Author Topic: LaCrosse Wireless Internet Gateway Model GW1000U ERF-100  (Read 139344 times)

Offline markmanxp

Re: LaCrosse Wireless Internet Gateway Model GW1000U ERF-100
« Reply #175 on: April 11, 2014, 05:06:44 PM »
Hi there.

Thanks skydvrz for setting up username/password to use your ssServer Dbase.   Unfortunately I'm running into troubles.   I've skimmed this thread a few times and verified my ssServer settings over and over but something isn't right.  I followed the instructions in the readme file a few times now trying to pinpoint the issue.   I configured the ssserver to idk.serveftp.net port 3307 and logged in with my acct from skydvrz.  I ran and configured the GAS as instructed but no data ever shows in the SSserver window fields.   

Also, I presume since I'm basically changing how/or where it is sending its data that I will no longer be submitting it to my lacrossalerts site.   What if I wanted to (even if temporarely) reconfigure it to submit the data to LacrosseAlerts ?  Would I use the GAS to do so or do I have to register it per the la crosse docs)

Thanks for any help!

Mark
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 05:08:32 PM by markmanxp »

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #176 on: April 11, 2014, 05:32:18 PM »
Hi there.

Also, I presume since I'm basically changing how/or where it is sending its data that I will no longer be submitting it to my lacrossalerts site.   What if I wanted to (even if temporarely) reconfigure it to submit the data to LacrosseAlerts ?  Would I use the GAS to do so or do I have to register it per the la crosse docs)

Thanks for any help!

Mark

You are SURE that you used your local network address E.G. 192.168.1.xxx at the bottom of the GAS (just past the Use checkbox at the bottom) and there is a checkmark in that box.  The address you entered here is probably the same IP as the one listed at the top of GAS (PC-IP) minus the leading 1:    You then clicked on Set, waited and then clicked on Reboot.  Skydvrz may be able to add to this.

Once you do have ssServer set up, data no longer goes to LaCrosse.  To return to LaCrosse, just uncheck Use at the bottom of GAS, Hit Set and Reboot. Wait and data should be going back to their site.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 05:35:44 PM by 10ACTony »
//
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message though a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #177 on: April 11, 2014, 05:42:52 PM »
I've skimmed this thread a few times and verified my ssServer settings over and over but something isn't right.  I followed the instructions in the readme file a few times now trying to pinpoint the issue.   I configured the ssserver to idk.serveftp.net port 3307 and logged in with my acct from skydvrz. 

I am not seeing any MySQL traffic from you.  Were you able to log in successfully?  You should see an error dialog box or a progress bar appear when ssServer sends me a bug report upon login failure.  BTW, I don't have a "Mark" in my users list.  Did you use a different email name?  I base your login on your email address.

I had a bunch of Mantis errors recently with someone entering " idk.serveftp.net" <- note the leading space.  That is not a valid database hostname.  Could that have been you?  If so, remove the space and try again.  Also, if you leave the hostname blank, ssServer will try to connect to a local MySQL server (and fail) on the same PC.  Someone tried that recently too :-)

I ran and configured the GAS as instructed but no data ever shows in the SSserver window fields.   

You need to let it run for a few minutes.  The Gateway only sends Sensor Data Packets (SDP)  every 3-15 minutes.  Be patient :-)

You are simply changing where the Gateway sends its data.

Just shut off the proxy settings with GAS, click the save button (or whatever it says).  Wait a few seconds for the new settings to store, then click the Reboot button in GAS.

Any time you change settings in GAS, you have to do the save/pause/reboot dance or the settings won't "take".

After removing the proxy settings, your Gateway should begin reporting to La Crosse again within a few minutes - again, be patient.  La Crosse has a minimum update interval of 15 minutes, downhill, with the wind at your back (pardon the pun).  The La Crosse server can go to sleep for hours - as you might have noticed.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #178 on: April 11, 2014, 05:43:41 PM »
10ACTony:  Good catch on the IP address thing.  I had forgotten about that.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #179 on: April 11, 2014, 05:53:57 PM »
Hey! I just checked the MySQL server stats - we just went over 1 million individual weather sensor readings since the start (11 Jan 2014) of this project!  Don't worry - I have several Terabytes of disk space left.  8-)

Also, you guys will be hosting your own mini-databases in the next version - no more free rides :-)

Offline markmanxp

« Reply #180 on: April 11, 2014, 06:11:43 PM »
I just reran the setup from scratch all over again and we have a winner!  I'm going to enjoy skydvrz db free ride for now!  Thanks everyone!

