Author Topic: VWSaprs version 2 has been released  (Read 77542 times)

Offline Meteorologica

• Contributor
Re: VWSaprs version 2 has been released
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 12:42:13 PM »
You would want to upgrade if

1) You are running any Davis product since the pressure being sent to CWOP in older versions was the QFF pressure and the new version calculates the pressure as QNH which is what MADIS require.
2) If you want to send Solar Radiation data
3) If you want the ability to turn off sensors if they are known to be offline, broken or sending false data.
4) You want to send data at 5 minute intervals

Its not compulsory to upgrade, the old version has run happily for over 5 years, but users have asked for these other items and the Davis pressure issue has been a problem for quite a while.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 12:54:15 PM by Meteorologica »

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 04:30:55 PM »
"I'm curious, if the data I'm sending with the old version is spot on with CWOP, why would I upgrade?"

Steve,

I can't answer your question, but I think I can enlighten the situation somewhat. This is reasoned opinion and not known fact. Ambient is one of the largest sellers of Davis Weather Stations. Ambient is also the author of one of the two largest weather software programs. CWOP has created a market for themselves by soliciting owners of personal weather stations to give them free weather reports from locations around the world. CWOP pays for this data with quality feedback in the form of the beloved Green Check or dreaded Red X. Where does CWOP get the STANDARD data they test your data against? They won't tell us but I would bet that, in the case of pressure, it is obtained automatically from airports. Being obtained automatically from airports means it is Altimeter Pressure rather than Meteorological Sea Level Pressure which WAS all that Davis PWS reported. There was a large discrepancy ,especially at higher elevations, between SLP that Davis reported and Altimeter pressure that CWOP required (Note that WD, Cumulus, and VPLive have sent the proper format for years). After years of fighting, with Ambient refusing to send pressure to CWOP in the form they needed, this latest upgrade does that. However, there have been two major happenings in the meantime; one, the Ambient forum was dissolved over this issue and two, Davis added the ability for its stations to provide the pressure data in the format CWOP required. So now, since your elevation is approximately 1000 feet, if you want your station to display the barometric pressure to correspond to the local TV station, and also send info to CWOP in their format, you should upgrade your software and change your Davis hardware to SLP.

FWIW ( a lot of opinion and some facts thrown in )

George

Offline Meteorologica

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 04:39:01 PM »
Thanks George, that sums it up well!

Please note that Ambient still only support Meteorological Sea Level Pressure so I've had to make VWSaprs calculate Altimeter Pressure itself, one of the reasons we are not using the wxreport.txt file anymore.

Offline Meteorologica

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 06:09:46 PM »
Okay, I think we have made progress. On our systems here there are now no problems so lets see what else we are left with to fix on your systems  :grin:

New version just uploaded v2.0.0.5

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 06:33:55 PM »
"I'm curious, if the data I'm sending with the old version is spot on with CWOP, why would I upgrade?"

Steve,

I can't answer your question, but I think I can enlighten the situation somewhat. This is reasoned opinion and not known fact. Ambient is one of the largest sellers of Davis Weather Stations. Ambient is also the author of one of the two largest weather software programs. CWOP has created a market for themselves by soliciting owners of personal weather stations to give them free weather reports from locations around the world. CWOP pays for this data with quality feedback in the form of the beloved Green Check or dreaded Red X. Where does CWOP get the STANDARD data they test your data against? They won't tell us but I would bet that, in the case of pressure, it is obtained automatically from airports. Being obtained automatically from airports means it is Altimeter Pressure rather than Meteorological Sea Level Pressure which WAS all that Davis PWS reported. There was a large discrepancy ,especially at higher elevations, between SLP that Davis reported and Altimeter pressure that CWOP required (Note that WD, Cumulus, and VPLive have sent the proper format for years). After years of fighting, with Ambient refusing to send pressure to CWOP in the form they needed, this latest upgrade does that. However, there have been two major happenings in the meantime; one, the Ambient forum was dissolved over this issue and two, Davis added the ability for its stations to provide the pressure data in the format CWOP required. So now, since your elevation is approximately 1000 feet, if you want your station to display the barometric pressure to correspond to the local TV station, and also send info to CWOP in their format, you should upgrade your software and change your Davis hardware to SLP.

