Author Topic: Our wxforum WU community - turning the page  (Read 16736 times)

Offline crawdad62

Re: Our wxforum WU community - turning the page
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2019, 10:11:08 PM »
I still can’t believe we’re here moaning about thing and the company responsible is none other than Big Blue. IBM. WOW!

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2019, 10:35:40 AM »
It has been 48 hours since the forecast location update. The 10 day forecast shows my station however when selecting the calendar tab it shows an airport 60 miles away. Still confused....

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2019, 11:35:11 AM »
Being it's IBM, you'd think they'd ask Watson for some help getting these problems fixed.
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2019, 12:51:04 PM »
My personal opinion is they aren't doing anything to fix WU !!  They have the code already to add the decimal point and everything else they need from the "old" pages . The " old " pages are working without the maps and you cannot sign in anymore but they still have the decimal point in the weather .  All they would have to do is copy and paste the old code into the new format and BOOM it would be corrected . They have taken a one or two day job and made a career out of it .

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Forecaster
« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2019, 02:15:08 PM »
My personal opinion is they aren't doing anything to fix WU !!  They have the code already to add the decimal point and everything else they need from the "old" pages . The " old " pages are working without the maps and you cannot sign in anymore but they still have the decimal point in the weather .  All they would have to do is copy and paste the old code into the new format and BOOM it would be corrected . They have taken a one or two day job and made a career out of it .

If it were as simple as that it would have been done, ya' think. It has been stated before that none of the old system can be used.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 02:17:32 PM by Weatheroger »

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #130 on: June 12, 2019, 02:37:09 PM »

[/quote]
If it were as simple as that it would have been done, ya' think. It has been stated before that none of the old system can be used.
[/quote]

From what I could find IBM has owned WU and  Weather.com since 2015  . So they have had the " code" for over 4 years I believe . I think someone in there team is trying to reinvent the wheel instead of just making things work right . But that's only my opinion .

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #131 on: June 12, 2019, 02:44:50 PM »
From what I could find IBM has owned WU and  Weather.com since 2015  . So they have had the " code" for over 4 years I believe . I think someone in there team is trying to reinvent the wheel instead of just making things work right . But that's only my opinion .

Part of the problem is that they *DON'T* have all the source code.  Also, many systems were not well documented and the original developers are gone.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #132 on: June 12, 2019, 03:16:25 PM »
I thought it looked like steady progress. First Rapid Fire came back. Now my Webcam is working as of a week or so. Rome was not built in a day.

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #133 on: June 12, 2019, 10:17:42 PM »
Part of the problem is that they *DON'T* have all the source code.  Also, many systems were not well documented and the original developers are gone.
On top of that, we don't really know what development platform the old system used or what they are using in the new design. I spent my career in IT starting with IBM mainframes in the late '60s, going through the PC revolution in the 80's/90's, Y2K, Internet based web applications, smartphones. I lost count of the number of conversions, rewrites, application obsolescence and abandonment, false starts, etc. that I was involved with. But major upgrades/rewrites are never trivial, and often there is little beyond conceptual design that can be salvaged from the old system. I'm not saying IBM/WU is blameless in all the criticism they are getting … just that the fixes are probably not as simple as they seem like they should be looking in from the outside. 

… this is just a 2 cent observation from an old f@rt who doesn't really know what is going on at WU. I don't even own a weather station yet (waiting for the Acurite Atlas Elite before I decide what to get), but I sure hope WU is successful. I use WU all the time to monitor other stations in my neighborhood, and for the most part WU is reliable for that purpose. I suppose I may have a different opinion once I have a weather station of my own.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #134 on: June 12, 2019, 11:53:36 PM »
the missing decimals is not so much as a fix
it was likely it was not setup in the new api in the first place
and so that needs to be updated (and the underlying database)
and so they will need to wait until the coder who set that up is available

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2019, 12:50:49 PM »
I thought it looked like steady progress. First Rapid Fire came back. Now my Webcam is working as of a week or so. Rome was not built in a day.

But it did burn down in just 5 days...

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2019, 04:16:54 PM »
*DELETE*
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 04:18:56 PM by boss281 »
Weather Underground PWS KMDNEWWI3

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #137 on: June 16, 2019, 06:18:07 PM »
*DELETE*

Shame we can’t just do that to the WU hot mess re-deux. It’s stunning how many other pieces are broken throughout the entire website. If I believed they were actually invested in fixing things, I’d have a much lighter disposition.

