Author Topic: WU - Let us know your issues  (Read 184319 times)

Offline WeatherNC

Re: WU - Let us know your issues
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2018, 01:34:56 AM »
I mentioned the status issue here and on the WU Trello board.  I think that will be lower on priority but I’ll keep asking.  I want it fixed also :???:

Offline PraveenC31

« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2018, 01:57:09 AM »
I have a new station up since around 2 days now. Like many others the major issue I am facing is holes in the data records in the archives which make the graphs look very bad. I am using rapidfire and I see that most of the time it shows "Station reported 4 seconds ago" or so. But the data points in the table are very irregular. Some gaps are as high as an hour even though I did view the data live in between that hour.

Station ID : IBANGALO9

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2018, 04:50:02 AM »
PS: One suggestion if I may.. I would like to see 'units' mixing on our PWS page. I use (as do most Brits) °C and MPH but you only allow °C and KMH or °F and MPH, if there was a way to mix it to how we like it, that would be grand!

Kind regards.

I'd like to second that suggestion. I use °C, MPH and inches for rainfall so even more of a mixture.

Thank you for making contact with your many users. It's nice to see a public face to WU.

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2018, 05:05:12 AM »
Could one of the webcam users who FTP their data tell us if the issues are resolved?
Under my list of webcams (I only have 1), it still show the red 'NO' as in not active. All of my settings are the same as when the cams were working, and still no webcam image is being linked to my station at call-sign KMELEEDS7. The cam ID is LeedsMECAM1.

Thanks again guys for letting us know the issues are being looked into/fixed. As others have mentioned, its frustrating when things aren't working, but even more frustrating when you can't get responses about what is going on, so to hear from you is a huge relief. Now we can know that things are being worked on!

Best,
   Matt

At the moment my FTP cam is now working. It’s set to update once every 5 minutes which it’s not doing (it’s updating sporadically but usually within 20 minutes), but at least it’s working! Hasn’t worked in almost 2 months!

Keep up the great work guys!
  Matt
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline Matt.j5b

• Ferny Grove Weather
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2018, 06:01:05 AM »
It's excellent to see that WU wants to get things right again. For my uploads many entries were uploaded and wouldn/t be displayed on WU. his is still occurring but not as frequent as it was before. Also recently when I edit the status note it would later revert back to the old note. Thanks you for reaching out to the community.
Regards Matt of Brisbane, Australia
Ferny Grove Weather
Davis Vantage Pro 2 with Cumulus MX

Offline steepleian

• The Claydons Community Weather
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2018, 06:11:31 AM »
With the old website interface it was possible to correct bad data. With the current format, it is only possible to delete it. Can the possibility to correct data be restored please.

Thank you

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2018, 06:24:39 AM »
My webcam is now showing (via FTP)

I still have a lot of PWS data going missing though - a rough estimate shows 50% of data uploads missing on the graphs.

Offline n4khq

« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2018, 07:08:23 AM »
Sean, Thanks for the post. You give me hope the service will be continued.  The webcams seem to go down more when users are checking for snow. I am guessing you don't have the server resources you need for the demand. One thought is limiting webcam image uploads to 10 minute intervals.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2018, 07:21:28 AM »
One thought is limiting webcam image uploads to 10 minute intervals.
Also force a disconnect after an upload to prevent users from sitting on a connection. Three servers with 10000 connections, that is 30000 total. Even if it takes 1 minute per upload (should be much less), at 10 minute intervals, that allows 300000 connections. Are there that many web cams?
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline noraval

« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2018, 07:24:49 AM »
I created an account here today to share my thoughts and experiences.

As with many others my PWS data and weather history graph is only receiving every 5-15 minutes although I can see the "last reported" refresh every 3-10 seconds.

The default temperature keeps reverting back to Fahrenheit on the 10 day forecast, very annoying..
Strangely enough this isn't an issue when using my Samsung S8 w/ chrome but I've noticed it does not save my customise settings when using my phone.

Something I'd like to see in the future is humidity on the history graph data, option to use m/s for wind and the wunderstation for Android.

I really hope the team at WU can address the problems at hand at the moment and I can appreciate the effort so far.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 07:38:19 AM by noraval »

Offline SuperJoe

« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2018, 08:01:02 AM »
Posted this on the Trello page too...

Data upload reliability and efficiency are the most important and pressing issues because without data input, you have no site. Sure, webcams are important, but the whole gist of the WU site is wx data.

Davis Vantage Vue ISS running weeWX 3.8.0 only 30%-70% data upload reliability.

From my wunderfixer utility in weeWX:
Date to check: 2018-01-14
Number of weeWX archive records: 288
Number of existing WU records: 191
Number of missing records from WU: 97
(33.7% missing)

Date to check: 2018-01-15 as of 2225 hrs CST
Number of weeWX archive records: 270
Number of existing WU records: 85
Number of missing records from WU: 189
(70% missing)

It could be that other members don't realize this is occurring because they're more interested in their webcams.

This my exact issue.  I am running same version of weewx. And is was working fine before the server issues.

Joe

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2018, 08:05:45 AM »
We were able to fix the wundermap tonight. Somehow we broke it when we pushed a fix for the subscribed users who were still seeing ads. We’ll continue with the webcams tomorrow. Just to let you know what impact you had, webcams was not even a priority before today and now it is our top priority.