FWIW ( a lot of opinion and some facts thrown in )

George
Ok, I understand that, very good explanation. So what I have to assume (I need to check my console) is that my pressure = airport Altimeter Pressure, I'm always within .1 mb in CWOP of (yes, I agree with you about comparing us to the closest airport) my reference. What I display on my webpage is basically the same thing the airport shows that's about 5-7 miles away. And I'm also assuming that I must have the proper combination of hardware/software setup that I don't need the new upgrade?

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 08:25:55 PM »
1) We have altered the page repaint so if you were having problems with the tabs appearing empty after you restore the program from its minimised state can we see if this behaviour has altered in any way please?

This issue went away with 203

2) For those that it only sent the data once, we need to identify if the problem lies with how your computer writes the modify date to the dbase.csv file or something else is happening. On the third tab there is temporarily a coloured blob below the data string. Can you watch this and see if it changes from red to green at the interval you have set in VWSaprs. It should stay green for a few seconds then revert to red. Please let us know what happens.

Still have the issue with it not sending data. When the program is started, it gets the correct data from the dbase, populates the catagories with the correct data and the green light flashes. The updates are done every 10 minutes. The next update time rolls around, the green light flashes, yet nothing is being sent to CWOP.

All firewalls are turned off, all anti-virus is turned off, so it is a wide open pipe. Stop the program and fire up 1.9.8 and off it goes, data to CWOP.

I'm stumped.

Bob
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 09:32:57 AM by racenet »
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline hanford

• WA4LZC  ORLANDO  WEATHER
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 08:36:06 PM »
I just tried v2.0.0.5 and I still get a wierd temp reading 317 degrees F instead of 64 degrees F and my pressure jumps +5 mb
Here is my findu page I will leave it for a while so Tim can get a look at it  
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=WA4LZC&last=12   Is anyone but me getting the strange temp and baro readings???

Tim
I am running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit vws ver 14.01 p25  my weather station is a peet bros ultimeter 2100
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 08:58:51 PM by hanford »

Offline tnwxman

• Forecaster
  • KK4QXH
    • Weather for Lebanon, TN 37087
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2011, 09:17:27 PM »
Agree to the above. Yesterday used 2.0 and high temp reading, and high barometer reading. It only updated once. When I looked at the program all the information in the tabs was gone only white.

Now using 2.0.5 it took over 6 minutes for the orginal data gathering. DB timer is 1 minutes with VWSaprs set to 10 minutes. Still the high temeprature problem it is now 174 degrees and the barometer jumped up. I waited to post this message and the program did update at 10 minutes (improvement over uesterday) however it is 170 degrees and the higher baro reading.

Sorry but this program is still broke.
Bob
KK4QXH

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2011, 09:29:17 PM »
Now using 2.0.0.5 and everything is updating to CWOP just fine. Have no idea why the prior versions wouldn't.

Anyway, will leeave it run for a bit just to make sure all is well.

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline NDSWeather

• NDS Weather - Colorado City
  • Contributor
  • NDS Weather - Colorado City CO
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 10:33:49 PM »
Now using 2.0.0.5(7 Now) and everything is updating to CWOP just fine.
That is after I read this forum thread; it took a while to set the location.
And the first time I ran it I did have to tell my XP system to allow it to run.
Also in regedit.exe under run as in the old version I did have to reboot one time
and uncheck the button “Always ask before opening this file”
NDS Weather

2.0.0.7 Is now out, I will want for real final version 2.0.0.x
And my stats are way off. Now I guess it will take another year or so. Bummer
http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/C4784?tile=10;days=3#Data
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 12:12:27 PM by bcavnaugh »
6153 Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 FW 1.90 Serial Port
Now Only WeatherLink 6.0.5
KCOCOLOR2154 CW4784

Offline DJMWX86

• Senior Contributor
  • I LOVE WX!
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 11:17:20 PM »
I have VWSaprs v. 1.9.8.0 and have been having trouble sending data. I've been using the server of cwop.aprs.net and port 1450 but sometimes it just stops sending in it's own and after restarting vwsaprs and my pc and using diffrent ports and servers, I can't seem to make it work again. Can any one help?  :? and  ](*,)
Thanks.
Doug
CW2334=CWOP
KOHMOREL1=WUnderground
OH-CY-13=CoCoRaHS
WX Station: Davis VP2 6152 (Wireless)
WX OS: VWS 15.00
VWSaprs: v. 2.0.2.0.

[

Offline Meteorologica

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2011, 02:41:28 AM »
I have VWSaprs v. 1.9.8.0 and have been having trouble sending data. I've been using the server of cwop.aprs.net and port 1450 but sometimes it just stops sending in it's own and after restarting vwsaprs and my pc and using diffrent ports and servers, I can't seem to make it work again. Can any one help?  :? and  ](*,)

Leave it on automatic otherwise the fallback facility gets disabled, don't try entering your own server details unless you really have a good reason to do this.

Better still, try out the new version.

Offline Meteorologica

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2011, 07:55:17 AM »
New version 2.0.0.7 uploaded. This should fix the weird temperature problem.

So, can we give it a try out and report back please?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 11:10:43 AM by Meteorologica »

Offline DJMWX86

• Senior Contributor
  • I LOVE WX!
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2011, 02:01:27 PM »
I put in on Auto and still no data sending.
Thanks.
Doug
CW2334=CWOP
KOHMOREL1=WUnderground
OH-CY-13=CoCoRaHS

[

Offline Meteorologica

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2011, 02:08:50 PM »
I put in on Auto and still no data sending.

What version of VWSaprs? Also what are the database timer setting in VWS and the interval in VWSaprs? Perhaps you could send over screen shots of the three tabs so we can see exactly what its doing?

Offline tnwxman

• Forecaster
  • KK4QXH
    • Weather for Lebanon, TN 37087
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2011, 08:21:54 PM »
Finally working for me 2.0.0.7! =D> \:D/ :lol:

Thank you!
Bob
KK4QXH

Offline Andy Thompson

• Southern Minnesota Live Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Madelia and Thompson Farms
    • Southern Minnesota Live Weather
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2011, 09:06:14 PM »
I have now down graded to my old version that worked perfectly. Will not upgrade again until all issues have been solved.
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline Meteorologica

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2011, 02:20:25 PM »
I have now down graded to my old version that worked perfectly. Will not upgrade again until all issues have been solved.

Ah, but it doesn't! Since you've got a Davis its going to be sending the wrong pressure data to CWOP!

Offline Meteorologica

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2011, 04:56:09 PM »
2.0.0.8 here. Update every 5 minutes.  VWS updates database every 5 minutes.  

Only sent data one time.

Windows 7 32bit machine.

Can you try setting the send interval to 10 minutes and see what happens? Also, could you copy the last few lines of data in your dbase.csv file and email them over? You can open it in notepad to do this. We need to see if there is something unusual about what is happening in your data.

It seems strange that you are only able to send one data packet to CWOP and also (from your other thread) send one data packet only to PWSweather.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 04:58:31 PM by Meteorologica »

Offline dasman

• Forecaster
    • Wx Peotone
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2011, 05:26:24 PM »
I understand the differences between the old and new versions of the Program.  The main one being the way Davis pressure is calculated then reported to CWOP.  Well I have an honest question and I'm not looking to pick a fight.  I have a 99% CWOP rate over 52 weeks.  CW7762

Barometer
Average barometer error:  -0.4 milliBars
Error standard deviation:  0.4 milliBars
That is less then 1 half of one milliBar.  I have a Davis.  When is close enough close enough!  There are tons of non-Davis Stations nowhere near as close as mine is.
Why would I need to be concerned with theese numbers?
By the way the closest METAR station to Peotone is the Kankakee Airport.  It is KKK.