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #138 on: June 16, 2019, 06:20:26 PM »
I have ripped just about anything WU -related from my site and have stopped sending data.....And you know what...It's nice not worrying whether your data is going to be there, time-delayed, not processed, etc...
Best decision ever! Huge load off.....

Offline AboutAndAround

« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2019, 06:12:38 PM »
Welp, the Horizon website was officially taken down, just redirects to the main WU page. Other methods still work.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #140 on: June 17, 2019, 08:05:16 PM »
Yep, Horizon and capital ID URLs Do not work now. This is what I got upset about the last time this happened, because they promised to keep the old site up till they fixed the major issues with the new site. That would include tenths decimals at least and perhaps some others issues like rounding and such. You can see these and other issues here.
https://trello.com/b/qTvFtwYd/weather-underground-issues

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2019, 01:47:51 AM »
Welp, the Horizon website was officially taken down, just redirects to the main WU page. Other methods still work.

Go figure...my "legacy" dashboard is still working.  \:D/

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2019, 05:33:29 AM »
I seemed to have lost webcam on old site. Otherwise still as latest "recovery".

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2019, 07:12:14 AM »
Ok, at this point, F Wunderground. Not only have they not added decimal temp to the new site, but they've now actively gone and removed it from the old site. Yet another bug as decimals temporary disappear.

June 13th:

June 18th:

Offline mdv

« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2019, 08:25:15 AM »
... Not only have they not added decimal temp to the new site, but they've now actively gone and removed it from the old site.

Old site still showing decimals for my PWS.

I notice the Summary table in your 18 June image had no values ... maybe you experienced a temporary glitch.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2019, 09:26:15 PM »
Ok, at this point, F Wunderground. Not only have they not added decimal temp to the new site, but they've now actively gone and removed it from the old site. Yet another bug as decimals temporary disappear.
You will find that their "old site" display code will not display "xx.0" as a decimal.  If your temp is (for example) 72.0 it'll display as "72".

Online BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
« Reply #146 on: June 21, 2019, 05:11:59 PM »
The WU Sun and Moon widget has shown no data for at least the past week.  Until now, I used it on my website and am hoping it will be restored or another similar one will replace it.

Offline rrwcf

• "How's the weather up there?"
« Reply #147 on: July 12, 2019, 10:55:46 PM »
@all WU managers
In the past half year I remained positive also because we were warned about upcoming changes. Also because Victoria Gardner was always present to assist between us and the development staff

I am SICK of WU's FAILURE to improve their site!  This morning I sent WU an ultimatum then, I posted this on the Disqus "Comment" tab (a lame substitution for the old "Status" feature):

NOTICE TO ALL- I’ve given WeatherUnderground two weeks to respond to my long list of complaints about their so-called “service”.
I’m sick and tired of the drops, losses, lame ads, lost features, empty promises, and their globologna fake-science brain-washing campaign.

IF I DON’T GET at least a response from them, I’ll take my data feed elsewhere.

WHAT YOU’LL SEE: Two sketchy PWS reports nearby and, IF YOU'RE LUCKY, once-in-a-while, I’ll restart my feed until WU drops their “Get” again.

LOOK at my station's historic data. Do you see gaps before the last six months? No. The quality and consistency goes back nearly 10 years. Check the APRS, CWOP and Fundu, and MADIS reports. See how gladstonefamily.net (an independent QC report) rates my PWS.

I’ve been loyal and consistent for a long time, but I’ve reached the end of my patience.

I will be providing high-quality data to some other network.

Problem is: Where will I take my data?  I thought WeatherBug was a possibility, but I don't see that they want PWS data.

Any Ideas?  I am really SICK of WU.

rrwcf

(Rom 1:16,17)
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
For therein is reve

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Forecaster
« Reply #148 on: July 12, 2019, 11:50:35 PM »
Good by! [tup]

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #149 on: July 13, 2019, 05:10:35 AM »
You can send them your data or not. They don't care. Issuing ultimatum is pointless. You aren't the customer, you are the product of which there are over 300,000 PWS. WU can afford to lose a few thousand stations as it might make their website better. WU can't keep up with the volume of data they're getting and it's costly.

If you want to make a difference then only way is to organize a global viral campaign on social media to boycott them. Only if this is successfully executed, will it make a difference. It would have to be picked up by the news media. WU would have to be exposed as being an IBM company (not that it is a secret) and perhaps other IBM services are also in the boycott.

There are plenty of weather services you can send your data to as you are already doing. But there is no true competitor to WU with the notoriety and with rapidfire instant live data.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:45:17 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole