Author Topic: e-rice down?  (Read 37923 times)

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
Re: e-rice down?
« Reply #175 on: October 30, 2014, 12:53:54 PM »
Wow! There is only 13 with mine.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #176 on: October 30, 2014, 02:03:36 PM »
I dont know how accurate it is. Took one URL "on my server" and put it in and mine doesnt show. Same thing with yours. Your URL has 13, but take one of those 13 and there's only 6 listed on the same server if you use one of those 13 URLs.
Tony

Offline ALITTLEweird1

• Mark
  • Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • North Bend Weather
« Reply #177 on: October 30, 2014, 06:29:29 PM »
Mine says 54
"Nature can do without man, but man cannot do without nature."

Software: WeatherDisplay
Hardware: Davis VP2 + VP2 Solar + VP2 UV + Lightning Detector + Logitech Webcam + Soil temp + Soil Moisture

Offline ke9lz

• De Pere - Athelstane Weather
  • Contributor
    • De Pere Weather
« Reply #178 on: November 03, 2014, 01:19:25 PM »
Looks like e-rice is down for good!  It was a good run!  RIP!
Steve (KE9LZ)
Athelstane Weather
Blitzortung 1177, 1565

Offline dpatrone

« Reply #179 on: November 03, 2014, 01:33:12 PM »
Yes, it was a good run. My site just went down a few minutes ago. I was hoping it would be up for a little longer since I just paid for a 2 year renewal a couple of months ago. Guess I'll be spending my next weekend off moving my site...

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #180 on: November 03, 2014, 01:49:25 PM »
Has anyone found out what really happened?

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
« Reply #181 on: November 03, 2014, 09:16:23 PM »
I liked E-Rice it was the right price and treated me well for 1 1/2 years my renewal was in January. I hope the ones that spent money for there renewals get there refunds i'd be ticked if they didn't :( RIP E-Rice.
Mike K.
Davis Vantage Vue 6250 - CumulusMX (3.21.1-b3205)
Gosport, Indiana
Gosportwx.com twitter.com/GosportINWX
-----------------------------------------------------------

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #182 on: November 03, 2014, 09:28:36 PM »
I know huh, I just renewed a few months ago, but I wouldn't hold my breathe. Is the site down now as well? I haven't checked that, just know my webpage and info are all down now. But I did backup all my stuff as suggested when it came back up and while it was up. Now looking for a new service. HostMantis looks promising, might give them a try, 30day MBG trial.   :?

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
« Reply #183 on: November 03, 2014, 09:31:07 PM »
I know huh, I just renewed a few months ago, but I wouldn't hold my breathe. Is the site down now as well? I haven't checked that, just know my webpage and info are all down now. But I did backup all my stuff as suggested when it came back up and while it was up. Now looking for a new service. HostMantis looks promising, might give them a try, 30day MBG trial.   :?

E-rice.net isn't loading. Kinda glad I moved to another host paid more but I didn't really have a choice.
Mike K.
Gosport, Indiana

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
    • Anthem North Parkside, AZ
« Reply #184 on: November 04, 2014, 12:34:15 AM »
I moved to kvcwebhost after some problems getting set up with fastwebhost. Several others moved to fastwebhost with no problems. I was talked out of hostmantis because of several things in their terms of service. Search the forums here and at weather-watch.com for suggestions.

Davis Vantage Vue, Davis Pro 2 Console with Wifi Logger
Weather Display software
WU: KAZNEWRI17
PWS: ANTHEMNP
CWOP: EW7526

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #185 on: November 04, 2014, 01:12:35 AM »
I liked E-Rice it was the right price and treated me well for 1 1/2 years my renewal was in January. I hope the ones that spent money for there renewals get there refunds i'd be ticked if they didn't :( RIP E-Rice.

I was with e-rice for nearly 6 years.  I was needing a web host that did php.  I was paid up until Feb.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline VE3XCM

• ve3xcm.ca
« Reply #186 on: November 04, 2014, 05:36:35 AM »
Anyone still looking for a new host, should check out webhostingtalk.com.

WHT is a great resource for offers from hosts and a good place to check reviews.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #187 on: November 04, 2014, 08:39:34 AM »
Well, since I am sure everyone has started "web hosting shopping", anyone have feedback on http://www.hosting24.com/index.php?

Greg H.

I did wind up going with Hosting24. It was more expensive than e-rice was, but it appears that "you get what you pay for" sometimes.

I considered bolting from e-rice well before this debacle. The "support" was non-existent. I raised tickets that I never got a response from. Hosting24 responded to my two support requests promptly.

My data stopped feeding a day after I set it up. The support staff rather quickly identified the problem, that their firewall was blocking my charter.net (domain or IP range, don't recall). He added the IP address to the "white list" and everything was back up and running. Took just a few minutes on the support chat function.

Hosting24.com has an interesting array of features on the CPanel, including an easy to set up blog (Nibbleblog).

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Gordon

« Reply #188 on: November 04, 2014, 09:07:04 AM »
Ugh...I'm done. I had no (gulp) backup...and the bulk of my pages were modified in one way or another. Didn't realize there was smoke on the horizon as I have been reading the previous posts. My site was still active as of yesterday (as well as my Wife's site for her business.)

I'm absolutely sickened by this. I would of been online for 10 years in a few months.

Any suggestions at all to retrieve my data?

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:02:10 AM by Gordon »
Gordon

<iframe src='https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/3512bdb6075043fba2e0fbf66996d8f0/signature' width='760' height='200' frameborder='0'></iframe>

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #189 on: November 04, 2014, 10:55:49 AM »
It went down on the original post date (I started this thread)

Apparently someone rebooted the servers and there was a "window of opportunity" that it worked again for a while.

Unless they re-start the servers again, you might be out of luck. If they do, I would download your files like mad and find a new host....

Wish you luck and that they come back up again....

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
« Reply #190 on: November 04, 2014, 08:43:49 PM »
Surely they could try to get the servers back up just for a few more days.. I know I'd be ticked if i lost almost 10 years of data. best of luck man and I'll be prayin for ya that the servers come up and you can back your stuff up.

Mike
Mike K.
Gosport, Indiana

Offline DaveNZ

• Howick weather station
« Reply #191 on: November 06, 2014, 12:25:42 AM »
Wow, after at least 2 years on e-rice I switched my weather site to a local web host around 2 months ago. Looks like I was lucky with the timing! I was paid up until April 2015 but was going to let my account lapse, with just a redirect notice to the new site on the home page.

I found e-rice was mainly trouble free (and very cheap), but as an aspiring web developer I felt I needed more server resources to work with. I also wanted the speed benefits of local hosting. Now my site is hosted in a data center located in the same city that I live in (Auckland, NZ).

Hope that you guys who paid up for years ahead can get their money back!

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #192 on: November 06, 2014, 01:34:17 AM »
Now, issues happen. Some are frustrating, and some are fixable... I recently suggested an alternate hosting.. and there was an immediate issue with one colleague who had issues... and part of that may have been my fault... here's what I received from the "host" support staff several days ago:

Hi ~~~,

Thank you for your patience. We communicated with ~~~via another ticket and are still awaiting his final response with verification and his decision to cancel or not. We did offer to point this in the direction of our managed hosting staff who usually handles usage and security issues. Although the service is reserved for paid managed hosting customers we offered their assistance out of courtesy, often times they can often resolve the usage problems.

We appreciate your response here, and no apology needed at all. ~~~. I understand why this was a frustrating experience for ~~~ and I want to express my sincere apologies on behalf of ~~~. This is definitely not your fault whatsoever.

I just think that with the limited phone support hours coupled with the critical issue he experienced it boiled down to bad timing. As I mentioned to~~~, we do hope ~~~ we can also expand our phone support offerings. We definitely want to keep our customers happy, you happy and all in all keep a tight program. Its important that new users get a good experience right out of the gate and although we strive for a 100% success rate there are variables like these that, when combined, simply make it or break it for some users.

We do apologize in advance if this was a 'break it' situation for~~~and we hope it doesn't tarnish the relationship we have built thus far. We do hope he considers staying with us and we will awaiting and see what he says next. We are constantly making changes and I think that this could be a catalyst for the way we handle usage issues on new accounts. If we can assist in getting the site configured the right way, even if the user doesn't pay for a managed solution, it would only make for a good experience using us. That should keep you happy, the user happy, and all of us here at ~~~happy in the process.

If you do have issues or want to come up with a plan to help those previous e-rice.net colleagues of yours over to ~~  I would be happy to spend some extra time making that process seamless for you. If at any time you need any other assistance you can feel free to reply to this ticket. My hours are 8:30 am - 5:00 pm pacific time Monday through Friday.

