Author Topic: Wind Vane Problem  (Read 3544 times)

Offline basenji9

Wind Vane Problem
« on: December 31, 2007, 04:29:17 PM »
Just got back from helping my brother set up my old LaCrosse 2308 station at his house and all went well so it seemed....Everything is showing on console and on WD on computer correctly except wind direction. For some reason wind direction is pegged on SW in spite of steady wind between 4-12 MPH. Vane is moving with wind shift but no change on read out. This station was just bought by me, new, about a month ago and worked without any problem till now. We tried wired and wireless but no difference. One thing that seemed odd was on WD Wind Direction Plot Over Time chart here were evenly spaced single dots at NNW, NW, and W before pegging a straight line on SW. These were not the wind at the time so don't know why it did that. I made sure to box every thing up in original package before taking over his house and re-assembling everything. Any ideas about how to correct this problem? I think it is starting to seem to me like a warranty issue.
Carl H - Pitman, NJ
Davis Vantage Pro2

Offline Hfcomms

• Big Bay, Mi - Local Weather
Re: Wind Vane Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 09:13:33 PM »
Did you try re-initializing it??

Offline msdawg911

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 09:46:29 PM »
It very well could be a warranty issue. LaCrosse wind vanes are known for their communication problems. I had trouble with my old one (which is why I changed to a 1-wire station).

You might want to look at this page: http://www.lavrsen.dk/sources/weather/windmod.htm
He rewired his wind vane to get rid of some data spikes. The issue you're describing could be related to that.
Jake Hughes
Mississippi State University
Professional Meteorology Student

GR2Analyst, WXSIM
Former user of: Weather-Display, WS2310, 1-wire station, WUHU, CoCoRaHS, Saratoga-Weather's and Carter Lake's numerous PHP/AJAX scripts

Offline basenji9

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 05:16:47 PM »
Wind vane working fine now. Should have got back sooner, but wind vane started working fine yesterday morning. Don't know what that was all about but hopefully it wiil keep working.
Carl H - Pitman, NJ
Davis Vantage Pro2

Offline Eaglek

• Maryborough Qld. Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 03:25:59 PM »
If it happens again, and it is a bright and sunny day, you may need to wrap some black insulation tape around it, just below the part that rotates to show wind direction. From what I could find out with my 3610 (and others) the sun effects the direction sensor making it look as if the wind comes from the same direction, no matter what.

anything