Author Topic: Rookie Boltek Questions  (Read 4411 times)

Offline LIWeather

• Senior Contributor
Rookie Boltek Questions
« on: May 14, 2012, 05:25:22 PM »
I have always been interested in lightning data and have been wanting to purchase a Boltek Lightning Detector for several years now. I am getting closer to pulling the trigger and have a few questions. I have searched the forum as well as followed several links from various posts. I have been looking on Boltek's site as well and I cannot seem to find the accurate answer. I may not fully understand the initial set up which is why I have these questions so go easy on me....

- What is minimum required equipment for lightning detection? To my understanding, the antenna and PCI card or detector.
- What are the main differences between the LD-250 & LD-350?
- Is it required to purchase the detector as well or can I just use an antenna & PCI card?
- What are the pro's and con's of not using a detector? I think this is where my confusion lies as I'm not sure if I need the box (detector) to capture lightning strikes.
- What the heck is the cost of just the antenna (if that is all that is required to capture lightning strikes) and PCI card (Stormtracker?)?
- Do both the 250 & 350 detect cloud to ground and cloud to cloud lightning? Does this just come down to the software being used to display the info?

I've been doing some research and would love to partner up or join forces with some of the others who use detection equipment in my area. Anything that can help deliver more accuracy and potentially save lives would be great.

I'm sorry if these seem like such basic questions but I for the life of me, cannot figure out what equipment/software is needed at minimum. Spending nearly $1,500 for lightning detection seems steep to me. I'm hoping I'm having a mindless moment with this and it is not nearly that expensive to start tracking lightning strikes.

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
Re: Rookie Boltek Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »
- What is minimum required equipment for lightning detection? To my understanding, the antenna and PCI card or detector.
Correct, you need to purchase the PCI card version (StormTracker) OR Non-PCI version (LD-250 or LD-350).
The antenna is included with the system.

- What are the main differences between the LD-250 & LD-350?
Here's a link to a comparison chart on the Boltek site: http://boltek.com/ProductComparison.html

- Is it required to purchase the detector as well or can I just use an antenna & PCI card?
The PCI card is a detector that is installed in a computer.  You don't need to purchase a separate detector.
If you purchase the 250 or 350 that is the detector, a PCI card is not necessary then.

- What are the pro's and con's of not using a detector? I think this is where my confusion lies as I'm not sure if I need the box (detector) to capture lightning strikes.
Not quite sure I'm understanding this question but I'll give it a shot.  You NEED either the box (LD-250 / LD-350) or the PCI card (StormTracker)

- What the heck is the cost of just the antenna (if that is all that is required to capture lightning strikes) and PCI card (Stormtracker?)?
Again, you NEED the antenna and it is included with either the 250,350 or PCI version of the detector.

- Do both the 250 & 350 detect cloud to ground and cloud to cloud lightning? Does this just come down to the software being used to display the info?
Yes, but of the two only the 350 gives the software the ability to classify the strike type.  The PCI version allows for strike classification as well.

I've been doing some research and would love to partner up or join forces with some of the others who use detection equipment in my area. Anything that can help deliver more accuracy and potentially save lives would be great.
If you use NexStorm as your software package you can join the StrikeStar network.  ;)
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 08:12:18 PM »
LIWeather
I think Larry answered your questions pretty good.  Good thing you posted, or you might have ended up with two complete lightning detectors...

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 10:02:59 PM »
LIWeather
I think Larry answered your questions pretty good.  Good thing you posted, or you might have ended up with two complete lightning detectors...

Andrew

+1

The StormTracker and LD-250/LD-350 are just different hardware options to do the same thing. StormTracker being a card installed in a PC and the LD-x50 an external box connected to a PC.
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline LIWeather

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 10:08:50 PM »
Larry thank you for taking the time to address my questions. It was very informative. I clearly overlooked the comparison tool on the Boltek site.

The stormtracker was throwing me off as I thought it was just another software being offered. Now that I understand I don't need a detector, I have to do some research on capturing and plotting software. Overall, I plan on incorporating it into a new website. So some functionality and ease of understanding is important. That is for another thread though.

I am glad I posted and now understand that it won't cost over a grand to get something set up. I was not in a position to spend $1,500+ on a setup. The stormtracker is far more attainable.

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 10:21:55 PM »
It used to be that Boltek included their own software, I understand that these days they package a lite version of NexStorm. A full version of NexStorm is an option, as is Lightning2000.

Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.