Best Regards, ~~~
~~~@l~~~

Phone: ~~~~ - Monday - Friday 7:00 am - 7:00 pm PST
                                      Sat - Sun 7:00 am - 3:30 pm PST    ]
Note, that as of today, ~~~~ has not responded to the 'host's' offer.. and there could be several reasons for this.. notably that 'E-Rice's" mail servers may not have been working.. who knows,... He may also be so frustrated that he chooses not to respond. Either way, he should at least cancel his account with ~~~~  and recover his expense. 
Now, should anyone wish to affiliate with this provider, I think I can help.. PM me.   No, they're not the "least expensive",... but they're pretty darn good.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 01:36:58 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #193 on: November 06, 2014, 06:57:39 PM »
Okay,, a bit premature, since all details haven't been worked out, or in many cases 'too late'... however,... I'm working on a deal for PWS folks, that should provide 'best service'... even with some inconveniences, possibly... at a good price... PM me for updates...
quote from potential host:
We would help with the transfer at no extra cost and if you have a current hosting contract, you can provide us an invoice and we can provide up to 6 months of added hosting from your remaining time on your existing plan.
Mike
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 07:02:17 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #194 on: November 07, 2014, 09:27:13 AM »
Need help understanding some terms as I search for a new host. I have my main page, domain. But I have/bought 3 of them. I have my .com one, my main one. I also have .net and .info. I think, or was doing a redirect for users if they happen to select the .net one would redirect to the .com one. When I look at hosting sites, I see the terms sub-domains and parked domains. Also see [allowed] 1 domain. Could some nice member here explain these to me and how they would apply to how I was running with the ones I have. Thanks in advance   :???:   Frank 

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #195 on: November 07, 2014, 09:43:33 AM »
Need help understanding some terms as I search for a new host. I have my main page, domain. But I have/bought 3 of them. I have my .com one, my main one. I also have .net and .info. I think, or was doing a redirect for users if they happen to select the .net one would redirect to the .com one. When I look at hosting sites, I see the terms sub-domains and parked domains. Also see [allowed] 1 domain. Could some nice member here explain these to me and how they would apply to how I was running with the ones I have. Thanks in advance   :???:   Frank

www.yourdomain.com   == 1 domain
support.yourdomain.com == 1 subdomain just as  photos.yourdomain.com is a second subdomain.

Most providers allow you "unlimited" subdomains as those only point to a folder in your primary domain, in this example the folder /support/ and /photos/ in the root of yourdomain.com

You have registred your other domains at some place, where you can redirect yourdomain.info and yourdomain.net to yourdomain.com.
So the visitor typing www.yourdomain.net will see the main  page of www.yourdomain.com.
That is normally what you want as you only need to maintain 1 website and just took the other .info and .net to make sure that no one else registred those similar names.

Hope this clarifies a bit?

Wim

Sorry:I forgot, you do not have to use the other domains. you can park them also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_parking
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 09:48:54 AM by wvdkuil »

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #196 on: November 07, 2014, 11:16:50 AM »
Excellent, thanks Wim. Ya, I don't use sub-domains from your description of this, and yes, I bought the other 2 domain names to reserve them. Since there are a lot of .com and .net ones, the .com is my main one, but for others that happen to type in .net, I redirect it to the .com one. So, reading your post, that would be correct. I have the 2 extra ones, they would be parked to reserve them. Can you redirect more than one? Redirect the .net one now, can I redirect the .info as well? Thank you for explaining this to me.   :-)  Frank
Oh, mine is a very basic site, mostly the screenshot of WD and a couple of other sub pages from the navigation links off my main page.  :lol:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 11:19:08 AM by Frank57 »

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #197 on: November 07, 2014, 11:22:26 AM »
Excellent, thanks Wim. Ya, I don't use sub-domains from your description of this, and yes, I bought the other 2 domain names to reserve them. Since there are a lot of .com and .net ones, the .com is my main one, but for others that happen to type in .net, I redirect it to the .com one. So, reading your post, that would be correct. I have the 2 extra ones, they would be parked to reserve them. Can you redirect more than one? Redirect the .net one now, can I redirect the .info as well? Thank you for explaining this to me.   :-)  Frank
Oh, mine is a very basic site, mostly the screenshot of WD and a couple of other sub pages from the navigation links off my main page.  :lol:
Normaly the registrar-company were you bought (hired) your domains allow you to redirect those domains. That is a simple DNS setting. Your "real" website does not know if the user originaly typed .net or .info  The webserver sees a request for .com.

Wim

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #198 on: November 07, 2014, 12:30:06 PM »
I like to know how many folks are actually coming into my tylertexasweather.com site via a redirect from my tylertxweather.com page. So, I just build an index page on tylertxweather.com with a META tag redirect to tytlertexasweather.com. I include my Google Analytics code on the tylertxweather.com page so I know how much activity it sees.

Steve
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 12:32:12 PM by SteveFitz1 »

Offline Frank57

• TyngsboroWeather
« Reply #199 on: November 07, 2014, 12:52:16 PM »
Normaly the registrar-company were you bought (hired) your domains allow you to redirect those domains. That is a simple DNS setting. Your "real" website does not know if the user originaly typed .net or .info  The webserver sees a request for .com.

Wim

Got it. Just clicked on the purchace button for KVChosting, went to GoDaddy to change the nameservers to there and on all 3 of them. In the KVC site, I added the parked ones and in that area, did a redirect for them to the main one. At Go-Daddy, do I have there as well?  I know it takes time, but for those who went to KVC, about how long did it take to finally work its way thru? average? Going to be nice seeing my site back up and running again, hopefully  :eek: