Author Topic: Receiving NOAA Weather Satellite images  (Read 2245 times)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Receiving NOAA Weather Satellite images
« on: April 12, 2016, 08:52:05 PM »
I've recently been playing around with this project to see if I could receive any images. Last night I think I got the SDR program "tweaked" pretty close with the SDR T.V. dongle and this afternoon started receiving stuff. this is from NOAA 19 satellite, so it does work. Obviously more adjustments need to me made. Different antenna locations next. Pretty fun project. ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 04:21:52 AM by DanS »

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: Receiving NOAA Weather Satellite images
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 10:21:35 PM »
Weather-wise "eyes" in the skies!
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 06:04:04 AM »
Weather-wise "eyes" in the skies!

You're exactly right and I realize this image capture can be obtained easily from weather satellite sites already out there it's just fun to do it yourself.

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 08:40:39 AM »
That's nice, Dan!!  Care to go into some of the basics of what you're doing?  I have an old Bearcat scanner I was tinkering with a couple of years ago...managed to get it to where I could here the satellites come over but never went forward with the project to tie it to the computer.  Oops!...I just saw that you included a link...I'll go check it out! ;)

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 08:52:25 AM »
Ok, I checked it out and is along the lines I was tinkering with.  Nice, more consolidated website to peruse.  When I get/make some free time I just might have to drag out the old scanner and see if I can make something happen.  Thanks for posting this and re-tweeking my interest, Dan!

Btw, I hope things are well with you.

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 04:43:23 PM »
Ed,
Remember that the passband for monitors is too narrow without fiddling with the filters in there somewhere.  You can hear the satellite pass over, but getting the full range of image was something that required a bit of tinkering with standard scanners.  And wideband was too wide if I recollect.

I got a specialized receiver built to the specs for satellite and liked it a lot.  There were some Vangards and all, too, and then the one that was just on eBay which was from Germany and top notch.  Wish I could have had more fun money bid higher on that one.

Ah, what fond memories.  This was a very big deal in the ham circles a couple decades ago (did I just type that, egad) and there were even forums at the Dayton Hamvention Saturday mornings for quite a few years. 

Too bad there wasn't the internet as there is now.

I was just out under my wooden deck and saw the crossed dipole I made for one of my projects and I still have a 130 MHz Quadrifilar Helix up on my roof that hasn't fed a signal to my shack in years, but could.  I often think metaphysically when I see it and wonder if the antenna is still getting the signal and looking at the image itself.  Not too many scotches, mind you.

Anyway, I'll look at that link, too.  I have a NooElec SDR around here somewhere and maybe my interest will spring up again if the software has evolved to being able to decode and watch it all on a regular PC without specialized decoder boards from the guys down in Maitland FL and the expense of it all.  I have to admit, the images from SSEC Modus feeds are very good, and HRPT is available from NOAA if you sign up.  Nowadays the data files seem small compared to a hour download over dial up.

Keep the hobby and interest alive.  Post ideas and notes.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 04:54:46 PM »
That's nice, Dan!!  Care to go into some of the basics of what you're doing?  I have an old Bearcat scanner I was tinkering with a couple of years ago...managed to get it to where I could here the satellites come over but never went forward with the project to tie it to the computer.  Oops!...I just saw that you included a link...I'll go check it out! ;)

Ed

Hi Ed, long time!  I've seen on several sites that they mention scanners may not work because of their narrower bandwidths, but I'd try anyway. I ordered a "off the air" T.V. SDR dongle off the Internet. The site I referenced describes the type needed (specific chipset) and they have the wider bandwidth needed. The antenna is probably what needs the most attention to detail. I built the QFH type using these dimensions. I'm on my 3rd build to get the dimensions more precise and think I'm there now. Good luck and give a shout if you need anything,
Dan
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 03:09:05 AM by DanS »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 02:23:25 PM »
Dan - you've reignited my interest in this subject! Like Dale, I have a NoElec SDR lying around here somewhere and I just might have to find it and try my luck building a QFH for it. I did try using my old scanner with a crossed dipole but, while I did receive some signals but they were full of noise. I suspected it was due mainly to the limited passband of the scanner but the antenna wasn't too good either.

This summer may be the time to resurrect the effort to get on-board with a new hobby - just what I need  :roll: ...
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

anything