Author Topic: 5 in 1 disassembly tips  (Read 741 times)

Offline WetCoyote

5 in 1 disassembly tips
« on: September 19, 2017, 10:55:02 AM »
Going to be taking the station down tomorrow to open it up and "blow" the dust / bugs out.

Anything to be careful about while opening it up, and what might be some things to look for that needs some TLC that might not be obvious. 

This summer I had "solar heating issues" according to the CWOP page, so how can I tell if the fan is running to speed? Obviously if its not turning at all there is an issue, of course.  Im just curious to know if its running as fast as it needs to be.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Re: 5 in 1 disassembly tips
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 10:59:01 AM »
be careful with the wires from the anny to the board. 
I pulled mine out this summer but was able to easily fix with a soldering iron.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=32333.msg327489#msg327489

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: 5 in 1 disassembly tips
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 11:19:55 AM »
If the fan doesn't run rapidly, and starts slow in the sun when you have it apart from the rest of the casing, you should probably replace the motor, or that section. If you pop off the fan blade, you can lubricate the shaft, with some thin oil like sewing machine oil, etc... this fixed mine right up. To take off the fan, take thumb and first finger around it and pull it straight off. Another method is to take a small flat screw driver and put it against the back and pull a little at a time working the screw driver around evenly until it pops off.

anything