Ben

I think the Priority needs to be in the loss of Weather data rather than the Webcam. Weather Data is more important than Webcams.
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2018, 08:08:02 AM »
The default temperature keeps reverting back to Fahrenheit on the 10 day forecast, very annoying..

Yep I can verify this too.
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2018, 08:58:37 AM »
We were able to fix the wundermap tonight. Somehow we broke it when we pushed a fix for the subscribed users who were still seeing ads. We’ll continue with the webcams tomorrow. Just to let you know what impact you had, webcams was not even a priority before today and now it is our top priority.

Ben

I think the Priority needs to be in the loss of Weather data rather than the Webcam. Weather Data is more important than Webcams.
I agree, Weather data should be first priority.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2018, 09:00:44 AM »
Even though I have two webcams trying to upload, I totally agree with Toxic.  The priority needs to be with the weather data.

Mark
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:32:21 AM by zackdog »
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2018, 09:05:59 AM »
Posted this on the Trello page too...

Data upload reliability and efficiency are the most important and pressing issues because without data input, you have no site. Sure, webcams are important, but the whole gist of the WU site is wx data.

Davis Vantage Vue ISS running weeWX 3.8.0 only 30%-70% data upload reliability.

From my wunderfixer utility in weeWX:
Date to check: 2018-01-14
Number of weeWX archive records: 288
Number of existing WU records: 191
Number of missing records from WU: 97
(33.7% missing)

Date to check: 2018-01-15 as of 2225 hrs CST
Number of weeWX archive records: 270
Number of existing WU records: 85
Number of missing records from WU: 189
(70% missing)

It could be that other members don't realize this is occurring because they're more interested in their webcams.

This my exact issue.  I am running same version of weewx. And is was working fine before the server issues.

Joe

Another addition for the beginning of 1/16/2018 @ 0732 hrs CST:
Date to check:   2018-01-16
Number of archive records:     78
Number of WU records:          11
Number of missing records:    67
(85.9% missing!!!!!)

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2018, 10:30:34 AM »
I am using Rapid fire and this is what my graphs look like today, so far.  All of the missing dots for wind direction and gusts are missing data.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Mark
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline HeloMech

« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2018, 11:09:31 AM »

Ben

I agree, Weather data should be first priority.

+2

Acurite #01075RM  5in1 W/ Access
Acurite #06016M    Color Display
Acurite #06058M    HD display
Acurite #06045M    Lightning Detector  (2)
Acurite #06002RM  Temp/Hum Sensors  (4)
Acurite #00827A1   What to Wear display  (for the camper)

Offline Dr__Bob

« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2018, 11:37:45 AM »

Yep I can verify this too.
Ha!  I have the opposite: it keeps reverting to celsius.  I don't really mind, since celsius is also OK, but why bother having a preference page when the preferences can't be saved (even though the page proudly announces that they have been saved.)

But I agree with others that data is more important than this or webcams.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2018, 11:50:52 AM »
I noticed also I cannot save any weather stations, I click on the yellow star in there forecast page but it don't save it.
KMIBADAX38

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2018, 12:00:48 PM »
seems like some cookie issue with WU regarding saved settings perhaps.
Regards Simon

Offline sho23

• KN6DZN
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2018, 12:08:13 PM »
Thanks for the forum presence, WU staff!

Some small comments:
- The solar radiation and UV index disappears when we go to Monthly trend view. It's there for all the other modes. I think (?) that it probably should've appeared on all of them?
- The ability to select some more options for station-down warning. Our data path is through a virtual desktop, and sometimes the IT pushes an update that force restart them without bringing it back online. If I have more options for warnings, I can respond faster and get the station back up sooner.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2018, 12:11:40 PM »
seems like some cookie issue with WU regarding saved settings perhaps.
Could be.
KMIBADAX38

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2018, 12:11:46 PM »
Any serious weather site like WU should have a way for stations to use a "precipitation year" or "water year" different than the calendar year. Depending on where you are In California and what agency is involved, we use either July 1 or October 1. It makes using archival WU data difficult.

I asked WU support about this a few years ago and was summarily shut down.

Compared to the basic usability issues you are confronting, this is rather low level, since it has never been properly addressed. Still, it should be done. 

Offline aulen2002

« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2018, 12:45:54 PM »
My priorities

1) weather data seems to be (close) to back to normal. Graphs showing fine at the moment.
2) restored webcam functionality.

With the webcams scheduled to be removed, I switched to another free hosting site. When that decision was rescinded, i tried to switch my FTP camera to a URL camera (pointing to my other host current image), which didn't seem to work but then all the WU issues....  So, now that functionality seems to be returning it still is not functioning. I suspect it could be the second provider blocking the WU fetching, so am attempting to switch back to sending FTP to WU and have the second provider fetch the image from WU. HOWEVER at the moment WU does not seem to be saving camera setting changes (like adding camera type text field) and while now indicating a FTP camera, and accepting camera FTP uploads, clicking my camera link still takes me to the other providers image.

EDIT: and with that, it seems to have started functioning somewhat. Good work WU, quick response ;)  Image is still older than what was sent via FTP.

INOVASCO174
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 01:04:30 PM by aulen2002 »