Barometer
Average barometer error:  -0.8 milliBars
Error standard deviation:  0.5 milliBars

Dave Sommerfed
Peotone Illinois USA
CW7762, KILPEOT1
NWS COOP, CoCoRaHS, Spotter Network

Offline Meteorologica

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2011, 05:33:07 PM »
I understand the differences between the old and new versions of the Program.  The main one being the way Davis pressure is calculated then reported to CWOP.  Well I have an honest question and I'm not looking to pick a fight.  I have a 99% CWOP rate over 52 weeks.  CW7762

Barometer
Average barometer error:  -0.4 milliBars
Error standard deviation:  0.4 milliBars
That is less then 1 half of one milliBar.  I have a Davis.  When is close enough close enough!  There are tons of non-Davis Stations nowhere near as close as mine is.
Why would I need to be concerned with theese numbers?
By the way the closest METAR station to Peotone is the Kankakee Airport.  It is KKK.

Barometer
Average barometer error:  -0.8 milliBars
Error standard deviation:  0.5 milliBars

What isyour altitude? That makes a huge difference to the calculation. Also, how did you get your barometer right? Did you adjust it on the console or in software?

Offline NDSWeather

• NDS Weather - Colorado City
  • Contributor
  • NDS Weather - Colorado City CO
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2011, 09:19:13 PM »
Now to fix VWS with this new version 2.0.0.8 or what it might be this hour.

"Do I set the altitude? Software"
"Did you adjust it on the console or in software? console"

Do I now set the altitude in console and in VWS Software

Do I correct it in console or in the VWS Software

Do increase or decrease to correct it? http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/C4784?tile=10;days=1.5#Data

Will it fix it on its own?

We have spent many years getting this right and now I have start all over.

NDS Weather
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 09:35:48 PM by bcavnaugh »
6153 Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 FW 1.90 Serial Port
Now Only WeatherLink 6.0.5
KCOCOLOR2154 CW4784

Offline pwomble

• ClubhouseWX.com
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2011, 10:35:47 PM »
2.0.0.8 here. Update every 5 minutes.  VWS updates database every 5 minutes.  

Only sent data one time.

Windows 7 32bit machine.

Can you try setting the send interval to 10 minutes and see what happens? Also, could you copy the last few lines of data in your dbase.csv file and email them over? You can open it in notepad to do this. We need to see if there is something unusual about what is happening in your data.

It seems strange that you are only able to send one data packet to CWOP and also (from your other thread) send one data packet only to PWSweather.

Thanks

I unchecked  start minimized and it works fine.  http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=WC4PEM-1

Still no luck with PWS however  ](*,)

Offline dasman

• Forecaster
    • Wx Peotone
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2011, 11:38:45 PM »
What is your altitude? That makes a huge difference to the calculation. Also, how did you get your barometer right? Did you adjust it on the console or in software?

My altitude is 715 feet above sea level.

I have my console set to the proper Lat and Long, and the proper elevation.  When I initially set it up I waited until a high pressure moved in. I was forecast to stay a while. This provided Baro readings that did not fluctuate too much.  Then I tweaked the readings on the console to read the same as the airport.  There are two other airports 30 miles away in different directions, so when all 3 of the airports were the same or within 1 or 2 millBars, I could do a final tweak to my reading.  That was 2 years ago, and as you can see the data is of high quality.  There is no problem with adjusting the console.  You just have to do it when pressure is not fluctuating and you can get  a few different sources near the same reading.

That's why I do not see why I would need to upgrade to "improve" my reading.

I do however understand that if your station is at a couple thousand feet, and the nearest METAR is close but a thousand feet off in elevation, this would provide a challenge to calibration.  I am lucky, all 3 of the airports are within 100 feet of my elevation, and all 3 are in different directions.  In fact they are all 25-30 miles away!
Dave Sommerfed
Peotone Illinois USA
CW7762, KILPEOT1
NWS COOP, CoCoRaHS, Spotter Network

Offline DJMWX86

• Senior Contributor
  • I LOVE WX!
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2011, 01:07:03 AM »
I had to enable APRS File Setting in VWS to get my data flowing again. Duh on my part. lol.
Thanks.
Doug
CW2334=CWOP
KOHMOREL1=WUnderground
OH-CY-13=CoCoRaHS

[

anything