Author Topic: What would make you a raving fan?  (Read 27708 times)

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
Re: What would make you a raving fan?
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2012, 03:23:26 PM »
We're working on improving international support.  The new dataset we're interjecting makes this easier, whether US or non-US.  So we can pass that ease of use on to the end user.

I don't think your comments were negative at all.  Actually I wish I'd get more comments like yours.  No one seems to want to criticize.  Instead they just stop using the site which doesn't help either the user or us.   :roll:
Joe Torsitano

Offline ukwoody

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2012, 08:36:25 AM »
Joe, thanks for you comments, nice to know.

1 thing i forgot to menton, and I have a feeling someone earlier mentioned it, is on WU you have a table showing the results of other stations in your area at the same time as yours.  This is great  a) for general comparison  b) to see weather fronts coming across.  I personally look at that a lot, as I know some others do.

Woody

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2012, 03:28:31 AM »
If it's possible I would like to see an additional link perhaps under the "nearby" button drop-down menus, to bring one to nearby local personal/home weather stations. Right now the two choices are "Close Towns" and "Neighborhood Weather" neither of which gives access to personal weather station data.
Thanks for the suggestion.  This idea has been added to WeatherForYou.com.   8-)
Joe Torsitano

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2012, 11:23:08 PM »
Thanks, Joe. That turned out to be a nice navigation addition!
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2012, 09:00:22 AM »
This idea has been added to WeatherForYou.com.
Maybe not yet available in my area?  Komoka/London, Ontario Canada

Paul

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2012, 06:15:05 PM »
This idea has been added to WeatherForYou.com.
Maybe not yet available in my area?  Komoka/London, Ontario Canada
We're totally redesigning non-US location pages.  It'll be included in that update.
Joe Torsitano

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2012, 08:37:14 PM »
So when will we see the new WFY?

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2012, 12:41:08 AM »
So when will we see the new WFY?
I'm focusing more on putting the improvements into PWSweather that have been suggested.  I remain committed to promoting personal weather stations and improving that.  I am doing the WFY international improvements and have a WFY app on my Android right now I'm testing.  But the team is being directed to work on PWSweather.  Afterwards I'll decide what it will take to make WFY a habit like it was said WU is.
Joe Torsitano

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2012, 06:03:03 PM »
I'm sure you've got a lot on your plate, but how about facebook pages and iPhone/iPad apps?
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2012, 06:08:28 PM »
I'm sure you've got a lot on your plate, but how about facebook pages and iPhone/iPad apps?
WeatherForYou.com is on facebook and I'm testing an Android app right now which will eventually become iOS capable.

So what would it take for you to put your PWS ID in your signature?  I see you have almost all the other ones.

This is the ideas I'm looking for.  What would make you so proud to be part of PWSweather and WeatherForYou that you "sing it from the mountain tops" like everyone does for WU?
Joe Torsitano

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2012, 06:39:36 AM »
I've pretty much reached the 400 character max limit in my profile signature field here, but I did put a PWS link to my station observations on my facebook page!  http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/DW5051.html

Any thoughts on making an ad-free version of the WFY website available, for full-time data contributors?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 06:41:09 AM by JACK10562 »
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2012, 10:16:57 PM »
I've attempted to send a private message to the owner of WFY but both times have received nothing in return. Now I'll ask here.

Is it allowed to place your maps (areas of interest) on personal weather sites as long as there is proper credit given? If you would like a follow up on what exactly I mean let me know. Thank you.

Don in Ohio

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2012, 02:20:35 AM »
I've attempted to send a private message to the owner of WFY but both times have received nothing in return. Now I'll ask here.

Is it allowed to place your maps (areas of interest) on personal weather sites as long as there is proper credit given? If you would like a follow up on what exactly I mean let me know. Thank you.

Don in Ohio
I so rarely get PMs I don't check it unless I've asked for PMs.  :P

Most of the maps are provided by HAMweather and can only be used on WeatherForYou.com at this time.  One thing under discussion is allowing the maps for use by other sites.
Joe Torsitano

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2012, 02:44:58 AM »
Any thoughts on making an ad-free version of the WFY website available, for full-time data contributors?
I've considered it.  About eight or nine years ago I gave some bonuses to people who sent data.  Problem was they would ask for the perks and then stop sending data.  Right now I don't have a way to make sure only the people sending data would have the ad free access.  Also there's the problem of account sharing I've seen on other sites.  The ads on WeatherForYou.com do have to meet certain criteria which means a lot of the higher paying, more annoying ads are rejected.  And then ad blocking software takes a chunk out of our revenue.  Our margin is just too close right now to do it.  But just because we had an ad free version would that change the WU habit?  I don't see why.
Joe Torsitano

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2012, 08:21:01 AM »
I've considered it.  About eight or nine years ago I gave some bonuses to people who sent data.  Problem was they would ask for the perks and then stop sending data.  Right now I don't have a way to make sure only the people sending data would have the ad free access.  Also there's the problem of account sharing I've seen on other sites.  The ads on WeatherForYou.com do have to meet certain criteria which means a lot of the higher paying, more annoying ads are rejected.  And then ad blocking software takes a chunk out of our revenue.  Our margin is just too close right now to do it.  But just because we had an ad free version would that change the WU habit?  I don't see why.
Joe it might break the WU for me. I hate ads. Those damn things are everywhere and almost on every site. Now a days when you look at a Youtube video there is an ad you have to sit through for 15 seconds just to view it. Madison Ave has worked there way into just about every aspect of our lives and I can't stand it.
Does that answer your question.
I recently gave on Weatherlink and went to Cumulus. Since I did that I am now sending data to PWS.com. While on the WFY site this morning I was looking over the interactive map. I noticed under the currents tab that the temperatures, DP's etc were contoured, which is fine but why aren't the reporting stations listed on the map.

Offline Andy Thompson

• Southern Minnesota Live Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Madelia and Thompson Farms
    • Southern Minnesota Live Weather
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2012, 10:37:54 AM »
Joe it might break the WU for me. I hate ads. Those damn things are everywhere and almost on every site. Now a days when you look at a Youtube video there is an ad you have to sit through for 15 seconds just to view it. Madison Ave has worked there way into just about every aspect of our lives and I can't stand it.
I totally agree! And I just noticed it considerably more in just the past couple months. I remember the good old days two years ago when there was no such things as adds on YT.
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2012, 11:50:13 AM »

Don in Ohio
I so rarely get PMs I don't check it unless I've asked for PMs.  :P

Most of the maps are provided by HAMweather and can only be used on WeatherForYou.com at this time.  One thing under discussion is allowing the maps for use by other sites.

Yea that's what I figured. I know oh too well the shenanigans of a couple individuals who claim to work for HAM Weather and that doesn't surprise me. In closing I will tell you that you had better start checking many personal weather sites then for using their maps because many are doing it. I know of a couple right off hand.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2012, 04:15:45 AM »
I totally agree! And I just noticed it considerably more in just the past couple months. I remember the good old days two years ago when there was no such things as adds on YT.
CWOP is the same way. Ads that really disturb me are those which include items I've recently searched. Or those that include your home town. Now it doesn't feel safe to surf the web anymore.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

anything