Author Topic: USPLN Sensor Request  (Read 45088 times)

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: USPLN Sensor Request
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 07:28:30 PM »
Why do they ask about power and internet?  If you select 'internet only', do they offer a solar powered unit?  Is there a wireless option for the LAN access?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2017, 07:51:17 PM »
No wireless option unfortuantely.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2017, 07:57:49 PM »
That would probably be a killer.  I even unplug my IP camera during storms.

And I'm not sure I have a place outside the shadow of my house that I could get wiring to easily.  I'm not sure they'd like it above my metal roof.

But I know there's nothing else around me.  How do I know?  Because there is NOTHING else around me.

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2017, 07:58:49 PM »
Mine is above a metal roof.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 08:01:42 PM »
What about trees?  I've got a 60'+ Oak tree in front of the house.

Offline 44085weather

• 44085weather.com
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2017, 08:05:57 PM »
Mine is shipping Monday. I'm excited

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2017, 08:33:12 AM »
Why do they ask about power and internet?  If you select 'internet only', do they offer a solar powered unit?  Is there a wireless option for the LAN access?

Some routers have AP and "client" options. You could run an ethernet cable to the "router as client" and effectively have "wireless". My Blitzortung (and some other Raspberry Pi based gizmos) communicate from my garage to the house AP that way. I also use a small ZyXEL router this way for a Roku box and my old Gateway MP3 player that I didn't route Ethernet cables to.

As far as power goes, I don't know what is behind the question. They seem to advocate a UPS, but I am not going to add one out in the garage.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2017, 08:37:38 AM »
Some routers have AP and "client" options. You could run an ethernet cable to the "router as client" and effectively have "wireless".

Since mine is located on my shed and I don't have a hard wire run out there I'm using a wireless extender that has an ethernet port.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2017, 08:53:09 AM »
As a lightning enthusiast, I'm wondering if they have:

-siting requirements listed

-need for more sensors or are they full up

-any cost associated with contributing, that is do they furnish the equipment or is it like the FlightRadar where you set up the system and get access in return for your hobby investiment?

Thanks. Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2017, 08:59:16 AM »
I didn't see any siting requirements on their site. Contact them by filling out the form and they will contact you with that info if they can use your location.

It appears that they are currently covering most of the world. I would guess they are filling in some areas to get better and more accurate data.

They are no costs other than your internet and electric. Just be aware that you can not publicly share the data, it is for your own personal use.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2017, 09:00:42 AM »
I should have been a bit more specific as to their needs for a site.

With Blitz, you can literally be in the woods.  Do they (and the physics of why if they do require this elude me) a clear line of sight to the horizon or are trees (non-metalic) acceptable?

My Blitz works just fine in the woods. 
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2017, 09:04:33 AM »
I have no idea if trees are a problem. I know the metal pole that supports my Davis ISS was and I had to locate it away from that. See the photo of my install earlier in this thread. Best bet, fill out the form and include a note about the trees, I'm sure they will answer that.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2017, 09:06:21 AM »
Got the initial reply 'we believe an additional sensor in your area participating in the USPLN will help improve detection efficiency in the region' and responded to it.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2017, 09:08:10 AM »
Some routers have AP and "client" options. You could run an ethernet cable to the "router as client" and effectively have "wireless".

Since mine is located on my shed and I don't have a hard wire run out there I'm using a wireless extender that has an ethernet port.

That's what I'm considering since I've taken to unplugging the hardwire connection to the modem during storms.  Four or five computers, plus cameras, LAN switches, etc. lost to hits is more than enough.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 09:09:55 AM by WeatherHost »

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2017, 09:13:23 AM »
As a lightning enthusiast, I'm wondering if they have:

-siting requirements listed

-need for more sensors or are they full up

-any cost associated with contributing, that is do they furnish the equipment or is it like the FlightRadar where you set up the system and get access in return for your hobby investiment?

Thanks. Dale

In the initial reply I got, they included a PDF brochure with some siting basics, but they're not too detailed ... above roofline, unobstructed, clear 360 view, no electrical noise producers like welders, radio transmitters, etc.

Was is FlightRadar?

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2017, 10:46:01 AM »
Off Topic, replying to a comment:

https://www.flightradar24.com

You can set up a little Rasp Pi with a small antenna to listen to the planes' transponders and feed that to the flight folks who then plot plane locations.  Sort of fun, but they need a good tree-free view at that frequency.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline tstorm

• Contributor
    • Harpers Ferry Weather
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2017, 02:40:18 PM »
  Once everything is setup and you let TOA Systems know it took 2 weeks before my lightning data became part of the network.  TOA Systems needs to monitor the data your sending is of good quality.  They are working on being able to provide host sites how well their sensor is performing.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2017, 07:54:20 PM »
Hankster,
You mentioned your metal pole supporting the WxStation as a factor.  Was it close (I cant tell from the photos easily) or a house length away and they told you to move it or was causing detectable interfernce?  Just curious. Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2017, 10:21:52 PM »
I had it mounted on the same pole as the ISS. I moved to the other side of the house to get away from the shading of the metal pole.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2017, 08:40:48 AM »
I guess I won't hear any more from them until Monday.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2017, 05:10:51 PM »
Looks like those that signed up 2/23 or so got their stuff by 3/10, so a 3 week or less turn around time?

I sent my form in Friday and haven't heard back yet past the initial reply with brochures.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2017, 05:14:00 PM »
The request form doesn't seem to accept anything I type so maybe I am not in a needed area.

Paul

For some reason everything appeared to stay blank for me until I got to the comments field.  I went ahead and typed it all out and submitted what appeared to be a blank form, but it seems to have worked since I got the reply.

Try typing your replies out in Notepad, then pasting them into the fields.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2017, 08:37:11 AM »
Although it is still too cold and there is snow on the roof, I wanted to see if the module works with a bench test. I got the LEDs to light up and the box pulled an IP address OK and responds to pings.

I tried the USB connection, but it doesn't seem to be responding. I tried a "?" but I am not getting anything in the PuTTY session. I triple checked drivers, bit rate, 8N1, etc.

Anyone else tried the USB interface? Pointing a browser at the IP address resulted in nothing.

I don't know if not having the antennae connected would cause anything like this behavior, but I sort of doubt it.

Greg H.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2017, 09:37:16 AM »
Last line in one of the brochures says "Notify TOA Systems Technical Support that LPS-200 has been successfully installed."

I wonder if they have to activate it before you can see anything?

I got a duplicate initial reply, almost as if they didn't get my response for some reason.  Responded again this morning, so we'll see what happens. 

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2017, 11:25:13 AM »
Last line in one of the brochures says "Notify TOA Systems Technical Support that LPS-200 has been successfully installed."

I wonder if they have to activate it before you can see anything?

I got a duplicate initial reply, almost as if they didn't get my response for some reason.  Responded again this morning, so we'll see what happens.

I am guessing that the activation is so that their server starts accepting strike data. Since the USB interface is primarily for setting the DHCP or fixed IP setting, I would think that it would not require activation for that function, but you never know.

Greg H.