Author Topic: 6152 Wireless Vantage Pro2 - SOFTWARE???  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Grinder12000

• Columbus WI Weather
6152 Wireless Vantage Pro2 - SOFTWARE???
« on: December 15, 2014, 09:33:54 AM »
I'm purchasing a 6152 Wireless Vantage Pro2 and tossing my OS after 7 years and numerous problems-

My wife is looking for Christmas presents - is there separate software I need to upload to the internet??

Anything separate she can purchase?   Looking for ideas?   

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: 6152 Wireless Vantage Pro2 - SOFTWARE???
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 09:45:18 AM »
You will need to buy as an extra the data logger (such as the Weatherlink USB, or serial, or IP kit) to connect the Davis VP2 to a computer, or to a router if you get the WeatherlinkIP.  The Weatherlink kits comes with datalogger and software that will allow you to upload to other sites such as Weather Underground and CWOP, and to your own website.  But other third party software such as VWS and the free Cumulus (donation ware) offers more to suit your own needs - and more online support.

A webcam would go good with uploading your weather information!

Enjoy,
Paul

Online wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 09:48:09 AM »
I'm purchasing a 6152 Wireless Vantage Pro2 and tossing my OS after 7 years and numerous problems-

My wife is looking for Christmas presents - is there separate software I need to upload to the internet??

Anything separate she can purchase?   Looking for ideas?
A logger is needed to connect the 6152 to a computer/upload-device. It will fit in the back of the console. I hope you included a logger already.

It is good to know that every Davis logger comes with Weatherlink (PC) software which can do the uploading for you.. The USB logger can also be ordered in a Mac version.

The IP-logger also includes the weatherlink PC program, but it does not need a weather-program to upload.  The IP-logger itself in default configuration already uploads to  WL.com and can be instructed to do the upload to WU also.

So if you want to be the most flexible => use the ip-logger
If you have a PC / server 24/24 you can use a USB logger.

If you already ordered a logger but do not want a PC 24/24 to run, you could also ask SantaClaus for a Meteobridge. A small device which is connected to the logger inside your console and will do all the uploading to the WU's of the wolrd, can send emails, twitter. And it can upload to your weather-website.
Ambient for the US does sell  the Meteobridge but named it "Weatherbridge".

Wim
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 09:51:04 AM by wvdkuil »

Offline Grinder12000

• Columbus WI Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 11:33:31 AM »
Have not ordered anything yet.   I figured I would order this! 

So if I order the Davis Vantage Pro2 and WeatherLink Package - do I still need a logger?

Are there three pieces to this?  The VP2 / Logger / weatherlink?   Or is logger/weatherlink the same thing?

Rainman Weather does not exactly make it clear what is needed / included.  I never see the logger mentioned anywhere,

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 11:41:51 AM »
The logger and software come as a package. You can not buy them separately.    I have the USB weatherlink logger.  You can usually buy the station and logger as a package and save a few dollars.

Like this    http://www.scientificsales.com/product-p/6152-6510usb.htm

Offline Grinder12000

• Columbus WI Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 11:50:46 AM »
Bingo - thanks - that's what I've been looking for but was floundering !

Thanks

anything