Author Topic: VP2 Console Messages/ Forecasts  (Read 911 times)

Offline Tentacle

• N3HBJ
  • Retired...and "Livin' the Dream!"
VP2 Console Messages/ Forecasts
« on: April 18, 2020, 11:55:55 AM »
It seems that the recent COVID-19 self-isolation is causing my OCD to go into overdrive!  I have begun to focus on an issue with my Vantage Pro2 console (6312) that has bugged me for some time.  The only message I have ever seen displayed in my ticker window is the "Raining Cats and Dogs" message.  I have reviewed the list of available messages at the link: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=532.0 , but have NEVER seen any of the other messages displayed.  I have 2 consoles and neither have registered any of the remaining messages even when, in my opinion, the WX conditons are right for such notices to appear.  Additionally, no astronomical advisories (meterorite showers, eclipses, etc.) are ever shown.  Davis tech support is no help.  Can anyone offer suggestions?  I feel as though I am not geting 100% out of my investment, despite the fact that the station has performed well in every other respect. Are the threshold triggers for these events user-customizeable, or are they factory set?

Offline piconut

• Juggler Extraordinaire
  • Forecaster
    • South Austin Weather
Re: VP2 Console Messages/ Forecasts
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 12:00:13 PM »
It seems that the recent COVID-19 self-isolation is causing my OCD to go into overdrive!  I have begun to focus on an issue with my Vantage Pro2 console (6312) that has bugged me for some time.  The only message I have ever seen displayed in my ticker window is the "Raining Cats and Dogs" message.  I have reviewed the list of available messages at the link: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=532.0 , but have NEVER seen any of the other messages displayed.  I have 2 consoles and neither have registered any of the remaining messages even when, in my opinion, the WX conditons are right for such notices to appear.  Additionally, no astronomical advisories (meterorite showers, eclipses, etc.) are ever shown.  Davis tech support is no help.  Can anyone offer suggestions?  I feel as though I am not geting 100% out of my investment, despite the fact that the station has performed well in every other respect. Are the threshold triggers for these events user-customizeable, or are they factory set?

I'm assuming you have pressed the Forecast button, right?
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
  • Virtual VP
  • Virtual Weather Station V15.00
  • Cumulus
  • Cumulus MX
  • Image Salsa
  • IP TimeLapse

Offline Tentacle

• N3HBJ
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 12:14:44 PM »
Yes, and when pressed this appropriately scrolls a forecast.  My issue pertains to the supposedly automatic display of astronomical and WX related messages that should be appearing in the ticker screen without user intervention.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 12:20:43 PM »
I don't have chapter and verse on when different warnings or alerts might have been added into the console firmware, but if your console was an old one and had not had the F/W updated then that might be a partial explanation.

On the weather warnings: maybe you simply live in a location where extreme weather is not common?

Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Tentacle

• N3HBJ
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 12:28:02 PM »
Thanks, johnd.  Yes my firmware is current. I do occasionaly experience extreme weather here in Central Pennsylvania.  The most recent being high winds.  I notice that there is a "Hang on to your hats" message that has never been displayed despite locally severe, damaging wind conditions.  I don't know what the solution is...

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 12:34:00 PM »
Yes my firmware is current. I do occasionaly experience extreme weather here in Central Pennsylvania.  The most recent being high winds.  I notice that there is a "Hang on to your hats" message that has never been displayed despite locally severe, damaging wind conditions.

Then my next question would be to ask how well exposed your anemometer might be? Wind speeds might be high in your area but if the anemometer is in a sheltered location the console will never see the high wind speeds to trigger the warnings. The console can obviously only respond to the sensor readings it actually receives and not what might be the case eg in the middle of a nearby wide-open airfield to take an obvious example.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Tentacle

• N3HBJ
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 12:39:12 PM »
My station and anemometer are correctly sited.  It is not uncommon during high winds for my station to record windspeeds in excess of 35 MPH.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 12:50:26 PM »
I know that the VUE console will show meteor showers, etc. if you press TIME and change from time-of-day to sunrise-sunset times.

I see this right away on my VUE console, but the only change on the VP2 was to display sunset and sunrise time. I'll watch it for a while.

If your display is showing the current time and date, you might try selecting the alternate TIME display and see what happens.

The meteor showers might be unique to VUE. It displays in the WxCen area.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Tentacle

• N3HBJ
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 01:21:45 PM »
Thank you, miraculon. I have never tried selecting the alternate time for sunrise/sunset before.  I will see what happens with this setting over time.  I do think you are correct in that the VP2 does not offer much of the astronomical infomation that the VUE does. I appreciate your help in troubleshooting my issue!

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 01:23:14 PM »
My station and anemometer are correctly sited.  It is not uncommon during high winds for my station to record windspeeds in excess of 35 MPH.

Define 'correctly sited', eg what height and exposure relative to surrounding obstacles.

I can't recall exactly what the trigger speeds are but 35mph isn't much, certainly as a single gust speed. Maybe as a 2 or 10min mean it might be a threshold, but I'd be thinking more like 50mph
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Tentacle

• N3HBJ
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 01:33:09 PM »
That may be true, johnd. Perhaps the winds are not sufficient to trigger any specialty messages.  It could be that my location is too sheltered to expect those results.

Offline Storm017

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2020, 01:44:20 PM »

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 01:53:52 PM »
As I recall some messages are only shown when a certain variable is selected on the console.  For example "HOLD ON TO YOUR HAT" may only show if you have WIND selected on the console, then it will switch between the 10 minute average windspeed and hold on to your hat every few seconds.

I'm sure the VP consoles were never programmed to show meteor showers.  It was just added when they designed the Vue to make it appeal more to meteorologists.  :lol:

Offline Tentacle

• N3HBJ
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2020, 05:16:38 PM »
Thanks, SnowHiker...I have seen that in one of these forums before.  I have previously tried selecting the wind variable, but still didn't see anything beyond the 10 minute average wind speed text.  I suppose it's possible that the sustained winds need to be of hurricane strength to trigger a message.  Periodic high gusts don't seem to cut it!   :lol: