=29804.msg293360#msg293360

To make a long story, short:
1. I created a telnet batch file which logged in and reboot every xx hours; I used 4 since it only takes the device <30 secs to come back online.

2. I created a couple meteobridge alerts that would send me a text to reboot if it stopped sending data.  I have since modified this and added a WeMo switch, and IFTTT which power cycles the device if this occurs.

In the long run it seems the better option is a meteostick, but I am good to go now.

anything