And the upload to Weather Underground is working also!  SWEET!  This is sooooo cool!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:18:38 PM by markmanxp »

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #181 on: April 11, 2014, 07:11:19 PM »

Also, you guys will be hosting your own mini-databases in the next version - no more free rides :-)

=D&gt;      :grin:
//
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message though a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #182 on: April 11, 2014, 07:14:03 PM »

And the upload to Weather Underground is working also!  SWEET!  This is sooooo cool!

We are SOOOOO lucky that skydvrz just happened to buy the same product and decided to show what real software can do.  Without him we'd be SOL.   :sad:
//
//

Offline markmanxp

« Reply #183 on: April 12, 2014, 12:48:06 PM »
Quick question, on the local web page launched from the ssServer Open Browser button is there a way to configure the time zone?  The page shows pacific time it appears and I'm in the central time zone.    Another one,  finally got some rain since I installed my PWS a few days ago.   The ssServer shows Rain Fall .45 (in).   The La Crosse PWS Display shows Total Rain Total of .44.   Is this just a cause of rounding or how it's done with the different displays (Wunderground vs SsServer vs PWS Display)?

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #184 on: April 12, 2014, 02:05:55 PM »
is there a way to configure the time zone? 

Not currently.  The next version will store everything in local time - actually the current time at the MySQL database server.  The database will likely be at your house, not mine.  :grin: 

The Wunderground updater converts local time on your PC to GMT before sending it to WU, so that one should be OK no matter where your database server is located.

The ssServer shows Rain Fall .45 (in).   The La Crosse PWS Display shows Total Rain Total of .44.   

La Crosse probably uses a different Metric to American units algorithm than I do.  They usually match what I calculate, but sometimes not. The RG actually reports in Millimeters, IIRC, so I have to scale it to Inches.

Here is the calculation:

Code: [Select]
FUNCTION TsssDm.GetRainfallIn(RF : TRainFallArray) : Double;
BEGIN
    Result := ((DisplayToDigit(RF[0]) * 10.0) + (DisplayToDigit(RF[1]) / 10.0) + (DisplayToDigit(RF[2]) / 1000.0)) * 0.0393701;
END;

RF is a 3 byte block of BCD-encoded binary in the SDP.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #185 on: April 12, 2014, 07:25:34 PM »
I am finally making headway again!  I gave up on the &$#(*! InstallAware installer creation software I was using and switched to a newer one - Inno setup.  This is a brand new/steep learning curve that I have to crawl up, but I am finally able to complete most of an install and have it actually function.  InstallAware 7 (the only version I have) was screwing up the service install such that it would hang on start up.  The new version of InstallAware is $1000, so I think I will give it a miss.  Inno is open source / free.  I like free.  ;)

Inno is letting me get a lot farther, so I am highly optimistic.

It is not ready for prime time - there are a couple manual steps I have to do to finish a given install, but I hope to figure out how to do that with Inno code soon.

Other news:

I added a link to the SkySpy mini-web site page that points to your Wunderground graphs and tabular data.  If you click it, it jumps your browser to your PWS page.

Offline markmanxp

« Reply #186 on: April 13, 2014, 09:03:21 PM »
Can't wait SkyDrvz! 

Offline keckec

« Reply #187 on: April 14, 2014, 10:51:46 PM »
Mycal and Skydrvz, thank you both very much for all your hard work in decoding the packets going back and forth to the Lcx gateway. I set up an Apache server with Mycal's php code, and adapted from Skydrvz's decoding of the data block. Amazingly, I'm intercepting and saving data to a text file. Next step is the database.

One thing I noticed is that the BCD temperature outputs seem to be in tenths of degrees C. In the equation:
Result := (I * 0.18030) - 40.15
the 0.18030 may actually be a degree C-to-F conversion scaled to 0.1 deg (9/5 * 0.1). Also, 40.15 probably should be 40.0. It appears they avoid negative numbers in the BCD data by adding 40 deg C to temperatures before the gateway sends it out, then subtract it in software downstream. Anyway, I think (I / 10.0 - 40) will get degrees C. Then make the standard conversion to F.

