Author Topic: Wind Direction and Temp  (Read 907 times)

Offline Demoman

Wind Direction and Temp
« on: November 21, 2016, 01:35:06 PM »
I'm looking for a reliable weather station that can give me accurate wind direction/speed and temps to use when I head out deer hunting.  I'm not really worried about data logging or uploading to a weather site, just don't want to rely on a phone app to see what is going on at the farm.  On occasion, it would be interesting to see how much rain we got for my food plots...

I'm in a fairly open area and could mount it on top of my barn which would be pretty reliable or out in a field if its easier to keep the rain gauge clean.  I want something better than the $100 units you buy at the normal retailers as those don't seem to last very long.

Thanks

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: Wind Direction and Temp
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 03:15:12 PM »
Uh, old-time barnstorming airplane pilots used a piece of string for decades...worked fine...lasted a long time...dirt cheap.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline Demoman

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 03:57:16 PM »
LOL!  I could use a rock with a string to see if it's raining, but I like to be a bit more critical than that.  I've had a few times this year where the wind was to light to move my flags and the weather app said predicted wind was the complete opposite of what happened when the sun came up.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a Davis Pro or vantage vue unit, but not that familiar with them.  Also, I'm going to get one for my house and camp, so I want to make sure I get a reliable unit.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 04:42:49 PM »
Acurite
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 05:37:44 PM »
LOL!  I could use a rock with a string to see if it's raining, but I like to be a bit more critical than that.  I've had a few times this year where the wind was to light to move my flags and the weather app said predicted wind was the complete opposite of what happened when the sun came up.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a Davis Pro or vantage vue unit, but not that familiar with them.  Also, I'm going to get one for my house and camp, so I want to make sure I get a reliable unit.
I know of a deer hunter who used a small camo-colored kids helium-filled balloon on a short (6') length of string; he claimed it was the MOST silent & accurate wind-direction device possible.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

anything