Author Topic: Earthquake Monitoring Program  (Read 27339 times)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Earthquake Monitoring Program
« on: February 08, 2009, 08:20:30 PM »
Anybody interested in helping monitor for earthquakes?  There's a program underway by the Quake-Catcher-Network (Stanford University) to get accelerometers connected to people's computers and cover the continent like we are covering it with PWSs.

Here's the link:

http://qcn.stanford.edu/about/laptop.php

It's kind of interesting.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

blackjack52

Re: Earthquake Monitoring Program
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 08:35:39 AM »
It looks interesting and quite the brainstorming idea, however, it requires your computer to go into sleep mode.  I don't think the wx software will let it.

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 02:28:27 PM »
Interesting. Just one problem. I no longer have a laptop.

WANTED: Laptop for earthquake monitoring.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 02:33:30 PM »
Well, I was thinking of getting a usb attachment for the desktop when I get my tax refund.  the desktop is running all the time anyway for the weather and webcam, so it might as well send earthquake data every 15 minutes, too.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 02:37:38 PM »
Oops!   :oops:

I put the wrong link in initially.  This is the main page:  http://qcn.stanford.edu/index.php

They do have attachments for desktops, too.

:oops:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 02:39:35 PM »
Just dont leave your laptop on your washer during the spin cycle....
Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 02:41:13 PM »
Actually, I have been thinking of running a wire down through the floor and placing the sensor on the ground because the house shakes when the washer is running.  I'll have to give that some more thought.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 03:09:09 PM »
Any other sources to purchase a sensor?

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 03:32:04 PM »
It would be interesting to know how the algorithm works to exclude all the normal jostling, bumping etc that occurs in daily laptop use.  even my office tower vibrates from HVAC, and sways in the wind. 

since its a network of sensors (or will be someday) it probably just excludes none confirmed vibes... in effect if only one volunteer is too far from the next they will probably have to ignore their findings till a local buddy can validate those results. just hope five people dont plunk their laptop down on a desk at the same time...

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 03:57:04 PM »
It would be interesting to know how the algorithm works to exclude all the normal jostling, bumping etc that occurs in daily laptop use.  even my office tower vibrates from HVAC, and sways in the wind.

This is from their website:

If our server receives a bunch of these times and significance measurements all at once, then it is likely that an earthquake is happening. If the server receives only a time and significance measurement from one laptop, then the server knows the laptop was shaken by something smaller and more local (like your sister running by, or the door slamming).

I guess it will be more accurate as more sensors are placed into service.

Greg
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

blackjack52

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 04:31:23 PM »
Any of your computers go into sleep mode :?:

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 11:58:05 PM »
It looks interesting and quite the brainstorming idea, however, it requires your computer to go into sleep mode.  I don't think the wx software will let it.

Where do you see that? I'm not running in sleep mode, never have and things are working fine.

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

blackjack52

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 08:40:59 AM »
When you sign-up, it's currently stated under Mac users, and probably will when they beta hp/think/usb.

To Join the network, click here. This software runs in the background when your computer is in sleep mode. It reports to the QCN server whenever it feels a strong new motion.
This would be how they ensure good inputs?

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 09:04:37 AM »
I am interested in joining but have 3 questions (so far) that I will ask of them.

1) I have a desktop that is running 24/7 but is rarely used.  I never have it in sleep mode.  Will it work.

2) I noticed that the sensor can be glued on.  I could attach it to a concrete footing directly beneath the computer in the crawl space.  The temperature would seldom fall below the freezing point.  A 10 foot USB cable would be required.  Would this be a a good location?

3) Would the data be available to post on my web site, if so would it have any meaning or purpose to the viewer?

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 09:12:25 AM »
I am interested in joining but have 3 questions (so far) that I will ask of them.

1) I have a desktop that is running 24/7 but is rarely used.  I never have it in sleep mode.  Will it work.

2) I noticed that the sensor can be glued on.  I could attach it to a concrete footing directly beneath the computer in the crawl space.  The temperature would seldom fall below the freezing point.  A 10 foot USB cable would be required.  Would this be a a good location?

3) Would the data be available to post on my web site, if so would it have any meaning or purpose to the viewer?

Good questions.  I have also considered the crawl space, as my washing machine shakes the house.  I could run the USB cable through the same hole as the phone line comes up, I suppose, although it would take slight alteration.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 09:50:56 AM »

Yes

I'd say this would be a great location.

Don't really know, but I'd venture to guess it wouldn't be available for your web site. Your best bet would be to ask them directly.

Bob

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 10:00:50 AM »
When you sign-up, it's currently stated under Mac users, and probably will when they beta hp/think/usb.

To Join the network, click here. This software runs in the background when your computer is in sleep mode. It reports to the QCN server whenever it feels a strong new motion.

Didn't see that, since I didn't even look at the laptop stuff.

Bob

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 10:08:38 AM »
This looks like an interesting map.  You can select a different time range for it.  Click on the icons for detailed information.  I don't know if this could be used on a website or not.

http://qcn.stanford.edu/qcnalpha/maptrig.php?cx=38&cy=-120&timeint=W
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 10:23:24 AM »

Didn't see that, since I didn't even look at the laptop stuff.

Bob

See the software manual page 8.  You can select for the software to run all the time, not just in sleep mode.

http://qcn.stanford.edu/downloads/QCN_USB_Sensor_Kit_Instructions_Windows.pdf
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

blackjack52

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 10:25:17 AM »
Cool, now they just have to release for PCs.

Offline xmas1313

• McKinleyville Weather Observatory
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 09:13:02 PM »
From looking at the manual and FAQ, it appears you can buy the external sensor, hook it up to a desktop PC, install their driver and software, and it should work.  I think the "sleep mode" reference only applies to laptops, since they assume if you're not in sleep mode, your likely jostling the computer around while using it.  Since the desktop external sensor can be placed well away from your workspace, you shouldn't have that problem.

blackjack52

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 09:14:18 PM »
Makes sense.

blackjack52

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »
I heard that monitoring earthquakes can cause you to be on shaky ground.  :-P   \:D/
=D>

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 02:30:24 PM »
The routines use BOINC (Berkeley Open Infrastrucutre for Network Computing) software to capture the data and upload it to the receiving site. I think "sleep" mode is a misnomer though. BOINC has a screen-saver package. So, when your system isn't being used, the screen saver kicks in and that is when it monitors your movement data. On a laptop there is time-out software that waits to monitor for any movement until your keyboard has been quiet for several seconds (i.e., no keys have been pressed for several seconds).

I used to do data crunching for the SETI program many years ago. It only ran when my PC went into screen-saver mode. I supect this earthquake monitoring package works the same way.

The home page for this project is: http://qcn.stanford.edu/index.php
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 01:17:27 PM »
Good find I looked for this a couple of years ago but then it was only for laptop that had the sensor built in. Now that they have the external sensor I've order one. Manual says it only take about 2 to 4% cpu if you run the program all the time so it should run on the Weather PC ok. Don't remember if it said how long the usb cable was might have to get an extension cable to get it to the basement.
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

anything