I also found some additional date fields. Maybe you've already found these, Skydrvz. It appears some of the date fields span 6 bytes of output, and are offset right by 4 bits. So the first BCD digit of the year is in the lower 4 bits of the first byte. It goes on from there one BCD nybble at a time, with the last digit of the minute output in the upper nybble of the 6th byte. In some cases the next date field starts in the lower 4 bytes of the 6th byte of the previous date field. So there's overlap in bytes, but not in nybbles.

These are the offsets in the post data of the date fields I have so far, including ones from Skydrvz. The asterisk indicates ones that span 6 bytes and start with the lower nybble of the first byte. All the others span 5 bytes and start with the high nybble.

0x04* Max Indoor Temp
0x09* Min Indoor Temp
0x16* Max Outdoor Temp
0x1b* Min Outdoor Temp
0x28* Unknown
0x2d* Unknown
0x3A  Max Indoor Humidity
0x3F  Min Indoor Humidity
0x47  Max Outdoor Humidity
0x4C  Min Outdoor Humidity
0x6A  Unknown
0x75  Unknown
0x80* Last Rain Reset Time
0x89  Unknown at initial date/time? 1/1/2013 00:00
0x98  Time of Max Wind Gust
0xB6  Unknown
0xBB  Unknown
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:03:02 AM by keckec »

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2014, 01:24:58 AM »
Thanks KecKec!  I'll check your findings out in the morning - its been a long day!

If you can figure out how to set the clock on the LCD display reliably then that would be fabulous!  I still have not figured out how to do that and can use all the help I can get on this one step.

Back to SkySpy...

I got the SkySpy installer / deinstaller working finally!   \:D/

I will be doing a release of the new Windows service version probably tomorrow.  I am writing the manual now.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2014, 12:38:42 PM »
The transaction problem I'd really like to solve is the 5-byte send / RTC response packet.    This is the 38 byte 01:01 packet the server is supposed to send in response to the Gateway sending an 01:01 5-byte request.  The clock on my LCD display is slowly drifting, since it is not getting valid Real Time Clock (RTC) reset responses from SkySpy.  SkySpy puts the correct time in the RTC packet, but the LCD display ignores it since there is some sort of handshake problem.

Probably no big deal since clock drift is entirely cosmetic.  The time shown on the clock does not affect the timestamps on the data sent to WU.

I hate inaccurate clocks though. I even wear an atomic-clock wristwatch that syncs with WWVB every night  8-)

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2014, 12:53:35 PM »
One thing I noticed is that the BCD temperature outputs seem to be in tenths of degrees C. In the equation:
Result := (I * 0.18030) - 40.15
the 0.18030 may actually be a degree C-to-F conversion scaled to 0.1 deg (9/5 * 0.1). Also, 40.15 probably should be 40.0. It appears they avoid negative numbers in the BCD data by adding 40 deg C to temperatures before the gateway sends it out, then subtract it in software downstream. Anyway, I think (I / 10.0 - 40) will get degrees C. Then make the standard conversion to F.

Yes, I used the same initial calculation as you, but got some inaccurate numbers. 

The tweaks to the formula were arrived at empirically to make the calculated Fahrenheit temp match what the LCD display shows.  My numbers are typically +- 0.1 F of what my display says.  I drew graphs and re-jiggered the slope-intercept values for minimum error, measured against what the LCD says.  I even put the temp sensor in my freezer for an hour and later hit it with a blow dryer to check the cal curves.

Maybe I have simply recreated a bug in the LCD display code :-)

Offline keckec

« Reply #191 on: April 15, 2014, 01:37:05 PM »
The transaction problem I'd really like to solve is the 5-byte send / RTC response packet.    This is the 38 byte 01:01 packet the server is supposed to send in response to the Gateway sending an 01:01 5-byte request.  The clock on my LCD display is slowly drifting, since it is not getting valid Real Time Clock (RTC) reset responses from SkySpy.  SkySpy puts the correct time in the RTC packet, but the LCD display ignores it since there is some sort of handshake problem.

