Author Topic: LaCrosse WS-2800 series wind sensor  (Read 2864 times)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
LaCrosse WS-2800 series wind sensor
« on: April 18, 2014, 08:55:36 PM »
Just a heads up to anyone using this type of station. I just encountered the wind data loss symptom after almost 4 1/2 years after the installation. All the reset processes, battery swaps etc. had no effect to bring it back. After opening the the wind sensor up to check it out I noticed the solar panel connection to the circuit board corroded to the point of disconnecting. After cleaning it up and re-soldering the connections it came back to life and has been running without drop outs again. I'm suspecting the 3 little "weep holes" around the bottom let enough humidity in and caused this to build over the years. The connection must have deteriorated and the sensor continued for a while until the RAM batteries could no longer support it. They both read about 1.2v when I checked them. After the corrections where repaired they started charging back up and once they reached 1.4v I buttoned it all back up and remounted the sensor. 3 days so far and all is back to normal. I probably should have coated the solder joints with something to prevent this from happening but didn't think about it at the time.

Offline AbuMaia

• Collector of Hobbies
Re: LaCrosse WS-2800 series wind sensor
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 02:05:51 PM »
How did you open your anemometer? The cups have stopped spinning on mine, and I need to get inside it to find out what the problem is.
You do NOT have the right to try to force another person to live THEIR life according to YOUR beliefs, unless you accept FULL RESPONSIBILITY for their actions.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 06:32:54 PM »
How did you open your anemometer? The cups have stopped spinning on mine, and I need to get inside it to find out what the problem is.

You won't need to open the anemometer to free up the cups. The cup assembly is press fit on a sealed bearing. In the bottom where the cups are attached there is a small plastic plug that you need to pry out. After this is pulled out then the cups can be pried off also. Everything is pressed on.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 07:01:29 PM by DanS »

Offline AbuMaia

• Collector of Hobbies
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 08:11:46 PM »
Thanks, that helped. :)

I found that the bearing is bad, and is the cause of the cups not spinning anymore. At least in one direction. I flipped it over, and it spins just fine. I have it installed again, but I also have a replacement bearing ordered. It should run as normal until the new bearing arrives, then I can replace it.
You do NOT have the right to try to force another person to live THEIR life according to YOUR beliefs, unless you accept FULL RESPONSIBILITY for their actions.

anything