Could this be a checksum problem? Does the gateway use any other data that you send it, which might confirm that it is happy with the checksum?

mycal appends a straight 8-bit sum when he sends packets to the gateway. Using that algorithm doesn't seem to match the checksum in the post data I receive from the gateway. I've also tried an 8-bit exclusive or but that doesn't agree either. I'll experiment with some others.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #192 on: April 15, 2014, 01:51:40 PM »
Could this be a checksum problem? Does the gateway use any other data that you send it, which might confirm that it is happy with the checksum?

I don't think the hardware actually checks checksums :-)  Checksums are a bit superfluous when using TCP/IP anyway.

It may be some sort of revenue protection feature, buggy firmware or clueless newbie programmers unaware of TCP/IP intricacies.

The 5-byte send that the GW does contains some random looking bytes at the end of the packet that don't seem to correspond to any sort of sensor readings and is probably not a checksum.  Might be the result of some previous step in a state-machine. 

mycal appends a straight 8-bit sum when he sends packets to the gateway. Using that algorithm doesn't seem to match the checksum in the post data I receive from the gateway. I've also tried an 8-bit exclusive or but that doesn't agree either. I'll experiment with some others.

I tried MyCal's method in SkySpy and noticed the same thing.  This needs more research. 

He also says he could adjust his LCD clock, but I have not been able to duplicate that result.  I'd like to see some code that uses dynamic values instead of hard-coded constants like MyCal's example.

Shoot me some PHP code if you make any progress.  I speak PHP.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #193 on: April 15, 2014, 08:42:28 PM »
Good news!
Here is a link to the next generation of SkySpy:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/omy7kmg4huhlwe8/SkySpyInstall.exe

Here is the user's manual, if you want to read about it before downloading:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/brnz7jesdvvbmg5/ReadMe.pdf

Oops! <edit>

I forgot to add the schema info to the installer for the folks that want to use their own MySQL database.  Here is a link to the MySQL script to create the schema and tables.  You do not need this if you use the embedded database!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rlbdmp4gohnp1vx/weather.sql

The schema allows multiple users to share the same tables, so you can buddy-up with someone willing to host the database server.  Any MySQL server can probably handle several hundred users of this app - given enough hard disk space. 

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 08:52:46 PM by skydvrz »

Offline Scott_A

« Reply #194 on: April 15, 2014, 08:44:07 PM »
Long time lurker but loving what I am seeing. I have an Ubuntu server running 24/7 at home so would prefer a php solution but it might be good to try to use the same database schema as skydvrz so that any windows front end stuff can connect to the same database.
Here I am the freeloader giving instructions... sorry.

A big thanks to all who have contributed!

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #195 on: April 15, 2014, 08:51:14 PM »
Deleted

#-o
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 12:28:33 AM by 10ACTony »
//
//

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #196 on: April 15, 2014, 08:53:36 PM »
10ACTony: see my edited post. Let me know if you have any problems.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #197 on: April 15, 2014, 09:03:25 PM »
I see I forgot to add the utility schema script for MySQL.  I will have to do a little more work on SkySpyService before you can use it on your own MySQL server.  Sorry about that!

Offline markmanxp

« Reply #198 on: April 15, 2014, 09:58:34 PM »
Beautiful work!   I could use my SQL Server Express local Dbase correct?

I have never used mySql but use MS SQL all the time at work and SQL Express.   The script file you provide won't work with these without some modificcation.  From my own research I found this

"I think, you can start mysql in ANSI mode and generate the scripts
with this standard which is ready to use in SQL server with no
modification. see the following page for more details:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/ANSI_mode.html"

I know you are busy so please no hurry, but would you be able to provide this script so it's compatible for us with MS SQL ?   Thanks a ton.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 10:09:05 PM by markmanxp »

Offline markmanxp

« Reply #199 on: April 15, 2014, 11:01:48 PM »
No Luck.   Closed previous running and working ssServer and installed the new SkySpy.   Opened the monitor and after 25 minutes the readings still haven't updated.   The Last Packet Type has shown everything from Ping Received, to DSP Received, to RTC Packet Received but after 25+ minutes still no updated weather readings.  Rebooted and same behavior.  Any suggestions?

Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit

---
I stopped the SkySpy Server Service and closed the monitor.  I launched the ssServer instead this time and within 5 minutes it was filled with data.  Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 11:11:09 PM by markmanxp »

anything